Teen Sues Parents for Cash and College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

CaféAuLait;8764422 said:
Like I said, she has no case. She just went back home to her parents, even after she accused them of abusing her. She's mental.

Rachel Canning Goes Home to Her Parents - Fox Nation

It won't be long before someone starts to say she is suffering from "Stockholm syndrome" and thus the reason for her return home to this terribly abusive family. :eusa_boohoo:

Of note, the Cannings have hired a new firm of attorneys today, a pretty big firm while retaining the lawyer from their daughters case. I wonder if they are going to sue the lawyer Rachel was living with?

She suffering from something. It's called Generation Y....are you not giving me everything for free right now?

[MENTION=44124]Wake[/MENTION][MENTION]Againsheila[/MENTION]

Two things of interest:

Parsippany to file ethics charges against Inglesino

This is for ethics violations, unrelated to Rachel case

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/...hics-charges-against-Inglesino?nclick_check=1

But this is more interesting, Inglesino ( the attorney and family she was living with and the man who fronted her money for her attorney) and Rachel's attorney are refusing to accept she returned home and are still trying to break the family apart. After Rachel said she wanted to leave his home and return to her parents WITHOUT any financial arraignment at all and indeed left his home, have petitioned the court to appoint HIM as her guardian and are still suing for money for support.

Tanya Helfand, lawyer for 18-year-old Rachel Canning, filed an emergency application to seal records, close the courtroom and have a guardian, Inglesino, appointed for the young woman who made international headlines when she filed suit Feb. 24 in the Family Division of state Superior Court here asking for continued financial support even though she had moved from her parents' house.

They claim that they did not reconcile but Rachel spoke to her mom and all of a sudden changed her mind, they are saying they think her mom "pressured Rachel"

WTF??

Last edited:
Helfand’s emergency request was denied by Judge Peter Bogaard in Morristown, according to court documents.
http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/...-parents-back-home-attorney-says-dispute-over

But she still has not officially dropped the suit. I wonder what kind of requirements there are to "officially" drop it.

Helfand wrote in her application: “Just a few days ago Rachel Canning indicated that she could not go back home with her parents and she required a promise of some financial assistance going forward. Now, after speaking with her mother yesterday, she said she is waiving her complaint and is receiving no promises or consideration in return. The court did not determine if she is emancipated or not. A psychologist certified that the parents are abusive. School faculty certified that the parents abused the child.”

These attny's are either just nasty greedy people or so misguided they're just as bad.

A New Jersey teenager claiming that her mother and father tossed her out of their home and cut her off financially is suing them for immediate support, current private-school fees and future college tuition. The parents, meanwhile, say that daughter Rachel Canning, 18, moved out voluntarily after refusing to abide by their rules.

“We love our child and miss her. This is terrible. It’s killing me and my wife,” Rachel's father, Sean Canning, a town administrator and retired police officer, tells the Daily Record. “We have a child we want home. We’re not Draconian and now we’re getting hauled into court. She’s demanding that we pay her bills but she doesn’t want to live at home, and she’s saying, ‘I don’t want to live under your rules.’” The rules, he notes, include reconsidering her relationship with a boyfriend who may be a bad influence, being respectful, and abiding by her curfew. He and his wife, Elizabeth, who live in suburban Lincoln Park, about 25 miles outside of New York City, have kept their daughter’s car because they paid for it, says Canning, and he admits that they did stop paying Rachel's tuition at the private Morris Catholic High School. A hearing is scheduled to take place on Tuesday in the Morris County Superior Court.

Teen Sues Parents for Cash, College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

I think this young woman is in the wrong, because she refused to abide by her parents' rules while living in their home. What do you guys think of this situation?

[/SPOILER]

My opinion, they are crap progressive parents that raised a spoiled brat and are now feeling the pain. Well let them take care of what they created. They are responsible for their offspring and should pay for her education. If not then it will either fall on her, their product, or on the state and I sure don't want to pay for their mistake.

We all want those on welfare to accept responsibility for their actions. So now these parents should step up and take responsibility for the spoiled brat THEY brought into this world. I am tired of trying to correct everyone else's mess I have enough of my own to deal with.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8771295 said:
[MENTION=44124]Wake[/MENTION][MENTION]Againsheila[/MENTION]

Two things of interest:

Parsippany to file ethics charges against Inglesino

This is for ethics violations, unrelated to Rachel case

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/...hics-charges-against-Inglesino?nclick_check=1

But this is more interesting, Inglesino ( the attorney and family she was living with and the man who fronted her money for her attorney) and Rachel's attorney are refusing to accept she returned home and are still trying to break the family apart. After Rachel said she wanted to leave his home and return to her parents WITHOUT any financial arraignment at all and indeed left his home, have petitioned the court to appoint HIM as her guardian and are still suing for money for support.

Tanya Helfand, lawyer for 18-year-old Rachel Canning, filed an emergency application to seal records, close the courtroom and have a guardian, Inglesino, appointed for the young woman who made international headlines when she filed suit Feb. 24 in the Family Division of state Superior Court here asking for continued financial support even though she had moved from her parents' house.

They claim that they did not reconcile but Rachel spoke to her mom and all of a sudden changed her mind, they are saying they think her mom "pressured Rachel"

WTF??

Very interesting developments, my friend. These stinking lawyers...

*Leaves to prevent blowing up on the matter of humanoid leeches.*

:D:lol::smiliehug:

But, wait a minute. She was sexually abused, correct? So why would she go back voluntarily?

...Barb, where are you?

:badgrin::D

[MENTION=44124]Wake[/MENTION]

Rachel appeared in court today (3-18-14) and testified she wanted to drop her suit.

(CNN) -- A high school senior who sued her mother and father for financial support and college tuition dropped the lawsuit Tuesday, according to a decision by a Superior Court judge in Morristown, New Jersey.

Rachel Canning, 18, who returned home and reunited with her parents in Lincoln Park a week ago, appeared in court and testified that she decided to dismiss her complaint.

Judge Peter A. Bogaard ruled that Canning's "decision to dismiss the litigation was a knowing and voluntary decision."

New Jersey student drops lawsuit against parents - CNN.com

Guess her lawyers won't get the big payday and publicity they were looking for, and the lawyer guy who wanted custody won't get that either. Perhaps he did not want to keep paying since the lawyer fees were denied.

Last edited:
Now that she's dropped the suit and gone back to her parents, can we hear from those who said she was being abused? That we weren't giving her a fair shake? That we didn't understand?

I'm right here, and still :disagree:

Her dropping the suit proves nothing except who has the upper hand. It's over though.

Now that she's dropped the suit and gone back to her parents, can we hear from those who said she was being abused? That we weren't giving her a fair shake? That we didn't understand?

"Do we want to establish a precedent where parents live in basic fear of establishing rules of the house?" Judge Bogaard said.

Apparently some of us do :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back