Teen Pregnancy: what are we doing wrong?

Why is it a big deal that we have higher teen pregnancy rates than European countries?

:dunno:

Children born to teenage parents are more likely to grow up in poverty; less likely to finish high school; and less likely to achieve economic success as adults. In essence, teen parenthood creates a nearly permanent underclass that we all end up paying for via tax dollars. Preventing teen pregnancies would amount to a tangible cash bonus for those of us who pay taxes, so we have a financial investment in doing it properly.

But who is to say that's not a more naturally stable societal model?

I listed facts. And the data is indisputable.

Your conclusions about what the data means are arbitrary and subjective, not to mention obtuse and wrong. Of course, this is my subjective opinion, but it's every bit as valid as your extremely disputable conclusions.

No.
You are leaving one thing out - the use of oral contraceptives...especially birth control pills in girls as young as 12. According to Thomson Rueters teen oral contraceptive use is nearing 40%.
It goes without saying that this alone is the reason for lower teen rates in the 2000's. This is a no-brainer.
That doesn't change the fact that white girls are 5 times more likely to be a teen mother in a single parent home as traditional home.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...k350UPW9bZ228JTQA&sig2=yOHD76_FlOvl8y08DwgJiw

Last edited:
i listed facts. And the data is indisputable.

your conclusions about what the data means are arbitrary and subjective, not to mention obtuse and wrong. Of course, this is my subjective opinion, but it's every bit as valid as your extremely disputable conclusions.

no.
You are leaving one thing out - the use of oral contraceptives...especially birth control pills in girls as young as 12. According to thomson rueters teen oral contraceptive use is nearing 40%.
It goes without saying that this alone is the reason for lower teen rates in the 2000's. This is a no-brainer.
That doesn't change the fact that white girls are 5 times more likely to be a teen mother in a single parent home as traditional home.

Redirect Notice

lol wut?

I'm informed that teen pregnancy is down both in percentage terms AND in absolute numbers, too.

Have I been misinformed, Catz?

your conclusions about what the data means are arbitrary and subjective, not to mention obtuse and wrong. Of course, this is my subjective opinion, but it's every bit as valid as your extremely disputable conclusions.

no.
You are leaving one thing out - the use of oral contraceptives...especially birth control pills in girls as young as 12. According to thomson rueters teen oral contraceptive use is nearing 40%.

Redirect Notice

lol wut?

WHat do you mean what?
You don't think the dramatic increase in the use of oral contraceptives in teenagers has anything to do with the decline in teen pregnancy?
really??

[WHat do you mean what?
You don't think the dramatic increase in the use of oral contraceptives in teenagers has anything to do with the decline in teen pregnancy?
really??

Total nonsequitur. When were we talking about oral contraceptives. You randomly brought up the topic as if it were something I'd forgotten. Very strange. You should get that tendency checked out.

That is non sequitur...two words.
Whatever meow...you think bringing oral contraceptives into a discussion is an illogical argument...then well....you should go back to listening to J-Lo.

Whatever meow...you think bringing oral contraceptives into a discussion is an illogical argument...then well....you should go back to listening to J-Lo.

I think that bringing oral contraceptives into the discussion--randomly, and with the implication that I am unaware of their use and existence--is exceedingly strange. Perhaps you should go back to listening to Lawrence Welk on the nursing home's communal television.

I think that bringing oral contraceptives into the discussion--randomly, and with the implication that I am unaware of their use and existence--is exceedingly strange. Perhaps you should go back to listening to Lawrence Welk on the nursing home's communal television.

1) I said that I believe teen pregnancy rates are tied (not exclusively) to children raised without a father in their lives.
2) You say I was being obtuse...which is pretty random and strange to say, but OK and you provide a graph showing teen pregnancy going down and say I am being subjective.
3) I point out that your data is missing an important factor - the use of oral contraceptives.
4) You say that is nonsequitur (should be non sequitur)

Yeah... :cuckoo:

Last edited:
1) I said that I believe teen pregnancy rates are tied (not exclusively) to children raised without a father in their lives.

You have not proven causality between your (unquoted) data and your argument. That's why I said you were being obtuse.

I sourced the data...I don't know what you are talking about. I went further than a link - I listed the full name of the study and the year. Have you ever written a college paper? Try listing a link as a source.

But if you must have links...

Does Father Absence Place Daughters at Special Risk for Early Sexual Activity and Teenage Pregnancy?

As it relates to exponentially higher rates of poverty and misbehavior.
Teen Pregnancy Prevention: Welfare Reform's Missing Component - Brookings Institution

Reducing Unwed Childbearing: The Missing Link in Efforts to Promote Marriage - Brookings Institution

Well, I'm going to be painfully honest.

This is what happens when religious groups and such make the struggle to block the morning after pill or such contraception. And you have to be over 17 go get it over the counter also.
Now look at all the kids who are going to have lives not worth living as a result. I honestly don't blame the parents for being human or doing human things, but this could be prevented if contraception was offered on a rare occasion. If anything, religious groups who pushed for the ban on contraception should be held responsible. They are the main problem with our pregnancy rates.

We are only human.

Well, I'm going to be painfully honest.

This is what happens when religious groups and such make the struggle to block the morning after pill or such contraception. And you have to be over 17 go get it over the counter also.
Now look at all the kids who are going to have lives not worth living as a result. I honestly don't blame the parents for being human or doing human things, but this could be prevented if contraception was offered on a rare occasion. If anything, religious groups who pushed for the ban on contraception should be held responsible. They are the main problem with our pregnancy rates.

We are only human.

Typical far left attitude. Trying to find 'responsibility' everywhere but in the individual. And just what do you mean by "lives not worth living"?

Forum List

Back