Team party stuns room full of scientific activist

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Where is Rdean and his / her propaganda now?

WASHINGTON -- Two minutes into a speech Tuesday morning, Rep. Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.) turned to the subject of his hair. He had shaved his head recently to honor the top official at the research department at the University of Arizona, who had died from pancreatic cancer. It was growing back.

There was poignancy to the gesture -- and a reason to mention it -- since Salmon was addressing the American Cancer Society's Stand Up To Cancer event in the Cannon House Office building. After explaining his buzz cut and recounting how the disease had affected the lives of those he knew, loved and respected, Salmon made a plea.

"I'm kind of an unlikely candidate to be here today probably for a lot of reasons," he said. "I've been recognized by numerous groups as one of the most tight-fisted people in the entire Congress. ... That having been said, I believe with all my heart and soul that if the federal government doesn't lead the way on conquering cancer that it won't get done."

The audience, including hundreds of activists there to lobby lawmakers for biomedical research, was gleeful. A self-described fiscal hawk who once said he welcomed the idea of a government shutdown was calling for billions of dollars to be spent on their cause.

They'd have more reason to cheer soon after that.

How Tea Party Republicans Stunned A Room Full Of Scientific Research Activists

Forum List

Back