Team of archaeologists uncovers unprecedented non-biblical figures in decorations at

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
It's always interesting to read about ancient things that archeologists have dug up. Those of us who live in big cities have had the opportunity to see some of the relics.

Team of archaeologists uncovers unprecedented non-biblical figures in decorations at Huqoq, a 5th-century Jewish village

BY ILAN BEN ZION August 4, 2014

Pachyderms find no mention in the Bible. So Professor Jodi Magness was astonished to uncover a mosaic in an ancient Galilean village’s synagogue which featured, of all things, a group of elephants.

Excavations at Huqoq began in 2011, and during the first season archaeologists led by Magness found the wall of a synagogue. In the subsequent seasons, Magness’s team uncovered portions of the Galilean synagogue’s mosaics. The part of the mosaic uncovered this summer, however, stunned archaeologists because it’s the first time they’ve found a synagogue decorated with a non-biblical story scene.

Magness, a professor of Early Judaism at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, spoke to The Times of Israel about her team’s latest discovery this summer: an enormous, ornate section of the 5th-century synagogue’s floor which tells a story in a mosaic. Which story, however, remains a subject of debate.

Read more:

http//www.timesofisrael.com/stunning-mosaic-found-at-ancient-galilee-synagogue/#ixzz39YxruElf

Cool! Man imagine if all the world had been excavated and explored to the extent that Israel has been. Imagine the things we'd find!

Archeologists are busy all over the world finding many things from the past. By the way, if you are ever in Los Angeles, visit the LaBrea Tar pits where you can view the people down below digging and finding bones of animals from millions of years ago, animals that aren't around anymore like the saber tooth tiger. You will see tar oozing through the sidewalks.

Cool! Man imagine if all the world had been excavated and explored to the extent that Israel has been. Imagine the things we'd find!

The land that ACHES to be excavated is Saudi Arabia----Saudi Arabia harbored large populations
of Jews for more than 1000 years before the rapist of mecca came about-----and Christians for about 500
years -----before the rapist completed just about the only comprehensive genocide of two peoples----
in history The history of islam depends upon it-----and the sad history of the peoples who died
there in the barbaric genocides. Another very interesting history is the development
of Arabized Hebrew. which probably PRECEDES written Arabic. I have no doubt that somewhere
buriding in the erstwhile YATHRIB----now called 'medina' are discussions of the rapist of
the Arabia in his barbarity

Archeologists are busy all over the world finding many things from the past. By the way, if you are ever in Los Angeles, visit the LaBrea Tar pits where you can view the people down below digging and finding bones of animals from millions of years ago, animals that aren't around anymore like the saber tooth tiger. You will see tar oozing through the sidewalks.

That's one of the places I DREAM of visiting. Hopefully in the next couple years :thup:

That's one of the places I DREAM of visiting. Hopefully in the next couple years :thup:

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can make it. Be sure to visit the Page Museum.

Home Page | Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits

a cashe of jewish era coins was found by archeologist in Israel.
There are some remarkable finds elsewhere in the world....and sadly defacing and destruction of history by fanatics in others.

for the record-----and just to be picky----elephants are mentioned in the
book of the bible MACCABEES------the army of lousy evil ANTIOCHUS----used
elephants as a kind of war machine

>>The Ptolemies and the Carthaginians began acquiring African elephants for the same purpose, as did the Numidians and the Kushites. The animal used was the North African forest elephant[19] which would become extinct from over-exploitation.[citation needed] These animals were smaller than the Asian elephants used by the Seleucids on the east of the Mediterranean region, particularly those from Syria,[20] which stood 2.5-3.5 meters (8–10 ft) at the shoulder. It is likely that at least some Syrian elephants were traded abroad. The favorite, and perhaps last surviving elephant of Hannibal's 218 B.C. crossing of the Alps was an impressive animal named Surus ("the Syrian"), and may have been of Syrian stock,[21] though the evidence remains ambiguous.[22]<<
War elephant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

>>The Ptolemies and the Carthaginians began acquiring African elephants for the same purpose, as did the Numidians and the Kushites. The animal used was the North African forest elephant[19] which would become extinct from over-exploitation.[citation needed] These animals were smaller than the Asian elephants used by the Seleucids on the east of the Mediterranean region, particularly those from Syria,[20] which stood 2.5-3.5 meters (8–10 ft) at the shoulder. It is likely that at least some Syrian elephants were traded abroad. The favorite, and perhaps last surviving elephant of Hannibal's 218 B.C. crossing of the Alps was an impressive animal named Surus ("the Syrian"), and may have been of Syrian stock,[21] though the evidence remains ambiguous.[22]<<
War elephant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I support the renewal of the USE of elephants-----for transportation and for work---uhm--
moving big things around. Think of the energy savings and most of all
EXTRA FERTILIZER I did not know that there are little elephants-----sounds perfect----
I need a little one. I could hitch him up to the fire hydrant Automobiles are going
to destroy mankind----render homo sapiens EXTINCT-----and penniless (first penniless---
then extinct) How do elephants do in snow? -----their---PRODUCTS have been used
in art. I don't mean the ivory or the bone or the -----teeth--------that fertilizer stuff.
Anyone out there get to see --------MADONNA DUNG??? I have also read that people do
eat elephant meat. ------its a mammal. If it chews cud and has cloven hooves-----it might
be kosher ??? Zebras are kosher (if the butcher can manage to find the neurovascular
bundle in the neck-----somewhere----up there.....or over there)

The land that ACHES to be excavated is Saudi Arabia----Saudi Arabia harbored large populations
of Jews for more than 1000 years before the rapist of mecca came about-----and Christians for about 500
years -----before the rapist completed just about the only comprehensive genocide of two peoples----
in history The history of islam depends upon it-----and the sad history of the peoples who died
there in the barbaric genocides. Another very interesting history is the development
of Arabized Hebrew. which probably PRECEDES written Arabic. I have no doubt that somewhere
buriding in the erstwhile YATHRIB----now called 'medina' are discussions of the rapist of
the Arabia in his barbarity

There was no large population of Jews in Arabia.. there was never a large population.

Most of them returned to Jericho where they were from.

There was no large population of Jews in Arabia.. there was never a large population.

Most of them returned to Jericho where they were from.
LOL----another khutbah jumaat reconstruction-----JERICHO. There was never
a large population of jews ANYWHERE---just a very significant one that rendered the rapist pig of arabia HYSTERICAL

LOL----another khutbah jumaat reconstruction-----JERICHO. There was never
a large population of jews ANYWHERE---just a very significant one that rendered the rapist pig of arabia HYSTERICAL

Neither Arabia nor Palestine had large populations. The environment was harsh and couldn't support a large population.

Forum List

Back