Teaching English

Rodimus

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2021
I believe you need to know the language of the student to teach English to him or her. For example, you cannot teach English to a Spanish-speaking student with just English, whether the student is a child or adult. If you want to teach English in another country, you need to know the language of the country you want to teach and live in.

I believe you need to know the language of the student to teach English to him or her. For example, you cannot teach English to a Spanish-speaking student with just English, whether the student is a child or adult. If you want to teach English in another country, you need to know the language of the country you want to teach and live in.
BS. Depends on the level of the student.

You are mistaken.

I believe you need to know the language of the student to teach English to him or her.
1. You may be right.

2. But here in Los Angeles, the board of education believes that teachers of ESL (English as a Second Language) should use only English.

3. Students in ESL classes often come from many different countries. It would be impossible to find a teacher that knows so many languages.

4. And probably most students WANT instruction only in English.

Last edited:
If it didn’t work, then those other countries wouldn’t keep hiring American teachers who have little-to-no knowledge of another language to come teach English. Obviously.

Wrong. Plenty of people teach English using just the English language.

It's a valid point. If you can't speak the language of the students, How will you teach them English?
It is exactly how my parents arranged for me to speak faultless French .
My specifically selected teacher refused to speak one word of English during my private lessons .
Without exception .
Any kid --- for me about 12 years of age from memory --- is completely isolated in that type of situation and can choose to swim or be a gutless wimp .
Tough love .

Forum List

Back