Tongue Tied Two

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
The Arabic club meets one day a week after school in my classroom (every club has to have a faculty supervisor). This week only one student showed up (standardized testing this week has a lot of kids worn out), so the president of the club spent the time teaching the young man a little bit of Arabic speaking and writing. Since her first language is Arabic and his is Spanish, the two of them had to try and navigate the communication using English as their common language. It was kind of funny watching them both try to work their way around some of the phonetic differences that came up. They both got more out of it in terms of their English skills than anything else. And maybe the world got a little smaller.

The significant majority of students in my ESL classes right now are native Spanish speakers, but we do have a good number of students who speak French, Haitian Creole, Portuguese, etc. However, when a class has one or two speakers of more minority languages, the other students usually show a great interest in that language/culture/background. It's interesting to see.

The Arabic club meets one day a week after school in my classroom (every club has to have a faculty supervisor). This week only one student showed up (standardized testing this week has a lot of kids worn out), so the president of the club spent the time teaching the young man a little bit of Arabic speaking and writing. Since her first language is Arabic and his is Spanish, the two of them had to try and navigate the communication using English as their common language. It was kind of funny watching them both try to work their way around some of the phonetic differences that came up. They both got more out of it in terms of their English skills than anything else. And maybe the world got a little smaller.
I'm not sure what's "funny" or "fake news" about any of that ^^^.

I'm not sure what's "funny" or "fake news" about any of that ^^^.
I find it somewhat pussy-ish when posters do that without actually posting their opinions and engaging in a debate

If you can’t debate something and support your opinion, you must not feel very strongly about it

The Arabic club meets again today. I had been hoping to cook something for the kids and bring it, but the weekend got busy.

Forum List

Back