Teach the kids this.

Almost all of my Blue Collar co-workers can build a Permit perfect house from scratch.
So they are being taught these skills.
Great.

Looks like these skills can be taught at home too.
Why do you think this is a school issue.

I tell you it is taught, you mention you have many friends that could do this without the help of school.
Then you bitch about it NOT being taught is school.

My high school had the basic woodshop and metal shop classes. It also had mechanical drawing and engineering drawing, along with architectural drawing and school work programs in construction and machining starting at age 16 for students not in the college bound paths, essentially apprenticeships, and also ROTC. Some of us made enough money to buy cars, clothes, and party money while going to school.

Do you not know how to cite a quotation, or are you a plagiarist like Joe Biden?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." — Albert Einstein
I was just too lazy to go back and get the correct wording. :(

But I'm glad you did. :)

Now you can think about it. ;)

Lots of studies about why lessons are quickly forgotten. Personally I best retained topics that were interesting and well taught. Topics that I didn't like or required memorization were usually soon forgotten (Latin comes to mind).

Last edited:
I was just too lazy to go back and get the correct wording. :(

But I'm glad you did. :)

Now you can think about it. ;)

Lots of studies about why lessons are quickly forgotten. Personally I best retained topics that were interesting and well taught. Topics that I didn't like or required memorization were usually soon forgotten (Latin comes to mind).
Thank you, Mr. MOTO! I was a teacher for 21 years.

Thank you, Mr. MOTO! I was a teacher for 21 years.
Was it your belief that when you grade your students you are also grading yourself, that you and your students succeed, or fail, together?

The best teacher I ever had was in the Army. He was teaching an artillery survey course (MOS 153.00). He introduced the course by saying, "You will learn this stuff." It took two teachers, with differing teaching styles, to get it through to all of us. We were also required to teach each other, so instead of two teachers we had a room full of them.

Last edited:
Was it your belief that when you grade your students you are also grading yourself, that you and your students succeed, or fail, together?

The best teacher I ever had was in the Army. He was teaching an artillery survey course (MOS 153.00). He introduced the course by saying, "You will learn this stuff." It took two teachers, with differing teaching styles, to get it through to all of us. We were also required to teach each other, so instead of two teachers we had a room full of them.
If they all did not understand the material, I knew I needed another approach.

What the heck is MOS 153.00? The Artillery MOS is 13B.

Teach the kids to respect the rules of the school. Of course, that would require the support of the parents at home which is not the case. Basically today, the parents impose their will to change to school rules highlighting to the kids that there are no rules that really need to be followed. It's sad and coupled with the pandemic it has resulted in a tremendous teacher shortage.

Teach the kids to respect the rules of the school. Of course, that would require the support of the parents at home which is not the case. Basically today, the parents impose their will to change to school rules highlighting to the kids that there are no rules that really need to be followed. It's sad and coupled with the pandemic it has resulted in a tremendous teacher shortage.
That's a broad generalization.

Forum List

Back