Teach the kids this.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
How to properly tie their shoes. This should be done as soon as possible. Learning this would reveal to them that there is whole body of needed knowledge outside of the classroom that they must have to make their lives better and remove some aggravation. Later they can be taught how to keep a toilet from overflowing, and how to flatten boxes. Wiping their muddy feet before entering a building would also be profitable.

How to properly tie their shoes. This should be done as soon as possible. Learning this would reveal to them that there is whole body of needed knowledge outside of the classroom that they must have to make their lives better and remove some aggravation. Later they can be taught how to keep a toilet from overflowing, and how to flatten boxes. Wiping their muddy feet before entering a building would also be profitable.
You seem to be making a statement that reflects your opinion that those life skills should be taught to school children, at the expense of other topics? What topics would you choose to sacrifice.

It just doesn't seem likely that your priority is simply in children learning to tie their shoes! Is it?

How much can one make from teaching a child to wipe their shoes off?

You seem to be making a statement that reflects your opinion that those life skills should be taught to school children, at the expense of other topics? What topics would you choose to sacrifice.

It just doesn't seem likely that your priority is simply in children learning to tie their shoes! Is it?
Part of every school day should be spent teaching kids these things. There's more to education than the three R's. Tidbits of useful knowledge don't require study or a test (although the toilet thing would take a few more minutes).

Last edited:
Woods isn't concerned with that. We should try to draw him/her out on his/her real concerns.
My concern is that they are not being taught what they should be taught while they are all together in one place. I suggest regular lectures on citizenship and personal responsibility as well as general knowledge stuff.

Recall the expression, "Why didn't anyone tell me this?" Note that the term teach wasn't used as many bits of valuable knowledge need only be mentioned briefly. An example would be how to tie your shoes properly, that is make sure the loop is shorter than the tail end. Then the laces won't 'knot up' when pulled. This is a simple fix for an annoying problem. :)

Last edited:
My concern is that they are not being taught what they should be taught while they are all together in one place under the authority of the state. I suggest regular lectures on citizenship and personal responsibility.
More citizenship equals more nationalist dogma and you most likely haven't the slightest idea on how much presonal responsibility is being taught. Much less even care.

But here's your opportunity to show your concerns are genuine!

More citizenship equals more nationalist dogma and you most likely haven't the slightest idea on how much presonal responsibility is being taught. Much less even care.

But here's your opportunity to show your concerns are genuine!

Most problems are caused by the irresponsible acts and actions of individuals. Many from simple lack of knowledge or awareness. Good citizenship has no borders, and why shouldn't the individual be responsible for his or her actions?

Most problems are caused by the irresponsible acts and actions of individuals. Many from simple lack of knowledge or awareness. Good citizenship has no borders, and why shouldn't the individual be responsible for his or her actions?
If you want attention then you're going to have to compete for it. Generalizations won't do it. Turn this into a worthwhile discussion or get lost in the jungle of spamming.

Part of every school day should be spent teaching kids these things. There's more to education than the three R's. Tidbits of useful knowledge don't require study or a test (although the toilet thing would take a few more minutes).

Why shouldn't all of these things be taught by their parents? This has nothing to do with schools.

My concern is that they are not being taught what they should be taught while they are all together in one place. I suggest regular lectures on citizenship and personal responsibility as well as general knowledge stuff.

Recall the expression, "Why didn't anyone tell me this?" Note that the term teach wasn't used as many bits of valuable knowledge need only be mentioned briefly. An example would be how to tie your shoes properly, that is make sure the loop is shorter than the tail end. Then the laces won't 'knot up' when pulled. This is a simple fix for an annoying problem. :)

Well thanks Woody. No ever mentioned about anything about the loop size. While you're at it - teach the kids to HOARD good laces in various lengths and colors. You can hardly find any for shoes that aren't recreational or athletic.

We USED to do MORE on this. Not that many years ago. We had Home Economics and Shop Class and even apprenticeships for credit. Gone the way of choral and music and art. Because the schools are failing to do even the BASICS -- all the "life skills" have been purged.

I'd be ALL FOR "basic gun safety" while you're at it. The goal would be to make it to 21 without being shot in a drive-by or incarcerated for crime crimes.

Well thanks Woody. No ever mentioned about anything about the loop size. While you're at it - teach the kids to HOARD good laces in various lengths and colors. You can hardly find any for shoes that aren't recreational or athletic.

We USED to do MORE on this. Not that many years ago. We had Home Economics and Shop Class and even apprenticeships for credit. Gone the way of choral and music and art. Because the schools are failing to do even the BASICS -- all the "life skills" have been purged.

I'd be ALL FOR "basic gun safety" while you're at it. The goal would be to make it to 21 without being shot in a drive-by or incarcerated for crime crimes.
If your kid is in kindergarten and doesn't know how to tie their shoes, the fault lies with you!

Why shouldn't all of these things be taught by their parents? This has nothing to do with schools.
They should be but aren't. The school has more authority and thus the kids take it more seriously. The school can 'formalize' these things ensuring that the kids actually hear them at least once. Even the smallest piece of such mundane information can save a person lots of problems and expense later in life.

Health is probably the most important subject needed by kids in all grades, even college. I'm certain more people would care for their health if they knew how.

How about Home Economics in High School?

I thought the shoelace thing would save a lot of aggravation, for young kids and parents.

I had a woodworking class in junior high (1950's). It was a wasted 6 weeks. We made small 'brick-a-brac' shelves, something old ladies would use to display ceramic figurines on the wall. We used only three tools (plus sandpaper): Block plane, coping saw, hand drill. Also stain and varnish. The course was more fit for cabinet making. However, most guys would more likely go into general carpentry.

I also took a sheet metal class where we made mailboxes when we should have been learning to fabricate ductwork for heating systems. Another waste.

I thought the shoelace thing would save a lot of aggravation, for young kids and parents.

I had a woodworking class in junior high (1950's). It was a wasted 6 weeks. We made small 'brick-a-brac' shelves, something old ladies would use to display ceramic figurines on the wall. We used only three tools (plus sandpaper): Block plane, coping saw, hand drill. Also stain and varnish. The course was more fit for cabinet making. However, most guys would more likely go into general carpentry.

I also took a sheet metal class where we made mailboxes when we should have been learning to fabricate ductwork for heating systems. Another waste.
I too on the woodworking and I consider it very useful for life later on. No sheet metal but metalwork that also stimulated my interest later in life.

Both became highly useful for building two houses after I retired from electricity/instrumentation field. I wished I have a plumbing class to fall back on. The ABS work was tricky.

I know we had rules about how the laces went into the shoes and boots.
I don't recall those rules when I was in the Army but I always threaded my boot laces so that both ends would remain the same length, and that they wouldn't pull out of the topmost 'eye'. I also would 'double tie' them so they wouldn't come untied.

Forum List

Back