Teach the kids this.

My concern is that they are not being taught what they should be taught while they are all together in one place. I suggest regular lectures on citizenship and personal responsibility as well as general knowledge stuff.

Recall the expression, "Why didn't anyone tell me this?" Note that the term teach wasn't used as many bits of valuable knowledge need only be mentioned briefly. An example would be how to tie your shoes properly, that is make sure the loop is shorter than the tail end. Then the laces won't 'knot up' when pulled. This is a simple fix for an annoying problem. :)
Don't you think that maybe that stuff should be something they learn at home?

..... Not that many years ago. We had Home Economics and Shop Class and even apprenticeships for credit. Gone the way of choral and music and art. .....
Music and art are still offered in schools, and vocational schools focus on many, many practical skills and offer real world experience. More and more high schools offer early college courses where students earn credits toward a college degree while still in high school.

Your parents didn't know this. Neither did their teachers.

Were you raised by shoemakers or something? Maybe wolves? Because if parents AND teachers dont it and I just learned it -- but haven't verified it -- I'm wondering who taught you this.

If it was self-taught -- then you should be starting your own website for getting the message out.. LOL...

They should be but aren't. The school has more authority and thus the kids take it more seriously. The school can 'formalize' these things ensuring that the kids actually hear them at least once. Even the smallest piece of such mundane information can save a person lots of problems and expense later in life.

Health is probably the most important subject needed by kids in all grades, even college. I'm certain more people would care for their health if they knew how.
I'm sorry! Teachers have enough to do than teach things they should already have been taught by their parents.

In regard to health, it was a required class in every school district I worked in. Perhaps you need to earn what schools do teach.

Part of every school day should be spent teaching kids these things. There's more to education than the three R's. Tidbits of useful knowledge don't require study or a test (although the toilet thing would take a few more minutes).
For K-1 grades, I can see them learning some basics that the parents should be teaching them, if they happen to not know.
For the upper grades, they need to be focusing on how to prepare for the "the adult working world."
A class on careers. Having students put down their top three or four occupation ideas, what they like about those choices, their drawbacks and what would be needed to obtain the jobs. Germany used to (I don't know if they still do), have company scouts come into high schools to seek anyone interested in joining their companies after the students graduate high school, if they weren't interested in pursuing college.

For K-1 grades, I can see them learning some basics that the parents should be teaching them, if they happen to not know.
For the upper grades, they need to be focusing on how to prepare for the "the adult working world."
A class on careers. Having students put down their top three or four occupation ideas, what they like about those choices, their drawbacks and what would be needed to obtain the jobs. Germany used to (I don't know if they still do), have company scouts come into high schools to seek anyone interested in joining their companies after the students graduate high school, if they weren't interested in pursuing college.

Today's students have no clue as to what they want to do in life.

I'm sorry! Teachers have enough to do than teach things they should already have been taught by their parents.

In regard to health, it was a required class in every school district I worked in. Perhaps you need to earn what schools do teach.
In Blue cities health is learning where to go for an abortion.

So, why so many sick people?

But parents likely don't know this stuff. That's why the younger generation should be taught these things. Such tidbits can be like having a compass, just in case you get lost. Also, some topics are difficult for parents to talk about with their kids. Teachers can be dispassionate and impersonal while getting the message across.

Were you raised by shoemakers or something? Maybe wolves? Because if parents AND teachers dont it and I just learned it -- but haven't verified it -- I'm wondering who taught you this.

If it was self-taught -- then you should be starting your own website for getting the message out.. LOL...
Kids would take it more seriously if taught in school.

Forum List

Back