Tax Cuts Steal Democracy

Did Russia expose the corruption of the DNC and HRC? Was that wrong?
Should that corruption have remained hidden from the public? Is that why you're mad?

LOL! So it's OK to collude with a hostile foreign power so long as it results in you scoring political points at home? Gee, that's nearly the exact same case Nixon laid out when he colluded with Conservative operatives to break into the DNC headquarters at Watergate. What happened to Nixon after that? I mean after he won the 1972 election? Oh right, he resigned and had to be pardoned by Ford because he conspired to "hack" the Democratic National Committee. So how is this any different?

It was also no surprise to anyone paying attention the DNC was in the tank for Hillary. That has nothing to do with Conservatives colluding with Russia to sway the election in their favor. Until we know the full extent of Russia's influence in the Trump Administration and the GOP, their entire agenda should be put on indefinite hold "until we can figure out what the hell is going on!". .
Sore-Loser Demwits Reaching and Retching

Nixon's men didn't reveal anything corrupt about McGovern's DNC, but Putin did about Hillary's DNC. So the cases are completely different. As for Trump's contacts with Russia, he was trying to see if he could partner with Russia to get us thousands of jobs, billions in profits, and billions saved by getting out of imperialist NYETO.

Without a defense there IS NO country, and that means there is NO welfare system.

$600B sure didn't stop Russian hackers and spies from infiltrating and compromising the Presidential campaign of the Republican nominee, and most likely the Republican Party infrastructure itself. Tanks that the Pentagon doesn't want aren't going to stop Russian hackers from attacking our networks. 21st century warfare isn't 20th century warfare. The nation with the biggest army isn't necessarily the most powerful. We can spend half as much on defense as we do now and be just as safe, as long as we change our thinking to match the 21st century threats which are; environmental, digital, and viral. Not who-has-more-tanks, or who's-plane-can-fly-the-fastest (when it's not raining of course). Those are nice dick-measuring things, but not very relevant to 21st-century battlefields.

Tax-rate cuts are different from tax cuts.

No, they're not. They're the same thing. No need to parse.

Drumpf could easily double the tax base by opening up full development of our natural resources.

Here's some cold reality for you; because of the natural gas bubble, the price of oil is at historic lows. In order for shale oil (the type of resources I think you're referring to here) to become profitable, it has to get up to at least $90/barrel. Why? Because the cost of extracting and refining Alberta sludge is far more than the cost of extracting and refining sweet crude (like you get from Saudi Arabia). The only reason they want to build KXL is because that way, the Canadian oil company can sell the sludge for the same price on the global markets that sweet crude goes for. There already are pipelines that carry oil into the US from the Tar Sands. So much oil, in fact, that it is currently oversupplied which means the Tar Sands sludge is discounted for US consumers because it can only come to the US. If that sludge is allowed to go to the Gulf, it will fetch a higher price by eliminating the oversupply in the US while being offered to global buyers. So if anything, KXL is going to increase energy costs here. Which means higher costs. Which means fewer jobs. Anyone who supports KXL does not know or understand how global oil markets work. If they did, they would oppose the pipeline because it would increase costs for consumers and businesses in the US. TransCanada (the company that wants the pipeline) even said so themselves in their permit application.

Furthermore, do you know that the United States exports oil? So why do we need to drill more if oil companies here are selling the oil from our lands to foreign buyers like China? Shouldn't there be no oil exports, period? How about before we start drilling in more places, we stop the oil companies from selling our oil to China first? Then see where we net out? Why is that not something the right-wing even considers?

Average real wages have increased since 1980

No, they haven't. In fact, when adjusted for inflation and according to the chart, in 2014, average real wages were below what they were in 1980. Why is that? Because of tax cuts.

So what are you whining about? Besides admitting your original claim was wrong?

My claim isn't wrong. You just don't understand math. You say average real wages have increased since 1980. And you would be correct if you weren't adjusting the wages for inflation. Doing so means that the average real wage has declined since 1980 because the rate of wage increases was outpaced by inflation. How does that happen? Simple; by giving more wealth to the top and not having it trickle-down as promised. It's been 37 years, when is the trickle-down supposed to start?

Nixon's men didn't reveal anything corrupt about McGovern's DNC

That's not the point. The suspect ends do not justify the means. Colluding with a foreign power to hack your political opponents for political gain is treason. If the allegations are true, there is no telling how deep that treason runs. Was it contained to the Trump Administration, or if it filtered all the way down to individual candidates from the Republican Party and their media surrogates on Fox and on Talk Radio? Trump picked Gorsuch for the Supreme Court. Was that his pick? Was it Putin's pick? Does Gorsuch have Russia ties too? WE DON'T KNOW.

And until we know for sure, the entire GOP/Trump agenda needs to be put on indefinite hold until we can figure out what the hell is going on!

Besides, we all knew the DNC was in the tank for Hillary, so that dump didn't tell us anything we didn't already know anyway. Nor was that what was used as the cudgel during the period of time post-conventions. So you're trying to retroactively say it mattered when it actually didn't. That's not what swayed the campaign. What swayed the campaign was the steady drip of e-mails related to Clinton's use of a private server. In fact, Flynn and Trump both said because of that, she should go to jail. BTW - both Trump and Flynn used and continue to use private servers.

So nice try at rewriting history, but it wasn't that long ago and we still remember.

As for Trump's contacts with Russia, he was trying to see if he could partner with Russia to get us thousands of jobs, billions in profits, and billions saved by getting out of imperialist NYETO.

Wait - so you're now admitting Trump spoke with Russia? How do you know that's what they were talking about? And why would we want to align ourselves with someone who -4 years ago- you all were screaming that we should go to war with because he invaded the Ukraine? You get that flip-flop, right?

No, they haven't. In fact, when adjusted for inflation and according to the chart, in 2014, average real wages were below what they were in 1980. Why is that? Because of tax cuts.

So what are you whining about? Besides admitting your original claim was wrong?

My claim isn't wrong. You just don't understand math. You say average real wages have increased since 1980. And you would be correct if you weren't adjusting the wages for inflation. Doing so means that the average real wage has declined since 1980 because the rate of wage increases was outpaced by inflation. How does that happen? Simple; by giving more wealth to the top and not having it trickle-down as promised. It's been 37 years, when is the trickle-down supposed to start?

upload_2017-4-12_14-41-59.png

No, they haven't. In fact, when adjusted for inflation and according to the chart, in 2014, average real wages were
below what they were in 1980.

Your own chart, orange line, shows you're wrong.

You say average real wages have increased since 1980.

Your chart says they've increased, after dropping from 1972-1980.

And you would be correct if you weren't adjusting the wages for inflation.

Real wages, as shown in your chart ARE adjusted for inflation. That's what REAL means. Moron.

It's been 37 years, when is the trickle-down supposed to start

Average real wages dropping before Reagan's tax cuts, rising after Reagan's tax cuts.
Looks like things improved immediately.

Ah yes, it is blame Bush for what the libtards did.

I don't understand why you feel the need to defend Bush, unless you feel some sort of complicity in what he did because you and he have ideological similarities...or because you voted for him twice. I don't know and I don't care. The point is that Conservatives have never been held to account for the policy failures...from their deficit-inducing, surplus-erasing, debt-doubling tax cuts; to their unjustified, BS, nonsense war on Terror; to their deregulation-happy, butt-covering, covert economic stimulus housing bubble; to their lies about President Obama's place of birth, his religion (like it matters anyway), or his intentions. How many times did Conservatives warn that the sky would fall if Obama did (insert anything here)? All the time. How often were they right? Never. You all said we'd have hyperinflation if the stimulus passed...that didn't happen. You all said there would be an economic collapse if the Bush Tax Cuts on the wealthy were to expire...that didn't happen. You all said that Obamacare was going to kill jobs...when in fact, the current consecutive monthly record job growth started the same month Obamacare was signed into law.

So after all that, why should we believe a single thing Conservatives tell us today? I don't think that's an unfair question.

I am not saying that George was an angel, as he was a progressive Republican like his father, but he did far less damage than Al(Jazeera) Gore, or John F'ing Kerry(who won 3 purple hearts) would of done to the US.

LOL! Well, if you believe that then you weren't paying attention during Bush the Dumber. It couldn't have gotten worse with Gore or Kerry. Bush and Cheney let 9/11 happen, they inflated a mortgage bubble, erased a surplus, produced 4 -FOUR- record deficits in 8 years, and produced the worst economic growth in 80 years. In fact, after 8 years Bush lost more private sector jobs than he created. -460,000 net private sector jobs created between January 2001-January 2009.

And Bush was just as Conservative as any of the people calling themselves Conservatives today. In fact, those who claim to be "Conservatives" were Bush Republicans. Like Elaine Chao (Trump's Transportation Secretary who was Bush's Transportation Secretary) and Ted Cruz (worked on Bush's 2000 election campaign, was on Baker's Bush v. Gore Legal Team, was deputy associate attorney General in Bush's DOJ, and was Director of policy at Bush's FTC during the whole Enron debacle). So WTF are you talking about when you say he was a progressive Republican? Pretty clear you're trying to distance yourself from him because you recognize what a failure he was. Well let me clue you into something; he wasn't a failure because he was George W. Bush. He was a failure because the things he believed in were failures. Like Conservative economic and governing philosophy.

But it's not supposed to be a welfare program. Don't you know any history?

Don't you? Who cares what it was originally intended to be 80 years ago? It doesn't matter today. The reason it became a "welfare program" (an entitlement, actually, but whatever) was because Conservatives supported businesses doing away with labor unions and the pensions those unions fought to get. So because pensions aren't a thing anymore, largely, and because of the market collapses that wiped out people's 401k's at various times, SS has become the defacto source of income for retirees. Again, this is exactly what Conservatives wanted. Now you are crying crocodile tears over it? Gimmie a break...gimmie a break. Break me off a piece of that cra-zi-ness!

And you know how much you'd have if you had a private account with an S&P 500 ETF instead?

Less. 401k's have underperformed pensions since first coming on the scene in the late 80's. Furthermore, only about a third of American workers make enough to invest in a 401k, anyway. So they're great if you make more than $100K. But that's only about 10% of all earners. And what happens if, say, you hit retirement right when there's a financial collapse like we had in 2007-8, 2000-1, 1991-3, etc.? Then you're screwed. The probolem with your argument is that you are only looking at it in the vacuum of your personal circumstances. But I've learned from these boards never to accept anything anyone says about themselves because they're almost certainly lying their butts off in order to score a cheap point in a debate. Substituting personal circumstances for facts is not allowed in real debate, so why should I accept it here? If you cannot make your argument on the facts alone, and have to invoke "personal history", then it's not an argument worth making.

Thinking your (fabricated or not) circumstances are somehow applicable to the entire subject means only one thing; you lack empathy. Which would make you a sociopath.

Last edited:
Okay bonehead, let me give you how my life went, ready.

I don't care about you or whatever tall tales you're spinning about your life here. I don't believe you, and I don't take your word for it. If you have to substitute personal anecdotes, that are unverifiable, for hard facts then you've already lost. You wouldn't believe me if I told you I was Tom Brady, so why should I believe you when you tell me these things about yourself? I have no way of verifying if they're true. So why use that? Desperation.

But it's not supposed to be a welfare program. Don't you know any history?

Don't you? Who cares what it was originally intended to be 80 years ago? It doesn't matter today. The reason it became a "welfare program" (an entitlement, actually, but whatever) was because Conservatives supported businesses doing away with labor unions and the pensions those unions fought to get. So because pensions aren't a thing anymore, largely, and because of the market collapses that wiped out people's 401k's at various times, SS has become the defacto source of income for retirees. Again, this is exactly what Conservatives wanted. Now you are crying crocodile tears over it? Gimmie a break...gimmie a break. Break me off a piece of that cra-zi-ness!

And you know how much you'd have if you had a private account with an S&P 500 ETF instead?

Less. 401k's have underperformed pensions since first coming on the scene in the late 80's. Furthermore, only about a third of American workers make enough to invest in a 401k, anyway. So they're great if you make more than $100K. But that's only about 10% of all earners. And what happens if, say, you hit retirement right when there's a financial collapse like we had in 2007-8, 2000-1, 1991-3, etc.? Then you're screwed. The probolem with your argument is that you are only looking at it in the vacuum of your personal circumstances. But I've learned from these boards never to accept anything anyone says about themselves because they're almost certainly lying their butts off in order to score a cheap point in a debate. Substituting personal circumstances for facts is not allowed in real debate, so why should I accept it here? If you cannot make your argument on the facts alone, and have to invoke "personal history", then it's not an argument worth making.

401k's have underperformed pensions since first coming on the scene in the late 80's.

Hilarious. Wrong. How are all the pensions at bankrupt companies doing?

Furthermore, only about a third of American workers make enough to invest in a 401k, anyway.

When the government siphons off 12.4% of your lifetime earnings, that makes it harder to fund a 401K.

And what happens if, say, you hit retirement right when there's a financial collapse like we had in 2007-8, 2000-1, 1991-3, etc.?

If you had 30 or 40 years of investing, you wouldn't notice.

No, it doesn't. Again, you aren't looking at the red line of median weekly earnings of full-time workers.

Your chart says they've increased, after dropping from 1972-1980. Real wages, as shown in your chart ARE adjusted for inflation. That's what REAL means. Moron.

Wow...wow, dude. So, surely you know the difference between average wages and median weekly earnings of full time workers, right? So, the average wage means all wages averaged together (which would include things like CEO pay and compensation, which is not weekly earnings). CEO pay, for example has gone from something like 80-1 to 450-1. So that's going to skew the average wage upward. However, when you look at weekly earnings for Full Time workers, that factors out all those deferred compensation and stock dividend pay that is counted toward the average wage, you see, very plainly, that the median weekly wage declined from 1980-2014.

Average real wages dropping before Reagan's tax cuts, rising after Reagan's tax cuts.

Right, because CEO pay skyrocketed starting under Reagan. And the average wage includes those executives whereas the median weekly wage does not.

Also, just because the ideology you adhere to is dickish doesn't mean you have to be a dick too.

Tax Cuts do a lot of things; increase deficits, explode debts, hurt wage growth...but in concert with unlimited campaign contributions, they actually steal our democracy. The average politician spends about 80% of their time raising money. And from whom are they generally raising the most money? From wealthy donors. And what benefits wealthy donors? Tax cuts. Here are some handy charts showing the extent of the theft of wealth and democracy by the 1% and their Conservative and Neo-Liberal enablers. Since the Reagan tax cuts, working people’s share of the benefits from increased productivity took a sudden turn down:

4700012209_18276d0c46.jpg

This resulted in intense concentration of wealth at the top:

4700060215_0477b289de.jpg

And forced working people to spend down savings to get by:

4700643546_80a3d84fef.jpg

Which forced working people to go into debt: (total household debt as percentage of GDP)

4700668450_970ffe0d65.jpg

None of which has helped economic growth much: (12-quarter rolling average nominal GDP growth.):

4700714208_cc79961841.jpg

So the conclusion? Trump and the Conservatives' "tax reform" is just more of the same we've heard from them since 1980, and is just a thinly veiled attempt to redistribute wealth from the middle and bottom to the top.
In this respect DJ Trump is like GW Bush who was like RW Reagan.

Tax cuts for the rich.

I doubt the Ryan/Trump tax plan will pass Congress however.

The far right will disagree because it increases the deficit.

And the entire left (both middle and far left) won't agree with more tax cuts for the rich.

So the tax plan will be DOA like Trumpcare was too.

Tax Cuts do a lot of things; increase deficits, explode debts, hurt wage growth...but in concert with unlimited campaign contributions, they actually steal our democracy. The average politician spends about 80% of their time raising money. And from whom are they generally raising the most money? From wealthy donors. And what benefits wealthy donors? Tax cuts. Here are some handy charts showing the extent of the theft of wealth and democracy by the 1% and their Conservative and Neo-Liberal enablers. Since the Reagan tax cuts, working people’s share of the benefits from increased productivity took a sudden turn down:

Which forced working people to go into debt: (total household debt as percentage of GDP)

None of which has helped economic growth much: (12-quarter rolling average nominal GDP growth.):

So the conclusion? Trump and the Conservatives' "tax reform" is just more of the same we've heard from them since 1980, and is just a thinly veiled attempt to redistribute wealth from the middle and bottom to the top.

Tax Cuts do a lot of things; increase deficits, explode debts, hurt wage growth

How do tax cuts hurt wage growth?
Tax cuts help wage growth when they make more money available to hire more people.

Tax cuts don't do anything however when the rich just put their tax rebates back into their bank accounts.

It's complicated.

Back in 1776 the tax rate on the US citizen was around 3% and the people rose up and went to war with the punishing government.

Ummm...no, they revolted because of a tax on tea, not income. 1776 is also 240+ years ago, and the problems of the 18th century are not the same problems we face in the 21st century. You wouldn't treat cancer with leeches, would you? So why would you apply 18th-century thinking to 21st-century problems? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Every time the liberals start campaigning they HOWL how Social Security is going bankrupt and the evil R's want to take it away, yet you never hear from the Libtards, that WELFARE is going bankrupt, because working people pay into the SS system, expecting something back when they retire, those that sit on their liberal sorry asses, expect something but never contribute into it.

First, liberals do not howl that SS is going bankrupt, Conservatives do. And it's not "going bankrupt". SS can still pay full benefits out until 2030, which is 13 years away. Hardly an immediate problem. Secondly, if you are going to make the argument that SS is going bankrupt and needs to be fixed, the simple solution is to just remove the cap on taxable SS income, that way everyone pays the same % of their income into SS. Right now, the cap is around $120K/yr. That covers up to about 90% of all workers. Once you surpass $120K in income, none of it is taxed for SS. That doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? By just removing the cap on taxable SS income, you extend SS's solvency by decades. As far as welfare goes, the biggest welfare queens are red state legislatures who take the welfare block grant (reformed by Conservatives in the 90's) and apply as much as they can of that block grant to the deficits caused by their taxation policies. All red states do that, but some are worse than others. Kansas, for example, cut taxes, saw its deficits and debt spike, saw its credit downgraded at least twice, cut education spending, raided the Highway Fund, and raided as much of the Welfare block grant that was legally allowed, and still couldn't balance its budget. It's not welfare that's bankrupt, it's red states who use the welfare to paper over the deficits caused by their tax policies who are the ones "bankrupt" here. The Conservative proposal that didn't even get a vote in the House would have changed Medicaid to a block grant as well, which means red staters would use that block grant not for health care, but to paper over the holes in their budgets created by their poor taxation and economic policies.
The first American income tax was the Whiskey Tax which was not really an income tax it was an excise tax.

This was during Geo. Washington's presidency.

There was a rebellion.

The colonists did not want to pay taxes.

They had rebelled from their King about the tea tax and now they were rebelling against Geo. Washington about the Whiskey Tax.

Correct.

Back in 1776 the tax rate on the US citizen was around 3% and the people rose up and went to war with the punishing government.

Ummm...no, they revolted because of a tax on tea, not income. 1776 is also 240+ years ago, and the problems of the 18th century are not the same problems we face in the 21st century. You wouldn't treat cancer with leeches, would you? So why would you apply 18th-century thinking to 21st-century problems? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Every time the liberals start campaigning they HOWL how Social Security is going bankrupt and the evil R's want to take it away, yet you never hear from the Libtards, that WELFARE is going bankrupt, because working people pay into the SS system, expecting something back when they retire, those that sit on their liberal sorry asses, expect something but never contribute into it.

First, liberals do not howl that SS is going bankrupt, Conservatives do. And it's not "going bankrupt". SS can still pay full benefits out until 2030, which is 13 years away. Hardly an immediate problem. Secondly, if you are going to make the argument that SS is going bankrupt and needs to be fixed, the simple solution is to just remove the cap on taxable SS income, that way everyone pays the same % of their income into SS. Right now, the cap is around $120K/yr. That covers up to about 90% of all workers. Once you surpass $120K in income, none of it is taxed for SS. That doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? By just removing the cap on taxable SS income, you extend SS's solvency by decades. As far as welfare goes, the biggest welfare queens are red state legislatures who take the welfare block grant (reformed by Conservatives in the 90's) and apply as much as they can of that block grant to the deficits caused by their taxation policies. All red states do that, but some are worse than others. Kansas, for example, cut taxes, saw its deficits and debt spike, saw its credit downgraded at least twice, cut education spending, raided the Highway Fund, and raided as much of the Welfare block grant that was legally allowed, and still couldn't balance its budget. It's not welfare that's bankrupt, it's red states who use the welfare to paper over the deficits caused by their tax policies who are the ones "bankrupt" here. The Conservative proposal that didn't even get a vote in the House would have changed Medicaid to a block grant as well, which means red staters would use that block grant not for health care, but to paper over the holes in their budgets created by their poor taxation and economic policies.

if you are going to make the argument that SS is going bankrupt and needs to be fixed, the simple solution is to just remove the cap on taxable SS income, that way everyone pays the same % of their income into SS.

If you double, for instance, the tax a rich guy pays into SS, you have to double, basically, the benefit he receives. That would seem to make the problem worse, not better.
There are lots of ways to gather-in more tax revenues.

The SS system has collected lots of money.

The Feds just spent it already.

That's a different story.

Tax Cuts don't steal democracy.

The Wilsonian-Expert-Administrative State to which Congress has delegated writing actual laws does steal democracy.

Hilarious. Wrong. How are all the pensions at bankrupt companies doing?

???? What pensions at which companies? And yes, 401k's underperform defined benefits (pensions) according to a Boston College study via The Motley Fool.

When the government siphons off 12.4% of your lifetime earnings, that makes it harder to fund a 401K.

??? 12.4%? Whaaaa? Where are you getting that number? Don't understand what you're saying. And if the government is siphoning off your earnings it's only because your boss or the company you work for isn't paying their fair share. The average effective tax rate for businesses is 12.4%. The average effective tax rate for individuals is around 17.4%. So why are corporations paying a different tax rate if they're people?

If you had 30 or 40 years of investing, you wouldn't notice.

Well, since 401k's only really came into fashion less than 30 years ago, your assessment there is pretty much devoid of historical context. It's really funny...you say "oh, you'll do fine if you've been investing 30-40 years" knowing that this type of "investing" only started about 30 years ago. So, again, if you work for 50 years, but could only invest for 30 of those years, and you hit retirement age in 2008 (which is what happened to millions of people), you get screwed and have to work at Walmart to make ends meet. So while I appreciate you trying to abdicate responsibility for a policy you support, it ends up coming off as callous and petty.

No, it doesn't. Again, you aren't looking at the red line of median weekly earnings of full-time workers.

Your chart says they've increased, after dropping from 1972-1980. Real wages, as shown in your chart ARE adjusted for inflation. That's what REAL means. Moron.

Wow...wow, dude. So, surely you know the difference between average wages and median weekly earnings of full time workers, right? So, the average wage means all wages averaged together (which would include things like CEO pay and compensation, which is not weekly earnings). CEO pay, for example has gone from something like 80-1 to 450-1. So that's going to skew the average wage upward. However, when you look at weekly earnings for Full Time workers, that factors out all those deferred compensation and stock dividend pay that is counted toward the average wage, you see, very plainly, that the median weekly wage declined from 1980-2014.

Right, because CEO pay skyrocketed starting under Reagan. And the average wage includes those executives whereas the median weekly wage does not.

Also, just because the ideology you adhere to is dickish doesn't mean you have to be a dick too.

No, it doesn't.

Yes, it does.
I said average real earnings were up. Your chart says average real earnings were up.

Again, you aren't looking at the red line of median weekly earnings of full-time workers.

As I said, I could explain the difference between average and median, but you're a liberal, it would be wasted on you.

CEO pay, for example has gone from something like 80-1 to 450-1.

Hilarious. And wrong. But for fun, prove it.

BTW, there are over 400,000 CEOs in America

Tax Cuts don't steal democracy.

Interesting you say that because that's exactly what happened. That's why we had a multi-millionaire and a billionaire running to be President. What do you think rich people do with all the money they get from their tax cuts? What they don't spend on foreign-made luxury goods, or put in overseas bank accounts in socialist countries like Switzerland, they give to politicians who then act in their interests. Since most politicians spend about 80% of their time raising money, from whom do you think they do most of that raising? Could it be the same people who benefit from the tax cuts those legislators pass? Come on...we're not dumb. We know what's happening. It just takes balls to admit it. So do you have balls? Lady- or otherwise?

The Wilsonian-Expert-Administrative State to which Congress has delegated writing actual laws does steal democracy.

Hey man, Glenn Beck admitted he was wrong to Samantha Bee. They made a whole thing about it. They even had cake. So you can drop this faux-intellectual act. It's not fooling anyone anymore.

Forum List

Back