Taking the Oligarchs Stuff Thread

I am curious. Does anyone know the law under which a government, particularly the U.S. government, can seize the property of anyone not convicted or even charged with a crime?

Take it all.

They enabled the illegal invasion and slaughter of innocents.

Wow, talk about irony. It was Ukranian oligarchs that got Ukraine in this position. While now they pretend to stand with Ukraine, they had no problem picking the flesh off the bones of Ukranians for decades and leaning into Russia as they did. And the Russian oligarchy is pretty much united against this "invasion". And for good reason. Ukraine is a shit show, has been for decades. Not seeing a risk reward ratio playing out here for Putin. Say he gets those two provinces, what does he have? Well, there is coal production, but I sure don't see Virginia invading West Virginia to take territory. Putin is doing about the same here. Those two provinces will end up being a strain on limited Russian resources and will come at a cost through international sanctions that will far exceed any gain Putin might be able to squeeze out of those two shitholes.

I am curious. Does anyone know the law under which a government, particularly the U.S. government, can seize the property of anyone not convicted or even charged with a crime?
Typically, it is done through a court order. Like in United States v. All Petroleum-Product Cargo Aboard the Bella, et al., 1:20-cv-1791-JEB,

I am equally curious.

edit: Civil forfeiture laws do allow this as they charge the asset with a 'crime' and since assets do not have rights it allows the government to essentially take whatever they want whenever they want. It is a rather disgusting practice that cannot really be called 'law.' They just do not apply to this situation.

Last edited:
Typically, it is done through a court order. Like in United States v. All Petroleum-Product Cargo Aboard the Bella, et al., 1:20-cv-1791-JEB,
However, that law does not apply. Civil forfeiture requires that the property be involved in or the result of illegal actions against the US or it can be international if the international offence was planned in the US.

None of that applies to Russian officials.

Of note though, it would be fairly easy to amend the law to include volitions of international laws or include war. Civil asset forfeiture of that nature is a piss poor legal framework though and should be ended in its current form.

However, that law does not apply. Civil forfeiture requires that the property be involved in or the result of illegal actions against the US or it can be international if the international offence was planned in the US.

None of that applies to Russian officials.

Of note though, it would be fairly easy to amend the law to include volitions of international laws or include war. Civil asset forfeiture of that nature is a piss poor legal framework though and should be ended in its current form.
Pretty sure any property seized is just impounded.

Pretty sure any property seized is just impounded.
Then you would generally be incorrect with civil asset forfeiture.

Then you would generally be incorrect with civil asset forfeiture.

That stuff is rightfully the stolen property of the Russian people. We can't just take it without due process but we can hold it for them.

That stuff is rightfully the stolen property of the Russian people. We can't just take it without due process but we can hold it for them.
What does that have to do with anything I have said whatsoever?

The law I cited I mentioned specifically does not cover Russian oligarchs. It does, however, allow the government to steal from YOU, essentially without due process, and it is not holding it for you. They generally spend it if it is cash or sell it when it is hard assets and then spend the proceeds.

However, we certainly can pass a law that identifies foreign government actors and seizes property of those that commit war crimes or are involved in invasions of other nations. There is little stopping that practice.

What does that have to do with anything I have said whatsoever?

The law I cited I mentioned specifically does not cover Russian oligarchs. It does, however, allow the government to steal from YOU, essentially without due process, and it is not holding it for you. They generally spend it if it is cash or sell it when it is hard assets and then spend the proceeds.

However, we certainly can pass a law that identifies foreign government actors and seizes property of those that commit war crimes or are involved in invasions of other nations. There is little stopping that practice.
Civil asset forfeiture is one of the crappier legacies of the drug war but if it doesn't apply to Russian oligarchs why bring it up?

Forum List

Back