Sweet Home Alabama

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
Wiki doesn't volunteer the information so you have to look for it . Ronnie Van Zant wrote Sweet Home for Lynard Skynard as a response to Canadian born Neil Young 's insulting song about the people who live in the Southern US. Ironically Young's (who was the darling of the liberal left wing music industry) song is forgotten while Sweet Home is a classic southern rock hit. Ronnie Van Zant and most of the original Lynard Skynard group were killed in a plane crash. Along comes quirky Warren Zevon. I like Zevon's approach to music. It's kind of like his friend and world class drug abuser Hunter Thompson's approach to literature. Both Zevon and Thompson and the rest of the post 60's music/media culture were radical left wingers. Zevon's (who was born in Chicago) amazing hate filled hit called "Play that dead man's song" was a parody of Sweet Home Alabama and profoundly insulting to Southern culture.

I saw the new Skynyrd a couple years back. I think the old singer's brother is their new singer and I believe at least one or two of the current members are from the original group.

I lost my voice about 45 seconds into Freebird. It was the best concert moment I ever had in my life.

The whole issue is a microcosm of the radical left's control over the media and geniuses who overcome the bias. I love the song but the modern Skynyrd incarnation leaves me cold.

The whole issue is a microcosm of the radical left's control over the media and geniuses who overcome the bias. I love the song but the modern Skynyrd incarnation leaves me cold.

They played their set and then showed a long tribute to the old Skynyrd over the monitor. During the tribute they started up with the slide guitar for Freebird and I went nuts.

I didn't have the luxury of hearing the original band but I thought the new incarnation did them justice.

All in all "Sweet Home" endured despite the hate generated at the South by pop-culture icon Canadian born Neil Young and the quirky knee jerk hate actually directed at the specific song by Warren Zevon. It goes to show that talent trumps hatred. God bless Ronny Van Zant.

God bless Warren Zevon...

may he rest in peace... but only if he wants to... :)

I 'spect WZ might be a problem child in heaven...

'n be a royal pain in the ass for God... for all eternity... :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP5Xv7QqXiM]Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns and Money - YouTube[/ame]

Wiki doesn't volunteer the information so you have to look for it . Ronnie Van Zant wrote Sweet Home for Lynard Skynard as a response to Canadian born Neil Young 's insulting song about the people who live in the Southern US. Ironically Young's (who was the darling of the liberal left wing music industry) song is forgotten while Sweet Home is a classic southern rock hit. Ronnie Van Zant and most of the original Lynard Skynard group were killed in a plane crash. Along comes quirky Warren Zevon. I like Zevon's approach to music. It's kind of like his friend and world class drug abuser Hunter Thompson's approach to literature. Both Zevon and Thompson and the rest of the post 60's music/media culture were radical left wingers. Zevon's (who was born in Chicago) amazing hate filled hit called "Play that dead man's song" was a parody of Sweet Home Alabama and profoundly insulting to Southern culture.

I've been a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan for "forever". Three members of the band were killed in the plane crash. Ronnie Van Zant was the "main" member who was killed. The other two were guitarist Steve Gaines and backup singer Cassie Gaines.

Johnny Van Zant, the younger brother of Ronnie, has been the lead singer of the "new" Lynyrd Skynyrd for probably about 25 years or so. The ONLY other original member still with the band is guitarist Gary Rossington. Most of the other members have died over the years, or are long gone. Original pianist Billy Powell was the most recent "current" band member to die. He passed away about 6-7 years ago.

Former Blackfoot frontman/guitarist Rickey Medlocke has been the lead guitarist for many, many years.

The wife and I have seen Lynyrd Skynyrd NUMEROUS times over the years. They ALWAYS put on a great show, and they sound great. Johnny always points and looks to the sky when he sings Free Bird, in honor of his brother.

If you get a chance to see them, don't pass it up.

As for Neil Young, I could never stomach that guy. He truly SUCKS. His squeeky weird voice, his unkempt appearance, his politics. Glad he lives in Canada.

As for the talentless Zevon, he is pushing up daisies. He is exactly where he should be.

Zevon was a piece of work. Most of his stuff was praised by self described "critics" simply because it was different. Rolling Stone critics make a living from writing about music in hip ways that their stoned audience likes but they really ain't got a clue. Set the record straight, Zevon was a suicidal alcoholic and Van Zant was a musician.

Forum List

Back