"Swatting" prank turns deadly..............

Seems there is a new prank that all the kids are getting in on nowadays, it's called "swatting" where someone makes a prank call to 911, tells them about a murder or a kidnapping at a location, and they try to get SWAT sent to the address. It's happened before to Hollyweird types, but now it seems to be moving to the main population.

Only problem is, sometimes like in this case, it can turn deadly. Seems that 2 gamers were fighting over the game Call of Duty, and one got pissed and called SWAT to the other gamers house.

SWAT showed up, and the gamer ended up dead.

Now, in some cases, you would hear me squeaking about the cops shooting an innocent man, but not in this case. Why? Because the dude that SWAT was called to didn't know they were there, and might have made a stupid move. But, you also have to remember that the police were first called because they were told it's a murder. Apparently, this happens about 400 times a year nationwide.

So, when the police start knocking on your door and you don't know why, you might be the victim of a swatting prank.

Police: Hoax call by online gamer led to Wichita police shooting unarmed man
Cops should be prosecuted for murder in such cases.

Every cop knows that oftentimes 911 calls are bogus.

Tyler Raj Barriss

Here he is doing an interview about it. Just get past the guy doing the interview.

Article on his arrest

Man arrested after ‘swatting’ call leads to fatal police shooting in Kansas
They have it. We want it. Let's get it.

Fuckin Keemstar... LOL! The caller is no doubt a total fucking scumbag, but... The guy that pulled the trigger caused this victims death. No one else. And the mothers account of the initial contact with police is troubling to say the least. Hopefully more information will be made public, so we can better understand exactly what went wrong here. And make no mistake about it; something did indeed go wrong. Terribly wrong.

Seems there is a new prank that all the kids are getting in on nowadays, it's called "swatting" where someone makes a prank call to 911, tells them about a murder or a kidnapping at a location, and they try to get SWAT sent to the address. It's happened before to Hollyweird types, but now it seems to be moving to the main population.

Only problem is, sometimes like in this case, it can turn deadly. Seems that 2 gamers were fighting over the game Call of Duty, and one got pissed and called SWAT to the other gamers house.

Now, in some cases, you would hear me squeaking about the cops shooting an innocent man, but not in this case. Why? Because the dude that SWAT was called to didn't know they were there, and might have made a stupid move. But, you also have to remember that the police were first called because they were told it's a murder. Apparently, this happens about 400 times a year nationwide.

So, when the police start knocking on your door and you don't know why, you might be the victim of a swatting prank.

That’s the problem: the police won’t be knocking at your door – instead your home will be surrounded by police cars and flashing blue/red lights, semi-automatic weapons pointed at your door.

Not necessarily. You assume a great deal.

Yes I assume, and considering he shot a 100% innocent guy maybe it won't hold up, but people stick together.

Yet how many times have we seen just the opposite happen?

Also, the officer who shot Mike Brown in Ferguson MO was completely vindicated, but can probably never work again.

As many times as we haven't seen things because they have been hushed up probably.

Considering I don't even remember his name, I'm sure he can find work somewhere. Those LAPD cops did eventually.

Such as?

I seem to recall a recent spike in officers going to jail.

We have seen an increase, but do you honestly believe some incidents have never been effectively covered up?

I am sure there have, but we should not assume that there will be a coverup.

Anyone breaking into my man cave under any color of authority will end up eating a lot of 5.56x45 lead.

Anyone breaking into my man cave under any color of authority will end up eating a lot of 5.56x45 lead.
Not to be overly critical of the victim but... A lot of mistakes were made on his part. A lot. Starting with not knowing what was on the other side of tbe door, before he opened it.

Fair enough.

The article states that some body cam footage has been released. I'm having some trouble locating it at the moment.
But regardless of whether the prank caller was arrested, or not. The person who shot Finch is responsible for his death. Now that may end up being ruled justifiable, but let's not conflated the prank call, with pulling a gun, and killing someone. In order to have a trusted law enforcement organization; that organization has to be trusted by the community it serves. And the only way that kind of trust can be maintained is by treating each shooting with the same scrutiny. Law enforcement or not. If it wouldn't fly for average Joe public... Then neither should it for the police officer.

The article states that some body cam footage has been released. I'm having some trouble locating it at the moment.
But regardless of whether the prank caller was arrested, or not. The person who shot Finch is responsible for his death. Now that may end up being ruled justifiable, but let's not conflated the prank call, with pulling a gun, and killing someone. In order to have a trusted law enforcement organization; that organization has to be trusted by the community it serves. And the only way that kind of trust can be maintained is by treating each shooting with the same scrutiny. Law enforcement or not. If it wouldn't fly for average Joe public... Then neither should it for the police officer.

im waiting on the body cam footage

and whatever else comes available

but in no way should the guy that called in the swat be let off

Not at all. He is definitely in part responsible. And a total fucking scumbag.

yes it will be interesting to know this guys history

My youngest son plays Call of Duty(sounds like a terlit being released) so I won't answer the door when the cops come.. I just let ten dogs lose to welcome them..

yes it will be interesting to know this guys history
Since the commission of his crime (prank call) crossed state lines; that gives the Feds a hand in, if they want it. And if it deemed that his actions (the call) warrant a felony charge; he is by default on the hook for this mans death legally, regardless of the outcome for the officer.

maybe it's been said, but the victim appears white
I thought the police only kill unarmed black men???

My youngest son plays Call of Duty(sounds like a terlit being released) so I won't answer the door when the cops come.. I just let ten dogs lose to welcome them..
I know it isn't feasible for everyone; but having a fenced gate to greet visitors will give you a buffer to identify people coming to your door. If nothing else there are cheap cameras one can put on their front door, so you can see who's there without ever approaching the door. And everyone regardless of their situation should implement a way to see who's at the door before ever opening it. These are the times we live in...

I know it isn't feasible for everyone; but having a fenced gate to greet visitors will give you a buffer to identify people coming to your door. If nothing else there are cheap cameras one can put on their front door, so you can see who's there without ever approaching the door. And everyone regardless of their situation should implement a way to see who's at the door before ever opening it. These are the times we live in...

i got a couple of dogs that say

identify yourself or else

--LOL

The 4th amendment needs to be more strictly enforced. Fuck Bush-era policies.

Did he stop 9/11? No? Fuck him.

How are you going to do that? The cops don't know that it's a prank call when they get it. And, because of the situation they are called out for, they have to be ready for anything.

The only way they would know it was a prank would be to actually go to the place and check it out, but they wouldn't know that until after they got there and checked out the people.

In what manner did they "check it out"? Did they have a warrant? What judge signed that warrant?
If there is a crime in progress they don’t and shouldn’t need a warrant to respond.

Forum List

Back