Surgery For Kidney Stones?? Help?

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
My wife got a call, the doctor wants to surgically remove her kidney stone; have found some resources online, but would appreicate any personal experiences you care to share.

:(

-=d=- said:
My wife got a call, the doctor wants to surgically remove her kidney stone; have found some resources online, but would appreicate any personal experiences you care to share.

Did he give an explanation? Is it too big? Lodged? Too ragged? Isn't the pulverizing kind?

-=d=- said:

glad i re-read your post before i actually posted what i was going to. it was about my dad, but his was gall stones, not kidney stones!

ps did yo uknow you can still get gall stones with no gallbladder?

-=d=- said:

Most of them can be lasered. Kidney stones really suck.

-=d=- said:

They're more common in men, I believe. Surgery is used when stones are too big to pass on their own or too big to break with the sonic ray. My dad has had surgery on both kidneys to remove stones. The scars are huge.

-=d=- said:

There is a non invasive ultrasound or shockwave procedure that destroys the stone without surgery for stones smaller than one inch. There are minimally invasive procedures for large stones. How big is it?

See also:
http://www.kidney-stone-symptoms.com/html/surgical-intervention.php3

KIDNEY STONE PREVENTION:

Drink a minimum of 1/3rd your body weight in ounces of pure water every day, in 4 to 6 ounce increments.

I.e. if you weigh 180 lbs, then drink a bare minimum of 60 oz a day of water. If you drink alcohol or caffeinated beverages, you need to increase your water intake substantially from this minimum.

Andy

CivilLiberty said:
There is a non invasive ultrasound or shockwave procedure that destroys the stone without surgery for stones smaller than one inch. There are minimally invasive procedures for large stones. How big is it?

See also:
http://www.kidney-stone-symptoms.com/html/surgical-intervention.php3

KIDNEY STONE PREVENTION:

Drink a minimum of 1/3rd your body weight in ounces of pure water every day, in 4 to 6 ounce increments.

I.e. if you weigh 180 lbs, then drink a bare minimum of 60 oz a day of water. If you drink alcohol or caffeinated beverages, you need to increase your water intake substantially from this minimum.

Andy

ive given up drinking pop and booze altogether. well booze anyway. once in a while ill have a pepsi. waters alot safer anymore than anything else it seems,m as long as its bottled

Calcium is the main cost of *most* kidney stones, so she may want to watch things like shellfish, and dairy products..

Water is absolutely mandatory, and cranberry juice helps a lot as well.

-=d=- said:
My wife thinks they told her the stone was 10.8MM - or, about .4 to .5 Inch.

Hmmm. That should be treatable with the non invasive methods.

Get another doctor. Doctors are, well, quite variable. Some like one procedure, others prefer another approach. It's really more an art than science in some ways.

I fire doctors all the time. Some of the just piss me off, and I got tired of putting up with their misdiagnosis and mistreatments.

Find another - they grow on trees.

Andy

CivilLiberty said:
Hmmm. That should be treatable with the non invasive methods.

Get another doctor. Doctors are, well, quite variable. Some like one procedure, others prefer another approach. It's really more an art than science in some ways.

I fire doctors all the time. Some of the just piss me off, and I got tired of putting up with their misdiagnosis and mistreatments.

Find another - they grow on trees.

Andy

holy crap, i actually agree here.
Darin, with as much as you/ your insurance company are going to be shelling out it would be best to get aleast a second opinion

Shattered said:
Calcium is the main cost of *most* kidney stones, so she may want to watch things like shellfish, and dairy products..

Water is absolutely mandatory, and cranberry juice helps a lot as well.

Do not reduce dietary calcium as a way to prevent calcification. Calcium is critical, especially for women. Calcifications can occur regardless of dietary calcium. It is used in all our muscle tissues in addition to our bones. It is a critical part of muscle function.

To prevent kidney stones, ensure that adequate liquids are consumed. Cranberry juice IS good, but as it is a diuretic, you need to drink additional water (as you do with caffeinated drinks).

Regards

Andy

-=d=- said:
My wife thinks they told her the stone was 10.8MM - or, about .4 to .5 Inch.

Lithotripsy is a valid treatment option in her case. Ultrasound pulverizes the stone, and she would essential pass "sand " through her urinary tract. I wish you both well.

CivilLiberty said:
Do not reduce dietary calcium as a way to prevent calcification. Calcium is critical, especially for women. Calcifications can occur regardless of dietary calcium. It is used in all our muscle tissues in addition to our bones. It is a critical part of muscle function.

To prevent kidney stones, ensure that adequate liquids are consumed. Cranberry juice IS good, but as it is a diuretic, you need to drink additional water (as you do with caffeinated drinks).

Regards

Andy

I did not state she should not consume them. I stated that she should watch them. Caffeine is a diuretic. Cranberry juice aids in breaking down acids, preventing the growth of new stones, and helps to cleanse the urinary tract.

Bullypulpit said:
Lithotripsy is a valid treatment option in her case. Ultrasound pulverizes the stone, and she would essential pass "sand " through her urinary tract. I wish you both well.

She isn't so sure she'd not rather have them just cut out; passing ANYTHING granular through one's urethra seems...painful! :(

THanks for your wishes.

My wife had two stones, 5 and 3 mm. She had em blasted about 2 1/2 years ago
and it seems to have been successful. Unless the size/ location prohibit it,
I would start with anything other than invasive surgery first. She can always get cut on later.
Just my opinion. Good Luck.

Shattered said:
I did not state she should not consume them. I stated that she should watch them. Caffeine is a diuretic. Cranberry juice aids in breaking down acids, preventing the growth of new stones, and helps to cleanse the urinary tract.

Cranberry juice is a diuretic as well.

A

and alcohol will act as one too but I'm not sure it will help a stone. (go ahead--leaving that open for you jokesters)

Kidney stone is hard disease which paining more and more. It need perfect treatment to reduce pain. That is necessary to reduce stone from kidney that because of lifetime relief from pain.

What surgery is he recommending? Have you tried to find an alternative like using ultrasounds to break them up?

Forum List

Back