Supreme justice suggests treating Twitter and Facebook as utilities so they can be regulated

Excellent.

In a concurring opinion Monday, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas said social-media companies have too much power over public speech, suggesting they be treated as utilities so they can be regulated by the government.

Clarence Thomas pushes new way to deal with social giants
FB's quest to be the top social media platform with the most users wasn't enough it would seem.

I don't use Facebook, but when it first came out I was a member (I first said I was a user but that didn't quite sound right). Even though I don't like it and don't use it, a company (regardless of size) still has a right to make statements, including political ones. Corporate heads who choose to play politics (like Coca-Cola's actions), should always expect a negative reaction by the political opposition.

When freedom of speech is fairly protected, all speech outside of illegal hate speech is protected. These corporate heads take a small risk every time getting into the political circus to lose business, and rightfully so as voters have the right to boycott.

The US government is large enough and soon to be much larger with current federal efforts to add more layers of oversight. Government needs to let consumers decide the fate of businesses, products, and policy...that would be government policy.

Agreed. We need to expand and grow government to cover technology companies. Kinda odd to hear Clarence Thomas espouse Liberalism...but whatever I guess
Liberalism isn't govt takeovers of the private sector. Thats called regressive illiberalism.
Uh actually government takeover of the private sector is like, textbook liberalism and bordering on communism. Thanks for playing, dingus. Have a good day
Government can break up monopolies. Government can control the content of what is broadcast to a degree. Since it opened up a lot over the last few decades, TV seems much darker in entertainment. Cynical, jaded and obnoxious in talk programs of all types. Used for pushing social justice while destroying people that do not toe the line for globalist agendas and condemning a good part of the population for their political views and the eroding of Christianity by force.

Does your TV have an off switch?

Christianity is eroding itself with the Scofield heresy and futurism.

Excellent.

In a concurring opinion Monday, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas said social-media companies have too much power over public speech, suggesting they be treated as utilities so they can be regulated by the government.

FB's quest to be the top social media platform with the most users wasn't enough it would seem.

I don't use Facebook, but when it first came out I was a member (I first said I was a user but that didn't quite sound right). Even though I don't like it and don't use it, a company (regardless of size) still has a right to make statements, including political ones. Corporate heads who choose to play politics (like Coca-Cola's actions), should always expect a negative reaction by the political opposition.

When freedom of speech is fairly protected, all speech outside of illegal hate speech is protected. These corporate heads take a small risk every time getting into the political circus to lose business, and rightfully so as voters have the right to boycott.

The US government is large enough and soon to be much larger with current federal efforts to add more layers of oversight. Government needs to let consumers decide the fate of businesses, products, and policy...that would be government policy.

The big Atlanta companies think voting is sacred and no US citizen should be excluded.. Obviously you think differently.

Thomas is wrong, of course.

This opinion illustrates why Thomas is not fit to serve on the Supreme Court, that he would buy into the lie that social media are ‘hostile’ toward conservatives.

Such is the authoritarian right.
You're wrong, 100 percent of the time because you lie.
Thomas is infamous for his contempt of the First Amendment.

Thomas is also the typical authoritarian conservative: compel conformity and punish dissent through force of law.

The notion of government subjecting private media to punitive measures because of how they edit their content is repugnant to our most fundamental tenets of freedom of expression and freedom of the press.

And Thomas is your typical rightwing hypocrite; so much for ‘small government’ conservatives – indeed, for conservatives it’s about more government, bigger government at the expense of individual liberty and freedom of self-expression.

Agreed. We need to expand and grow government to cover technology companies. Kinda odd to hear Clarence Thomas espouse Liberalism...but whatever I guess

Right and left in this country are "fluid". Essentially, both sides see government as a way to bully people they don't like. The rest is, usually, just rationalizing.

Excellent.

Nationalize them?
Please, don’t give the authoritarian right any ideas.
Agreed. Lest the authoritarian left gets jealous.

Why are the ones that you guys refer to as "tokens" always WAY the fuck smarter and more successful than than you?
He's smarter and successful than say, Lebron James, or Dave Chappelle?

Forum List

Back