Study: White Americans Believe They Experience More Racism Than African Americans

Do you believe whites suffer more racism than blacks in America

• Yes

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Pie

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
Sounds like most people have no clue what racism is. The suffix ism is latin for system. Somebody name me 1 time in US history where a system was set up based on the belief that another "race" was superior to the white "race".

Racism is generally defined as actions, practices or beliefs, or social or political systems that are based in views that see the human species to be divided into races with shared traits, abilities, or qualities, such as personality, intellect, morality, or other cultural behavioral characteristics, and especially the belief that races can be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to others, or that members of different races should be treated differently.

Doesn't happen. But have you seen the poll results?

You know, if you had asked me 20 years ago what racism was, I would have said it was when a person disliked another person simply because of their race. I would have defined institutional racism as a government or institution who systematically denies someone equality because of their race, such as when Wallace stood in the doorway to block access to a university.

Now, I am a racist because I don't like Barry's policies. I'm a racist because I support personal responsibility and do not believe it is inherent upon society to fund abortions at will, birth control for those who won't pay for it, or unending welfare or unemployment compensation. I am a racist because I believe that the war on poverty was an absolute and unqualified failure. I am a racist because I believe that radical Islamist Jihadis are responsible for a very large majority of terrorism in the world and our policies should reflect that. I am a racist because I believe that 72% of African-American babies being born out of wedlock borders on the criminal.

The left attempts to use the word 'racist' like a gun. The same thing that they are trying to do with homophobe, sexist, and a host of other words. In this attempt they have taken away the true meaning of the word and changed its meaning to: One that does not agree with the policies of the left.

When the left cries RACIST, I usually have to suppress a yawn.

So you lost a piece of knowledge? You once knew what racism was, and now you write essays on why that is no longer true?

Which, by the way STILL has nothing to do with the question this thread asks.

Sounds like most people have no clue what racism is. The suffix ism is latin for system. Somebody name me 1 time in US history where a system was set up based on the belief that another "race" was superior to the white "race".

Racism is generally defined as actions, practices or beliefs, or social or political systems that are based in views that see the human species to be divided into races with shared traits, abilities, or qualities, such as personality, intellect, morality, or other cultural behavioral characteristics, and especially the belief that races can be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to others, or that members of different races should be treated differently.

Yes I see the results. They don't surprise me at all. I think the perception comes from Black people speaking out against bigots instead of taking the high road as they did in the past.

Yes I see the results. They don't surprise me at all. I think the perception comes from Black people speaking out against bigots instead of taking the high road as they did in the past.

The internet probably plays a part as well. Not as many people just seething in silence - we all know who they are, what they think, how they feel; provided they have access to a keyboard.

I'm white and if one of the answer was "no frigging way" I would have chosen it. There is no frigging way we suffer more racism than blacks. I cannot even fathom such an idea.

Immie

The internet probably plays a part as well. Not as many people just seething in silence - we all know who they are, what they think, how they feel; provided they have access to a keyboard.

The more I think about it the more ludicrous it sounds to me. I would love to see what it is that the respondents pointed to as evidence in order to rationalize saying yes.

I'm white and if one of the answer was "no frigging way" I would have chosen it. There is no frigging way we suffer more racism than blacks. I cannot even fathom such an idea.

Immie

I did consider "Am laughing too hard to type" as an option.

I don't think you guys are being honest. If we were to look at all the racially motivated assaults in the year 2013, do you really think white people would be at the top of that list?

"Racist" is a Soviet era term created by Leon Trotsky to demonize Ukrainians(primarily) who opposed the Soviet Union. I think the sooner we drop such terms the better.

The Unpopular Truth: "Racist" -- A Word Invented by USSR's Leon Trotsky

I have a different explanation.

Online Etymology Dictionary

That link says nothing of who coined it. Merriam Webster suggests the term "racist" was coined in 1933, so either one of those links is wrong or both are.
Racism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

However, the term "racistov", which in English is "racists" was used by Trotsky as early as 1930 in his "History of the Russian Revolution".
Leon Trotsky: The History of the Russian Revolution (1.1 Peculiarities of Russia's Development)

Perhaps your link is referring to the translation of the work, "History of the Russian Revolution", which was translated into English in 1932 by Max Eastman. Thus, we see the emergence of the English word "racists".
Leon Trotsky: The History of the Russian Revolution (1930)

As I said before, I reject the use of communist/marxist terminology so I have no use for the word.

"Racist" is a Soviet era term created by Leon Trotsky to demonize Ukrainians(primarily) who opposed the Soviet Union. I think the sooner we drop such terms the better.

The Unpopular Truth: "Racist" -- A Word Invented by USSR's Leon Trotsky

That link says nothing of who coined it. Merriam Webster suggests the term "racist" was coined in 1933, so either one of those links is wrong or both are.

However, the term "racistov", which in English is "racists" was used by Trotsky as early as 1930 in his "History of the Russian Revolution".
Leon Trotsky: The History of the Russian Revolution (1.1 Peculiarities of Russia's Development)

Perhaps your link is referring to the translation of the work, "History of the Russian Revolution", which was translated into English in 1932 by Max Eastman. Thus, we see the emergence of the English word "racists".

Not a big deal. You can believe your link.

Your link does nothing to contradict it. It confirms it.

Actually my link says it comes from the French but you can believe yours.

"Racism" and "racist" are two different words. Imagine that. You ought to read your own links. Your own link says the english word "racist", a noun, emerged in 1932, when Trotsky's work was translated into English. The english word "racism" came about in 1936 from the French word "racisme" which came about in 1935. All of these terms originated from the word "racistov" coined by Trotsky in 1930.

You ought to learn the history of the word you use so much...

"Racism" and "racist" are two different words. Imagine that. You ought to read your own links. Your own link says the english word "racist", a noun, emerged in 1932, when Trotsky's work was translated into English. The english word "racism" came about in 1936 from the French word "racisme" which came about in 1935. All of these terms originated from the word "racistov" coined by Trotsky in 1930.

A racist practices racism. Was that too difficult a concept for you to grasp?

A racist practices racism. Was that too difficult a concept for you to grasp?

No, is it too hard for you to grasp that 1930 is before 1932, and that 1932 is before 1935 or 1936. You understand the concept of time is years right?

Also, do you even bother to read your own links?

Forum List

Back