Zone1 Stop Listening to Thomas Sowell

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
Thomas Sowell is not some great independent thinker delivering blacks some kind of truth we do not want to accept. He's a black man who panders to white racists to earn a living.

A Critique of Thomas Sowell​

1681276809596.png

Given the gargantuan volume of Sowell’s popular writing, I’m going to need to focus on the central cluster of claims Sowell is known for. This is essentially aggregated from a variety of Sowell’s work since much of it is repetitive — the primary books I’m addressing are Discrimination and Disparities and Black Rednecks, White Liberals, combined with the vast expanse of Sowell video interviews and clips available on the Internet. I’ve broken down what I see to be this central cluster into its constitutive claims in order to deal with them in sequence:
  1. Disparities do not prove discrimination, particularly pertaining to Black-White economic inequality in the US.
  2. Black Americans, especially the worst-off living in urban centres, have a “redneck” culture that was handed to them by White southerners via Britain. It is this culture that produces bad behavioural patterns, such as crime and single parenthood.
  3. These behavioural patterns are exacerbated by the interventions of the welfare state.
  4. It is these behavioural patterns from the combination of culture and welfare that lead to Black-White economic inequality.
  5. Black people are blameworthy for their inequality-producing behaviour.
Each of these claims, as well as the argument as a whole, are riddled with problems of argumentative logic and empirical evidence. In many cases even just one of them would tank the entire enterprise; the sum of all of them is utterly damning. Even in my semi premature academic studies, I am able to conceptualize what affects the black community better than this so-called ‘economist’.

Discrimination and Disparities​

Sowell is correct that intentional racial discrimination (according to Sowell’s classification, Discrimination 1 and 2) at a given juncture — say, racial discrimination by an employer — cannot fully explain Black-White racial disparities in economic outcomes. It does not follow, however, that therefore the remaining racial disparity not explained by acute racial discrimination is not caused by racism in society. Sowell concludes that, for instance, employers and realtors and bankers will make choices about hiring or real estate or loans based on the relevant qualities the individual brings to the table, such as education, credit scores, criminal or eviction history, and so on (this is what he calls Discrimination). People have differences in the quantity and quality of these they can bring to the table, and thus it is perfectly reasonable to find inequalities in economic outcomes.
What is not answered by this, however, is why these inequalities would be unevenly distributed by race.

Why Do People Love Thomas Sowell?

Thomas Sowell, I think it is fair to say, is first and foremost a pundit. He has made his career less on scholarly arguments accountable to the rigorous critique of his peers and more on quotable quips, book-length tirades, and debate clap lines for the adulation of his libertarian fans and conservative think tank colleagues — especially claiming to be an ex-Marxist who ‘saw the light”. Even though his arguments are hollow when you knock on them, Sowell presents his arguments with confidence and frames the story as being one of an incompetent, mean-spirited economic left against a ‘sensible’, objective, evidence-based economic right. When that is a story you already believe, Sowell’s arguments appear compelling, and his demeanour is confident and charismatic. But ultimately, Sowell is better at rhetorical flourish than thoughtful empirical analysis or philosophical consistency.

Thomas Sowell is not some great independent thinker delivering blacks some kind of truth we do not want to accept. He's a black man who panders to white racists to earn a living.

View attachment 775709

Given the gargantuan volume of Sowell’s popular writing, I’m going to need to focus on the central cluster of claims Sowell is known for. This is essentially aggregated from a variety of Sowell’s work since much of it is repetitive — the primary books I’m addressing are Discrimination and Disparities and Black Rednecks, White Liberals, combined with the vast expanse of Sowell video interviews and clips available on the Internet. I’ve broken down what I see to be this central cluster into its constitutive claims in order to deal with them in sequence:
  1. Disparities do not prove discrimination, particularly pertaining to Black-White economic inequality in the US.
  2. Black Americans, especially the worst-off living in urban centres, have a “redneck” culture that was handed to them by White southerners via Britain. It is this culture that produces bad behavioural patterns, such as crime and single parenthood.
  3. These behavioural patterns are exacerbated by the interventions of the welfare state.
  4. It is these behavioural patterns from the combination of culture and welfare that lead to Black-White economic inequality.
Each of these claims, as well as the argument as a whole, are riddled with problems of argumentative logic and empirical evidence. In many cases even just one of them would tank the entire enterprise; the sum of all of them is utterly damning. Even in my semi premature academic studies, I am able to conceptualize what affects the black community better than this so-called ‘economist’.

Sowell is correct that intentional racial discrimination (according to Sowell’s classification, Discrimination 1 and 2) at a given juncture — say, racial discrimination by an employer — cannot fully explain Black-White racial disparities in economic outcomes. It does not follow, however, that therefore the remaining racial disparity not explained by acute racial discrimination is not caused by racism in society. Sowell concludes that, for instance, employers and realtors and bankers will make choices about hiring or real estate or loans based on the relevant qualities the individual brings to the table, such as education, credit scores, criminal or eviction history, and so on (this is what he calls Discrimination). People have differences in the quantity and quality of these they can bring to the table, and thus it is perfectly reasonable to find inequalities in economic outcomes.
What is not answered by this, however, is why these inequalities would be unevenly distributed by race.

Thomas Sowell, I think it is fair to say, is first and foremost a pundit. He has made his career less on scholarly arguments accountable to the rigorous critique of his peers and more on quotable quips, book-length tirades, and debate clap lines for the adulation of his libertarian fans and conservative think tank colleagues — especially claiming to be an ex-Marxist who ‘saw the light”. Even though his arguments are hollow when you knock on them, Sowell presents his arguments with confidence and frames the story as being one of an incompetent, mean-spirited economic left against a ‘sensible’, objective, evidence-based economic right. When that is a story you already believe, Sowell’s arguments appear compelling, and his demeanour is confident and charismatic. But ultimately, Sowell is better at rhetorical flourish than thoughtful empirical analysis or philosophical consistency.

I know. If only Sowell would return to the plantation.

View attachment 775709

I watched an old video series of a young Sowell operating under the tutelage of Milton Friedman. Even then, Sowell appeared to be a strong supporter of libertarian values. What is wrong with thst? It is how America was built and how so many powerful U.S businesses and inventions came to fruition. As for the racial debates and lessons, that is not my domain, I avoid it purposely as I always avoid hot button topic where emotions often guide the debate.

Good read, but far too many "not"s to deal with in here:

Sowell is correct that intentional racial discrimination (according to Sowell’s classification, Discrimination 1 and 2) at a given juncture — say, racial discrimination by an employer — cannot fully explain Black-White racial disparities in economic outcomes. It does not follow, however, that therefore the remaining racial disparity not explained by acute racial discrimination is not caused by racism in society.
He should have eliminated one or two of those double negatives. This is a solid critique of Sowell as well. Wonderful bio of George Jackson by Tristan Graham here.

I know. If only Sowell would return to the plantation.
No, no, IM2 is right. The entire Black race is helpless against the superior forces of racism, that is, except for whites in the democrat party cuz systemic racism exists everywhere except there. It is unknown why systemic racism exists everywhere EXCPET within the DNC, very mysterious.

Systemic racism is far too powerful a force for them to overcome these 200 years plus after slavery.

In fact, with democrats in power systemic racism is still too powerful a force for IM2 and his people to overcome.

They will forever be known as helpless victims.

In fact, IM2's only hope in life is to sell out to whitey like Thomas Sowell and begin to talk about Blacks being able to overcome white systemic racism instead of vegetating on being a victim, when we all know they are 100% incapable.

Only then will he be able to make a decent wage.

Last edited:

View attachment 775709

Thomas Sowell is one of the finest black men the US has ever produced. That motherfucker is a genius. He was Milton Friedman's under study for crying out loud!!!

View attachment 775709

Who is Tristan Graham? I tried to Google him and there was nothing there except for this "whinefest"!

With all due respect, Thomas Sowell is EXACTLY the kind of person that Tristan Graham can't stand...a poor person who became successful by bettering themselves with education and hard work! Tristan seems to believe that being poor is too hard to ever overcome and that society needs to step in and level the playing field by giving poor people more things. He blames Capitalism for people being poor...which is laughable.

As for Thomas Sowell? I had him as a professor at Amherst College. I found him to be brilliant. Get back to me when Graham has done a tenth of the scholarly work that Sowell has done...or endured a fraction of the scorn that Sowell had to endure from liberals for not toeing the "black victim" party line!

Sowell videos got you marxist cry babies all shooked up lol.

1480307.jpg

ANd to think, the only thing that saved Joe Biden from being a racist was becoming a democrat.

Does this mean racism disappears if we all become Left wing radical kooks?

View attachment 775709

Never take advise on race from a poster who has to alter Malcom X quotes to fit his agenda

1480307.jpg

ANd to think, the only thing that saved Joe Biden from being a racist was becoming a democrat.

Does this mean racism disappears if we all become Left wing radical kooks?
What is means is that we all become racist against whites, and based on skin color alone, prioritize blacks for admissions to prestigious colleges, jobs, and promotions.

But because we would all be leftists, we wouldn’t see race-based favoritism toward blacks as racist.

Sowell has a message for American Blacks, and many of them simply do not want to hear it. That message is, you can't blame your lack of success on racism. While racism persists in America, it is almost never an insurmountable problem. For every employer who turns you away because you are Black, there are a dozen who would welcome you with open arms.

And more importantly, racism, as an impediment to success, is a tiny hurdle compared to lifestyle choices and cultural rejection of the middle-class values upon which The Poor have relied for generations to get ahead. The relative success of Black immigrants when compared to Black natives is the biggest proof of Sowell's theses.

View attachment 775709

Sowell is a common sense advocate for black success

Meaning that unless blacks reform their lives and culture they will forever have to depend on government handouts

No wonder libs hate him

View attachment 775709

That Tom needs to get his ass back onto the plantation, right?

Forum List

Back