Stop all benefits for one year.

You have a retired Soldier, He get his retirement from the Military. Cost of living goes up 2.5% in a given year and his pay goes up 1.5%...

Just because he was in the military does not mean he should not work when he gets out. He should take his $7500 for the year, and go get a new job.

On top of that he is disabled

You must not have been paying attention. I said those who are disabled should be exempt from my idea.

OK so he's 62 and now drawing on his social security instead of working. Which he did for 24 years after retiring from the military, And you think you can buy him off for $7500

Or what about unemployment? Just go out and get a job? Really? have you tried getting any kind of decent job in the last 5 years? Why do you think they kept extending benefits?

You want to fix things, do something to create real jobs and build the economy and the GDP, this will generate more taxes and cut down on those needing welfare, and food stamps without screwing over the people who have earned their money.....

That's why rw's say the bums who can't live on minimum wage should just go out and get a second job.

Just because he was in the military does not mean he should not work when he gets out. He should take his $7500 for the year, and go get a new job.

You must not have been paying attention. I said those who are disabled should be exempt from my idea.

OK so he's 62 and now drawing on his social security instead of working. Which he did for 24 years after retiring from the military, And you think you can buy him off for $7500

Or what about unemployment? Just go out and get a job? Really? have you tried getting any kind of decent job in the last 5 years? Why do you think they kept extending benefits?

You want to fix things, do something to create real jobs and build the economy and the GDP, this will generate more taxes and cut down on those needing welfare, and food stamps without screwing over the people who have earned their money.....

That's why rw's say the bums who can't live on minimum wage should just go out and get a second job.

I've never said that..........

The federal government is spending roughly $1.5 trillion a year on Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid alone. That doesn't even include foodstamps and other welfare programs, pensions, etc. How much is this doing for our economy, as we sink deeper into debt? I propose we cease all spending on such things for one year. The only exception being for those are disabled. During that same time, payroll taxes be reduced by 50% for everyone.

With the money saved, every tax payer and person who receives benefits gets a check for $7500. Use it as you see fit. Use it for food, use it for health care, use it for rent, use it to start your own business. This approach will offer substantial aid for people in need, will be a lesser total expenditure, and will actually yield a lesser deficit. Meanwhile, individuals will be able to have more disposable income with which to stimulate the economy.

Why shouldn't we do this?

The money for SS is not federal government money. It is money that was paid by the workforce of America to fund their pensions. And SS is not driving the deficit. It may come as some surprise to you, but the federal government OWES money to SS.

Actually, SS are transfer payments as it is set up now. The payers have their money deducted so that the government can pay the payees. There is no pension. It's only a highly inefficient and low return redistribution of wealth scheme as it stands now.

In other words: it's a Ponzi scheme.

government wasn't supposed to tax it, take from it or give to people who didn't pay in.

Well, if we want to go back nearly 100 years all kinds of things were different back then. But it doesn't really matter. The reality for the past sixty years has been that Social Security has been a program entailing many various kinds of benefits, often times for people who never paid a dime into it, or who did not pay a considerable amount into it compared to a typical retiree.

Welfare is also a huge expense. We could start with illegal aliens. If we would have stopped welfare for them and not allowed people here illegally to have citizenship granted to their children born here, they wouldn't be here and we wouldn't be spending billions each year to take care of them. The cost of deportation is a fraction of what we spend on their education, living and health care.

If we are going to cut something, it should be welfare. We should do this by putting back the work requirement. Of course, getting rid of Obamacare would go far in helping people find work.

Thank you for offering alternatives.

As for your suggestions, I don't think they will add up to much. The combination of food stamps, tanf, and housing benefits does not really compare to the rest of our spending. And the majority of people who receive benefits already have jobs.

Don't get me wrong, I am firmly against illegal being able to reap our welfare benefits, and I also support closing the anchor baby loop hole. Though that would be a lengthy process of amending the constitution. It would take years.

We do need to take action, and we need to take substantial action, and to do it sooner rather than later.

Yeah like there first 40 hour a fucking week job can't afford them enough to live on. Oh'yesss, lets protect the fucking rich as they screw over the people making the damn business work.

Sad. I am sorry you success has made you heartless.

That was his decision. Nobody forced him to make the very foolish, and lazy, decision to start collecting Social Security at the age of 38 (which I'm not sure is actually possible, but for the sake of argument I'll assume for the moment that you're telling the truth). Why he decided to become a freeloader, I don't know.

You're right, it's a tough job market. But putting money into the hands of the American people, and reducing their taxes so that they can keep more of their money, is a much better way to stimulate the economy than to continually trickle out 1.3 pennies for every penny of tax revenue. Jobs will come when people have the chance to spend money on things.

In any event, I'd like to take this chance to ask you how do you feel about the frequent extensions of jobless benefits?

That's what I'm trying to do. Put money, lots of money, in the hands of people now. And let them keep more of their money that they're about to earn in the next 52 weeks.

Yeah like there first 40 hour a fucking week job can't afford them enough to live on. Oh'yesss, lets protect the fucking rich as they screw over the people making the damn business work.

Sad. I am sorry you success has made you heartless.

What are you talking about? I want to put $7500 in the hands of every single person on welfare, right now. Cash, not just food stamps and housing vouchers. And, I want to cut their payroll taxes so they can keep more of their money. What can a needy person do with $7500 in their hands right now? Maybe they want a better job but they can't manage to impress anyone because they don't have the right kind of professional looking clothes. Now they can afford to go buy cheap but respectable looking suit. Maybe they live in an area that has very poor public transportation, and not having a car of their own costs them $500 a month in taxi fares. They can use that money to get a cheap car, and reduce their transportation bills in half. For some people, that money could pay their entire year worth of rent. If they wanted, they could just pay it outright and spend the rest of the year saving their money for something else.

I am not being heartless. I am proposing a way to reduce spending while also providing for the needy, AND stimulating the economy's job creation rate all at the same time. Why are you opposed to these things?

The federal government is spending roughly $1.5 trillion a year on Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid alone. That doesn't even include foodstamps and other welfare programs, pensions, etc. How much is this doing for our economy, as we sink deeper into debt? I propose we cease all spending on such things for one year. The only exception being for those are disabled. During that same time, payroll taxes be reduced by 50% for everyone.

With the money saved, every tax payer and person who receives benefits gets a check for $7500. Use it as you see fit. Use it for food, use it for health care, use it for rent, use it to start your own business. This approach will offer substantial aid for people in need, will be a lesser total expenditure, and will actually yield a lesser deficit. Meanwhile, individuals will be able to have more disposable income with which to stimulate the economy.

Whoaaaa!!!! Congrats!!!! Dumbest post of the month!!!
Perfect! Let's stop spending money on things like Social Security, Medicare/Medicade, SNAP, and pensions.
Of course, you are aware that Social Security IS NOT welfare. It IS NOT a gift from the government. Social Security is the RETURN of money that people paid to the government during their working lives. They are getting back the money the government deducted from their pay checks.
And as for Medicare/Medicade, good call. This is exactly what needs to be done. Let's take away medical care for the oldest and those most likely to get sick among us. Why with any luck several million older Americans will end up dying and we will save a terrific amount of money. Yep, GOOD CALL! And as for ending SNAP benefits, I wish I had thought of that. After all, can it really matter if millions of America's are forced onto a diet which is below the minimum needed to survive. If these people really want food, they can find it.. Are there no trash cans? Are there no dumpsters?
Oh, and by the way, if you think a check for $7500 is enough to live on for a year while starting your own business you are out of your FUCKING mind. For some people receiving Medicare/Medicade the $7500 would not cover their medical expenses for a year. The bottom line is that the $7500 gives people $144 per week to live on. With that they are supposed to purchase food, shelter, clothing, and medical care. Hell, I can't even go to the doctor and get my blood pressure checked for $144. Now, if I stop eating for two weeks and decide to live under an overpass I can get my blood pressure checked. Truly you are nuttier than a fruit cake.

Whoaaaa!!!! Congrats!!!! Dumbest post of the month!!!
Perfect!

Actually, I think that distinction is going to go to you. Allow me to explain why.

Of course, you are aware that Social Security IS NOT welfare.

Of course I am aware. I never said it was welfare. Here, have some Benadryl. I hear rolling around in the straw can really irritate the hayfevers. Which may explain your irrationally irritable mood.

benadryl.jpg

Social Security is the RETURN of money that people paid to the government during their working lives. They are getting back the money the government deducted from their pay checks.

I already addressed that patently false claim somewhere back on page two, in a response to a person who was much more intelligent than you.

And as for Medicare/Medicade, good call. This is exactly what needs to be done. Let's take away medical care for the oldest and those most likely to get sick among us. Why with any luck several million older Americans will end up dying and we will save a terrific amount of money.

Nonsense. You're not paying attention. I'm going to put hard cash in the hands of those people. Between that and Obamacare they'll be able to find affordable health insurance in the private sector, which will cover their health care needs.

And as for ending SNAP benefits, I wish I had thought of that. After all, can it really matter if millions of America's are forced onto a diet which is below the minimum needed to survive. If these people really want food, they can find it.. Are there no trash cans? Are there no dumpsters?

Being a reactionary, emotional mess does not make you intelligent, nor does it present a logical argument. Stop being irrational. How much food can someone buy for $7500? A whole lot, that's how much. They could also use some of that money to buy seeds to plant a veggie garden to help feed themselves and their family. Or, they could use some of the money to buy a hunting rifle and permit, and go hunt for food.

Or here's one I witnessed myself a couple years back....They could use it to buy into a local farm cooperative. I knew someone who was on food stamps at the time. I happened to find out basically by accident. Anyway, the subject came up about a farm in the region that operates as member cooperative. People pay something like $100, and become a vested member. The crop is divided into equal parts and delivered to the members on a weekly basis for the half year season. The yields are pretty incredible for what you pay. All kinds of things from peppers, corn green beans, and other veggies, to strawberries and melons. Well, this acquaintance of mine wanted to get in on it at the time, but she was having some hard times and was on food stamps, and didn't have the budget to squeak out $100 to join in. She was about to try selling her food stamps at 50% to convert it into cash. I ended up paying her way into the group as a gift to her. Of course, if the government gave her $7500 cash instead of a plastic card she could have done that, and in doing so invested into her dietary needs in a way that would save her money in the long run.

Oh, and by the way, if you think a check for $7500 is enough to live on for a year while starting your own business you are out of your FUCKING mind.

Who said anything about living on it? There are alot of business options that can be had for $7500. I know someone who started a car detailing business about a year and a half ago with only a $500 investment. He's not rich. But he's making a living. The hard part for him was scrapping the $500 together while still having money to eat for that first month. If that's not your thing, $2000 can get you started in your own lawn mowing business, complete with web site, advertising, business cards, decent quality riding mower, weed eater, leaf blower, and flatbed trailer for hauling.

Now, this next one won't apply to you, naturally. But for other people out there who are more the brainy type, tutoring can be good way to make some decent money. Some initial advertising and promotional material, and if you're good at what you do you could get rolling pretty quickly. If you're good with kids, and good at subjects like math or science that often give kids a hard time in school, you could find yourself making ends meet very quickly.

Whatever way a person might decide to go, the point is that with that cash in hand a person can decide for him/herself the best way to invest into themselves and their well being.

For some people receiving Medicare/Medicade the $7500 would not cover their medical expenses for a year.

That's where Obamacare comes in, like I already said. Please keep things in a tidy and organized fashion next time. I dislike having to repeat myself simply to accommodate your intellectual weakness.

The bottom line is that the $7500 gives people $144 per week to live on. With that they are supposed to purchase food, shelter, clothing, and medical care.

:eusa_eh: No, they're not. They're supposed to go out and provide for themselves. And use the money in whatever way they see fit to help them get there. If you think it's the government's job to provide food, shelter, clothing, and medical care to people than .....

Truly you are nuttier than a fruit cake.

Ok...I will forgo 80k in "benefits" to get $7500....sounds like a deal

Porky: I'll sell you my pickle for a nickle
Buckwheat: How bout 2 cents?
Porky:Ok
Buckwheat: Ive got two pickles ive got two pickles, ive got two pickles today .. hey hey.. a doo daaa dii daa doo da day!.. ive got tow pickles today! hey hey!

-The Little Rascals

No one can live on $7500 in a year.

Because it’s reckless, ill advised, and unwarranted.

The OP’s premise is naïve, simplistic, and exhibits a schoolboy mentality ignorant of sound governance and wise economic policy.

Because it’s reckless, ill advised, and unwarranted.

The OP’s premise is naïve, simplistic, and exhibits a schoolboy mentality ignorant of sound governance and wise economic policy.

Wow. All you've done is make a name calling post. And you think that's supposed to be an intelligent response?

You may not have gotten the memo. But we have a severe spending problem. We have to reduce spending. Failing to do so would be reckless, ill advised, and unwarranted. Also, Naive, simplistic, and exhibit a schoolboy mentality ignorant of sound governance and wise economic policy.

(Is speechless.) Just...(waves hand unable to find the words) ...Shut up.

An 'intelligent response' to a baby spitting up on itself? Ya, that's what's going to happen.

Last edited:
No one can live on $7500 in a year.

Who said anything about living off of $7500 a year?
Indeed.

Old folks who don't have anything else, rely upon Social Security - we've all seen it time and again.

So, now, it's proposed to stop all benefits - including Social Security - for a year, in order to give every taxpayer a $7500 check?

That's great.

What are those large numbers of old folk - dependent upon Social Security - supposed to live on, for that year?

Zero?

Sounds like you're proposing that those folks live on zero ($0.00) for a year, right?

Not $7500.

But $0.

Is this a correct interpretation of what you're proposing?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back