Stop all benefits for one year.

SwimExpert

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2013
The federal government is spending roughly $1.5 trillion a year on Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid alone. That doesn't even include foodstamps and other welfare programs, pensions, etc. How much is this doing for our economy, as we sink deeper into debt? I propose we cease all spending on such things for one year. The only exception being for those are disabled. During that same time, payroll taxes be reduced by 50% for everyone.

With the money saved, every tax payer and person who receives benefits gets a check for $7500. Use it as you see fit. Use it for food, use it for health care, use it for rent, use it to start your own business. This approach will offer substantial aid for people in need, will be a lesser total expenditure, and will actually yield a lesser deficit. Meanwhile, individuals will be able to have more disposable income with which to stimulate the economy.

Why shouldn't we do this?

The federal government is spending roughly $1.5 trillion a year on Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid alone. That doesn't even include foodstamps and other welfare programs, pensions, etc. How much is this doing for our economy, as we sink deeper into debt? I propose we cease all spending on such things for one year. The only exception being for those are disabled. During that same time, payroll taxes be reduced by 50% for everyone.

With the money saved, every tax payer and person who receives benefits gets a check for $7500. Use it as you see fit. Use it for food, use it for health care, use it for rent, use it to start your own business. This approach will offer substantial aid for people in need, will be a lesser total expenditure, and will actually yield a lesser deficit. Meanwhile, individuals will be able to have more disposable income with which to stimulate the economy.

The money for SS is not federal government money. It is money that was paid by the workforce of America to fund their pensions. And SS is not driving the deficit. It may come as some surprise to you, but the federal government OWES money to SS.

• Banned
People paid into Social Security and medicare, you can not just stop it.

Is it really any worse than raising the eligibility age while reducing benefits? After all, they'd still get their $7500 check for the year.

• Banned
The money for SS is not federal government money. It is money that was paid by the workforce of America to fund their pensions.

Social Security is more than retirement benefits. It's a tax we pay to the government, which the government spends in a variety of ways. The only way a person will be paid anywhere near as much from Social Security as they paid in, is if you become disabled during your working years. Otherwise, you're only going to get pennies on the dollar. True story.

If anyone tried to stop SS payments to our seniors or veterans we would have a real catastrophe on our hands. It would not be pretty.

Don't think of it as stopping them. They'd still get their payout, in the form of a lump sum.

The money for SS is not federal government money. It is money that was paid by the workforce of America to fund their pensions. And SS is not driving the deficit. It may come as some surprise to you, but the federal government OWES money to SS.

Actually, SS are transfer payments as it is set up now. The payers have their money deducted so that the government can pay the payees. There is no pension. It's only a highly inefficient and low return redistribution of wealth scheme as it stands now.

If anyone tried to stop SS payments to our seniors or veterans we would have a real catastrophe on our hands. It would not be pretty.

Don't think of it as stopping them. They'd still get their payout, in the form of a lump sum.

That's one of the most far fetched ideas I've heard yet. NO, it's not feasible or workable and no congressman would ever vote for it.......

That's one of the most far fetched ideas I've heard yet. NO, it's not feasible or workable and no congressman would ever vote for it.......

Oh, I'm sure they wouldn't. But other than the fact that they're all too chickenshit to go for it, there's no reason why it's not feasible.

Sure. We may as well also apply this to our jobs. Instead of getting our weekly paychecks at work, we would only receive a lump sum payment. Great idea.

Oh, I'm sure they wouldn't. But other than the fact that they're all too chickenshit to go for it, there's no reason why it's not feasible.

You haven't a clue......I know veterans who are already talking about a veterans march on Washington, and that's only about a one percent raise that congress took away from us...
Think if you took half of a seniors paycheck away from them? Are you going to pay their rent and car payments? How about their utility bills. It won't work......

Forum List

Back