Stocking up on non perishable food for a SHTF situation.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
Has anyone tried this product or know anything about it?
While we keep a full pantry that would get us through three months or so I want to pad that number with some long term storage grub.
We're thinking about a 6 month supply that provides 1752 meals which is far more than the Wife and I could eat in 6 months.
The shelf life is 25 years so we'd more than likely be dead before it went bad.
With all the crap happening in the world today it would give some peace of mind,just like having plenty of ammo.
The menu actually looks pretty good and it'd be better than starving to death.

I havent tried that particular brand, but i have tried a few different ones. They all seemed about the same to me.
Some things are really freaking good. Some suck. But you take that chance at a restaurant, so..
Go for it man. If SHTF, your hungry ass aint going to care if those eggs have a weird texture lolz

I havent tried that particular brand, but i have tried a few different ones. They all seemed about the same to me.
Some things are really freaking good. Some suck. But you take that chance at a restaurant, so..
Go for it man. If SHTF, your hungry ass aint going to care if those eggs have a weird texture lolz

Yeah...kinda like MRE's.
I've got about a month's worth of MRE's Some are great others not so much.
So between the pantry,MRE's and the 6 month supply of long term storage stuff we'd be close to having a years worth of food.

Water shouldnt be an issue with the pool water and the 15 five gallon jugs of Ozarka.
The 6 month supply needs 85 gallons of water to prepare. The biggest issue would be fuel to cook with if things go totally tits up.
Thinking of picking up 10 propane tanks which should last a long time if all you're doing is heating water.

They may be fine but I'd use THIS company. They have been around a very long time and I've used their product and can attest to the quality over the past 20 years.

I have some right now in my kitchen plus about a 2 year supply put away downstairs.

Holy Shit!!!
They want $8600 bucks for a 6 month supply for two people!!!!
You spent damn near $35K on it?!

Holy Shit!!!
They want $8600 bucks for a 6 month supply for two people!!!!
You spent damn near $20K on it?!

It was a lot cheaper 20 years ago. Shop, compare, and ask yourself what you are not getting with the cheaper brands why they cost less!

Also, consider what you are getting:

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 5.13.51 PM.png

There are many options. Top quality is never cheap. My stuff is at least 15 years old if not longer and is like it was made yesterday.

Also, figure what you spend now on groceries then ask what it would cost to process, freeze dry, dehydrate and package all of that.

Last edited:
While we keep a full pantry that would get us through three months or so I want to pad that number with some long term storage grub.
We're thinking about a 6 month supply that provides 1752 meals which is far more than the Wife and I could eat in 6 months.
With all the crap happening in the world today it would give some peace of mind,just like having plenty of ammo.

Wine?? Where is the wine??

Looks interesting. That being said, I would not fully trust it without first examining it.

Our property is surrounded by thousands of acres of cornfield in the lower hills and valleys. Whitetail deer occupy these fields on a nightly basis, coming down out of the mountain forests and then returning up high to hide during the day. I would estimate their numbers, conservatively, to range in the few thousands. Of course, a deer in the field is not exactly meat in the freezer. However, in a SHTF situation I could hunt from our upstairs windows, aiming out into the fields hundreds of yards away. The combination of suppressor and thermal scope are also quite effective for stealth deer kills.

High numbers of wild turkey, pheasant, rabbit, quail and other small game animals also inhabit the nearby wilderness. Additionally, we live close to a several thousand-acre lake brimming with massive schools of white perch and freshwater mussels. Finally, huge flocks of Canadian geese hang around for most of the year. Overall, meat would not be a problem, come the apocalypse.

Last year we grew tomatoes. This year I plan to grow green peppers and other vegetables and to can them. The woods around here are also full of various edible mushrooms, including chicken of the woods. There are wild onions, wild garlic, wild strawberries, mulberries, fox grapes and lots and lots of wild raspberry bushes. After local farmers harvest their corn, there's always plenty of ears left on the ground, which, when ground up could be used to make cornmeal and bread. Beyond all of that, we purchased hundreds of canned soups, vegetables, fruits and the like this past year, on multiple shopping sprees to local supermarkets. We also stocked up on large bags of flour, beans and rice. If the apocalypse comes, even a short, regional one then we should be good to go, provided starving neighbors leave us alone . . .

I had considered buying up a few cases of military issue MREs for a bit of extra food security but the prices since 2020 were going a bit haywire, and frankly I ate enough of that crap in the Army. Something else I think about quite often is the massive food distribution warehouse down the mountain from our home, in the valley. Someone who worked there told us all about the incredible amount of dry and frozen goods stored there at any given time. I imagine, in a real pinch, we could run food scavenging missions there, although we'd likely run into others with the same idea.

The way I see it, food hoarding is both blessing and curse. If shit ever truly hits the fan on even a regional level, it is very likely those people surrounding us who never thought to stock up could very likely decide to go "shopping" at their neighbors' homes and pantries. The more people who know you've got a food stockpile, the more risk you'll face.

The SHTF paradigm or strategy I've devised for my family is a careful combination or balance between stockpiling and waiting it out and taking what we can carry and staying mobile. Crazy as it sounds, I've even made a routine out of keeping my eye on large properties for sale in the area and along evacuation routes, places currently unoccupied where my family could hunker down for a few days while on the move to greener pastures.

Overall, I personally believe the most difficult SHTF decision to make will be whether or not to stay on our property and "ride" it out, or attempt egress out of the immediate danger zone. I run all manner of apocalyptic scenarios on a weekly basis, ever since COVID kicked off. At this rate, I'll likely be "gaming" apocalyptic scenarios until we're too old to worry about that sort of thing.

Wine?? Where is the wine??

Dont drink wine.
I can make my own beer and vodka.
Assuming I can find the ingredients,may have to resort to raiding the neighbors house.
Although vodka has a looong shelf life,I'd just have to stay out of it until the SHTF.
I figure 6 half gallons a month would do it.

Looks interesting. That being said, I would not fully trust it without first examining it.

Our property is surrounded by thousands of acres of cornfield in the lower hills and valleys. Whitetail deer occupy these fields on a nightly basis, coming down out of the mountain forests and then returning up high to hide during the day. I would estimate their numbers, conservatively, to range in the few thousands. Of course, a deer in the field is not exactly meat in the freezer. However, in a SHTF situation I could hunt from our upstairs windows, aiming out into the fields hundreds of yards away. The combination of suppressor and thermal scope are also quite effective for stealth deer kills.

High numbers of wild turkey, pheasant, rabbit, quail and other small game animals also inhabit the nearby wilderness. Additionally, we live close to a several thousand-acre lake brimming with massive schools of white perch and freshwater mussels. Finally, huge flocks of Canadian geese hang around for most of the year. Overall, meat would not be a problem, come the apocalypse.

Last year we grew tomatoes. This year I plan to grow green peppers and other vegetables and to can them. The woods around here are also full of various edible mushrooms, including chicken of the woods. There are wild onions, wild garlic, wild strawberries, mulberries, fox grapes and lots and lots of wild raspberry bushes. After local farmers harvest their corn, there's always plenty of ears left on the ground, which, when ground up could be used to make cornmeal and bread. Beyond all of that, we purchased hundreds of canned soups, vegetables, fruits and the like this past year, on multiple shopping sprees to local supermarkets. We also stocked up on large bags of flour, beans and rice. If the apocalypse comes, even a short, regional one then we should be good to go, provided starving neighbors leave us alone . . .

I had considered buying up a few cases of military issue MREs for a bit of extra food security but the prices since 2020 were going a bit haywire, and frankly I ate enough of that crap in the Army. Something else I think about quite often is the massive food distribution warehouse down the mountain from our home, in the valley. Someone who worked there told us all about the incredible amount of dry and frozen goods stored there at any given time. I imagine, in a real pinch, we could run food scavenging missions there, although we'd likely run into others with the same idea.

The way I see it, food hoarding is both blessing and curse. If shit ever truly hits the fan on even a regional level, it is very likely those people surrounding us who never thought to stock up could very likely decide to go "shopping" at their neighbors' homes and pantries. The more people who know you've got a food stockpile, the more risk you'll face.

The SHTF paradigm or strategy I've devised for my family is a careful combination or balance between stockpiling and waiting it out and taking what we can carry and staying mobile. Crazy as it sounds, I've even made a routine out of keeping my eye on large properties for sale in the area and along evacuation routes, places currently unoccupied where my family could hunker down for a few days while on the move to greener pastures.

Overall, I personally believe the most difficult SHTF decision to make will be whether or not to stay on our property and "ride" it out, or attempt egress out of the immediate danger zone. I run all manner of apocalyptic scenarios on a weekly basis, ever since COVID kicked off. At this rate, I'll likely be "gaming" apocalyptic scenarios until we're too old to worry about that sort of thing.

This is just going to be a stop gap for the first six months or so.
If it goes beyond that all of us will have bigger worries. We do have a place to go to in the East Texas piney woods that would feed us and supply water indefinitely.
I figure I'd use perhaps four months of food and if it looked like it wasnt going to get any better I'd hit the woods with the camper.

Costco sells one that has 150 meals (3 meals a day for two people for 25 days) for $100, 25 year shelf life. I bought one to augment our normal six month supply of canned/frozen food.

Forum List

Back