WW-1 Era Otto Bock Commercial '98 Mauser Jagdgewehr in 7mm Mauser

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked up a commercial '98 Mauser jagdgewehr (hunting rifle) made by Otto Bock. It's in 7mm Mauser. It has double-set triggers and a 19.50" barrel. Butter-knife bolt handle. I've been waiting for this deal to bear fruit for a month and a half.

It was fitted with a Oigee, Berlin Luxor 3X scope in claw mounts. There is a military marking on the scope (Gew. Nr. 177h) so I suspect it's just a repurposed WW-1 era sniper scope....You can see where there were other rings attached at one time. The scope is "odd" with it's 100 year old tech but still clear. It has a post crosshair.

I did a chamber cast to make sure it was in 7mm Mauser, it was....GTG on a go-no-go gauge too.

The bore is fine so all I plan to do to it is fit a low profile safety as I don't really trust the partially off position of the safety that's on it.

The stock is a two piece affair with the forend being held on by the front sling swivel bolt that pass through a stud fixed to the barrel and a screw into another stud just behind the bone forend cap. The grip cap and buttplate are also of pressed bone.

o 014 (2).JPG

o 004 (2).JPG

o 012 (2).JPG

I picked up a commercial '98 Mauser jagdgewehr (hunting rifle) made by Otto Bock. It's in 7mm Mauser. It has double-set triggers and a 19.50" barrel. Butter-knife bolt handle. I've been waiting for this deal to bear fruit for a month and a half.

It was fitted with a Oigee, Berlin Luxor 3X scope in claw mounts. There is a military marking on the scope (Gew. Nr. 177h) so I suspect it's just a repurposed WW-1 era sniper scope....You can see where there were other rings attached at one time. The scope is "odd" with it's 100 year old tech but still clear. It has a post crosshair.

I did a chamber cast to make sure it was in 7mm Mauser, it was....GTG on a go-no-go gauge too.

The bore is fine so all I plan to do to it is fit a low profile safety as I don't really trust the partially off position of the safety that's on it.

The stock is a two piece affair with the forend being held on by the front sling swivel bolt that pass through a stud fixed to the barrel and a screw into another stud just behind the bone forend cap. The grip cap and buttplate are also of pressed bone.

View attachment 602407
View attachment 602409
View attachment 602408
Very cool, Dude!

Very cool, Dude!
Thanks, I'm into it to the tune of $750.00 but you just don't see old world craftsmanship like that anymore, at least in a modern and still available cartridge.

It was part of a 41-gun estate consignment and it took the several heirs that long to make up their minds on pricing.

I'm going back in the morning to look at the handguns as there is a Walther P-5 I'm sorta interested in if the price is right but what I really want is the two WW-2 1945 dated Soviet Cossack swords they have. Like the one below but in close to excellent condition.

16517936_1_x.jpg

Thanks, I'm into it to the tune of $750.00 but you just don't see old world craftsmanship like that anymore, at least in a modern and still available cartridge.

It was part of a 41-gun estate consignment and it took the several heirs that long to make up their minds on pricing.

I'm going back in the morning to look at the handguns as there is a Walther P-5 I'm sorta interested in if the price is right but what I really want is the two WW-2 1945 dated Soviet Cossack swords they have. Like the one below but in close to excellent condition.

16517936_1_x.jpg
I am no collector, but that rifle looks like a really cool find. Not really into swords. I didn't stay cavalry when I was enlisted long enough to take an interest.

LOL....I was looking up the scope and basically I under-paid for the scope and got a free rifle. :)

It seems that commercial jagdgewehr scopes of the era were pressed into WW-1 German service as sniper scopes but not all got military markings, the ones that did that are still in good shape bring 1K or better. Even the ones that didn't go for around $800.00.

LOL....I was looking up the scope and basically I under-paid for the scope and got a free rifle. :)

It seems that commercial jagdgewehr scopes of the era were pressed into WW-1 German service as sniper scopes but not all got military markings, the ones that did that are still in good shape bring 1K or better. Even the ones that didn't go for around $800.00.
Definitely impressive and beautiful weapon, clean down to the engravings on the scope!

Forum List

Back