Steaks?

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
Where do you get your steaks?

Down at the local biker bar last night one of the guys was talking about how he just loves his Omaha Steaks; better than anything on the market, he said. He claims they taste just like they come from a high-end steakhouse. Well, I've had Omaha Steaks, and I just don't think they're worth the money. Not even a little bit. What's more, they don't taste like any steak I've ever had at, say, Donovan's or Capital Grille.

For instance, Omaha Steaks sells six 6oz. triple cut filets for $130, or $21.66 per steak , which add up to 2.25 pounds. Looking at it another way, that's $57.78 per pound, which is fucking insane.

Omaha Steaks

Being retired Navy, I shop at the commissary at NAS Jax every so often. They get some excellent quality meats, and I've never been disappointed with their filets or their New York Strips (which is "the steak lover's steak"). Really flavorful and tender. I can usually get filets for about $11.99 per pound. NAS Jax is a little bit of a drive, though, so I only go up there a couple of times a year.

Lately, here in town, we've had two butcher shops open. You might consider them "gourmet" or "artisan" but, whatever you call them, their steaks are fucking outstanding. They're a bit pricey (NY Strips are $29.99 per pound, as opposed to $8.99 per pound at Publix), but they are divine. Filets approach $40 per pound. They also do tomahawk steaks which, while I've never bought one, can be a bit spendy, as well.

Of course, there's always the local grocery store (Publix), which is where I probably buy steaks most often. NY Strips can be $8.99 a pound, and they're really tender and flavorful and don't break the bank. For an everyday grilling, Publix meats are an amazing value.

So, where do you get your steaks?

Down at the local biker bar last night one of the guys was talking about how he just loves his Omaha Steaks; better than anything on the market, he said. He claims they taste just like they come from a high-end steakhouse. Well, I've had Omaha Steaks, and I just don't think they're worth the money. Not even a little bit. What's more, they don't taste like any steak I've ever had at, say, Donovan's or Capital Grille.

For instance, Omaha Steaks sells six 6oz. triple cut filets for $130, or $21.66 per steak , which add up to 2.25 pounds. Looking at it another way, that's $57.78 per pound, which is fucking insane.

Omaha Steaks

Being retired Navy, I shop at the commissary at NAS Jax every so often. They get some excellent quality meats, and I've never been disappointed with their filets or their New York Strips (which is "the steak lover's steak"). Really flavorful and tender. I can usually get filets for about $11.99 per pound. NAS Jax is a little bit of a drive, though, so I only go up there a couple of times a year.

Lately, here in town, we've had two butcher shops open. You might consider them "gourmet" or "artisan" but, whatever you call them, their steaks are fucking outstanding. They're a bit pricey (NY Strips are $29.99 per pound, as opposed to $8.99 per pound at Publix), but they are divine. Filets approach $40 per pound. They also do tomahawk steaks which, while I've never bought one, can be a bit spendy, as well.

Of course, there's always the local grocery store (Publix), which is where I probably buy steaks most often. NY Strips can be $8.99 a pound, and they're really tender and flavorful and don't break the bank. For an everyday grilling, Publix meats are an amazing value.

Sam's Club sells the steaks that usually end up at the restaurants like LongHorn and Outback. Same grade A. because Sam's was made for the small business owner, who wanted a deal, but could not have to buy so much bulk like the big box chains...

I always went to a butcher shop bought a whole tenderloin and gave it to my dad for Christmas. You just cannot beat a good filet mignon

Omaha Steaks

Sam's Club sells the steaks that usually end up at the restaurants like LongHorn and Outback. Same grade A. because Sam's was made for the small business owner, who wanted a deal, but could not have to buy so much bulk like the big box chains...

The only reason I really go to the warehouse stores is for their photo labs. The prices for prints are dirt cheap and the quality is excellent.

If I were going to be grilling a large number of steaks I'd probably make the drive to Costco (30 mins on a good day) but, for just me and the hot Puerto Rican girlfriend? Publix gets the job done...

I go to whoever has sales. Then, i just look for a good cut. If i dont see any, i wont buy any.

Lowes Foods. They have a great butcher/meat section that includes dry aging, smoking meats, making sausages, just fantastic.

Don't even get me started on their Beer Den and the selection of beers in the cooler...

Omaha Steaks

I have considered getting a membership to Sams. They are an hour away though.
BBBUUUUTTTT i went in there with a friend one time and the meat and seafood section gave me a hard on. Its like paradise to foodies, lol. Probably be worth the drive once a month, i just havent got there yet.

Omaha Steaks

Costco for choice and on occasion prime.

Lowes Foods. They have a great butcher/meat section that includes dry aging, smoking meats, making sausages, just fantastic.

Don't even get me started on their Beer Den and the selection of beers in the cooler...

I visited them when I was on assignment in Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago but, due to the nature of the job, I had to focus on ready-to-eat stuff as opposed to steaks.

Those were dark times...

Omaha Steaks

Costco for choice and on occasion prime.

Costco is good too...

Omaha Steaks

I go to a shop called "Miss Steaks". But there's always something wrong with them.

giphy.gif

Omaha Steaks

we get an Omaha steak box every yr from the in-laws and every yr I am disappointed with them,,,

their prices went up this yr and we didnt get them so all is good,

the best steaks are from a cattle grower you know and trust,, truthfully I am a burger guy and never saw the value in a 30 dollar steak over a good 10 dollar burger properly prepared,,

I visited them when I was on assignment in Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago but, due to the nature of the job, I had to focus on ready-to-eat stuff as opposed to steaks.

Those were dark times...

It's only been in the last couple of years they hit the Charleston area. I love the place, they have stuff that appeals to my southwest palate that I can't find in other stores around here.

Omaha steaks are complete garbage.

If I just want a decent steak I go to my local butcher shop. He sells CAB steaks,Certified Angus Beef. Ribeye or NY strip are my favorites. Or I'll go to my HEB,they now sell 29 day dry aged angus.
If I want something truly special I order from Snake River Farms or Allen Brothers.
They sell everything from WAGYU to dry aged beef. Although they are a little pricey.

If I want something truly special I order from Snake River Farms or Allen Brothers.
They sell everything from WAGYU to dry aged beef. Although they are a little pricey.

I've seen them online but have never tried them.

Frankly, considering Omaha Steaks, I view any online steak vendor with suspicion. What sets these apart?

I've seen them online but have never tried them.

Frankly, considering Omaha Steaks, I view any online steak vendor with suspicion. What sets these apart?

They sell the best.
They couldnt demand those prices if they sucked.
Trust me,you cant go wrong with either of em.
Plus you can find steaks that aren't readily available to the general public.

Forum List

Back