state a random obscure fact thread

Speed of sound is 1127.5 feet per second at sea-level and 32 deg F.

Speed of light is 186,282.3976 statute miles per second in vacuum.

Childbearing decisions by women who control their own fertility tend to result in 1.6 children each and successful horse breeders have been using a 60% maternal inheritance rule of thumb for more than a century. Since the law is based on equal inheritance between the sexes we're in for a surprise as genetics keeps advancing.

Two of the crafters of the Declaration of Independence died on July 4, 1826 exactly 50 years from the signing of the document

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, our second and third Presidents

More than 50% of the time 1, 2 or 3 will be the first number in a sum, including 4 that rises to 2/3s of the time. This tendency doesn't revert to the statistical mean until the 4th digit. This is a great check for cooked books and if you forget number the rule is just bring up an image of a sliderule and measure with a ruler

If I could expound on this, the speed of light is the only constant in the universe. Furthermore, it is the same for all observers, no matter how fast they themselves are moving or how fast the object that is shining the light is moving.

Light can be bent by a massive object. This was tested during an eclipse shortly after Einstein came out with Relativity.

Last edited:
Despite an enormous amount of "information" to the contrary, the invasive fish known as the Northern Snakehead (known also as Channa argus) cannot walk on land.

7090363821_360e0f6fe8.jpg

If you had the eyesight of an owl, you could read a newspaper from 100 yards away...

...that is if you ever wanted to read a newspaper again.

If I could expound on this, the speed of light is the only constant in the universe. Furthermore, it is the same for all observers, no matter how fast they themselves are moving or how fast the object that is shining the light is moving.

Light can be bent by a massive object. This was tested during an eclipse shortly after Einstein came out with Relativity.

This is purported to be a partial list of Universal Constants. What's Up?

Constant_______________ Symbol__________________ Value
acceleration due to gravity..... g ..............................9.8 m s-2
atomic mass unit ........amu, mu or u ...........................1.66 x10-27 kg
Avogadro's Number .................N..................................6.022 x 1023 mol-1
Bohr radius .........................a0...............................0.529 x 10-10 m
Boltzmann constant ...................k ..........................1.38 x 10-23 J K-1
electron charge to mass ratio... -e/me ...............-1.7588 x 1011 C kg-1
electron classical radius ...........re .........................2.818 x 10-15 m
electron mass energy.................. mec2............................8.187 x 10-14 J
electron mass energy (MeV) ..mec2.......................... 0.511 MeV
electron rest mass........................me ..........................9.109 x 10-31 kg
Faraday constant .....................F ............................9.649 x 104 C mol-1
fine-structure constant .............α ..............................7.297 x 10-3
gas constant ...........................R ............................8.314 J mol-1 K-1
gravitational constant....................G .........................6.67 x 10-11 Nm2kg-2
neutron mass energy................... (J)...........................mnc21.505 x 10-10 J
neutron mass energy (MeV) ......mnc2.......................... 939.565 MeV
neutron-electron mass ratio............mn/me .............................1838.68
neutron-proton mass ratio ...........mn/mp ..............................1.0014
Planck constant................................h.............................. 6.626 x 10-34 J s
proton mass energy...................... (MeV)..................... mpc2 938.272 MeV
speed of light in vacuum....................C.......................... 2.9979 x 108 m/s

Despite an enormous amount of "information" to the contrary, the invasive fish known as the Northern Snakehead (known also as Channa argus) cannot walk on land.

7090363821_360e0f6fe8.jpg

I wish that were true....This one scared the snot out of me the other day when he snuck up behind me. Luckily he was not a fast mover.

images

So disappointing I know, but it's all done with smoke and mirrors and CGI. Damn, another long cherished belief crushed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLwML2PagbY]Mercedes-Benz TV: MAGIC BODY CONTROL TV commercial "Chicken" - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back