Starbucks must be getting hammered

I believe that the entire effort is packaged dishonestly. Did they REALLY want a discussion on race, or did they just want yet another platform from which to lecture white America about guilt they are supposed to be feeling? The former, a good thing. The latter, not so much.
Why would you call it lecturing about "guilt"? There is no reason to be guilty unless you are a racist.
That's what I mean. White America is assumed to be racist in far too many of these situations.
Doesnt matter whats assumed. Talking tends to clear that up. People can see your point of view.
Actually, it DOES matter what's being assumed. Is it assumed that the barristas are going to start the conversation from the same POV? IOW, if a white barrista opens the conversation with a black customer by stating that he/she believes the plight of the young American black male has deeper roots in the breakdown of the American family than it does in anti-black American racism, is that considered a "conversation about race", or is the barrista going to be reviled as a racist? Or, as I believe to be the case, is the barrista expected to start the conversation from the POV that black Americans are discriminated against and their plight is solely, or mostly, due to racism?
I actually don't care what the POV is.

If a waitperson starts a conversation about anything other than the menu and service, I am complaining to the manager.

I believe that the entire effort is packaged dishonestly. Did they REALLY want a discussion on race, or did they just want yet another platform from which to lecture white America about guilt they are supposed to be feeling? The former, a good thing. The latter, not so much.
Why would you call it lecturing about "guilt"? There is no reason to be guilty unless you are a racist.
That's what I mean. White America is assumed to be racist in far too many of these situations.
Doesnt matter whats assumed. Talking tends to clear that up. People can see your point of view.
Actually, it DOES matter what's being assumed. Is it assumed that the barristas are going to start the conversation from the same POV? IOW, if a white barrista opens the conversation with a black customer by stating that he/she believes the plight of the young American black male has deeper roots in the breakdown of the American family than it does in anti-black American racism, is that considered a "conversation about race", or is the barrista going to be reviled as a racist? Or, as I believe to be the case, is the barrista expected to start the conversation from the POV that black Americans are discriminated against and their plight is solely, or mostly, due to racism?
No it doesnt matter. If you cant have a conversation with someone that has a different point of view you may as well turn in your adulthood card and get some remedial training on how to articulate your thoughts. Conversations between people with different points of view ultimately render at least a better understanding of the other side of the issue. For instance in your mock assertion regarding the Black family, I would ask if you thought the family breakdown was caused by racist policies.

It was a great idea but they need to reflect diversity in their leadership team prior to moving on to the public sector.
Would you be comfortable with a waitperson discussing a charged topic from a POV you disagreed with?
Yes I would be comfortable but then again I like talking to people to see what makes them tick. I find most people dont have the intelligence or curiosity to do that. I've actually sat down with a proclaimed KKK member and talked about his views.
You sat down with him, he did not intrude into your coffee break or meal.

BIG difference.
Wrong. We did it over lunch not that it makes a difference. I dont consider talking an intrusion as I can do 2 things at the same time with little effort.
Was the Kluxer a waitperson that initiated the conversation?
Why would that have made a difference?

For something like the following to be written..BTW they aren't minding their own business when they try to delve into their customers.
www.marketwatch.com/story/starbucks-critics-are-ruining-america-2015-03-26.
Hard to boycott a place I will not patronize.

I don't want waitstaff doing a damned thing but their job.

It is not their place to discuss anything other than the menu.
Considering most of the employees are under 21 they have no business lecturing anyone about anything.

For something like the following to be written..BTW they aren't minding their own business when they try to delve into their customers.

Considering most of the employees are under 21 they have no business lecturing anyone about anything.
When did a conversation turn into a lecture?

Why is understanding or enlightenment never the issue with whites. The only options they ever see is

1. Dont talk about race

or

2. Talk about it and a supposed guilt is involved

Instead of you know, increasing awareness and stuff. You act as if information is supposed to have an emotional reaction

they should have been hammered

I hope they lost money on top of it

way to go people....:eusa_clap: and not let them shove some stupid idea on social policies down your throats

Race together turned into race away from that store . lol

When did a conversation turn into a lecture?

When its about race

Why is understanding or enlightenment never the issue with whites. The only options they ever see is

1. Dont talk about race

or

Instead of you know, increasing awareness and stuff. You act as if information is supposed to have an emotional reaction
I go back to my primary assertion. Whites, actually racist whites, are full of fear regarding the expression of their views. They dont want understanding or resolution. They want chaos because chaos makes them feel genetically comfortable.

hAhv35A.jpg

1. Dont talk about race

or

I go back to my primary assertion. Whites, actually racist whites are full of fear regarding the expression of their views. They dont want understanding or resolution. They want chaos because chaos makes them feel genetically comfortable.
This coming from someone who supports hate of all white people.....

1. Dont talk about race

or

I go back to my primary assertion. Whites, actually racist whites, are full of fear regarding the expression of their views. They dont want understanding or resolution. They want chaos because chaos makes them feel genetically comfortable.
I have no problem discussing race here with you, in a discussion forum.

I'd tell you to fuck yourself if you were a waitperson and brought it up at my table.

1. Dont talk about race

or

I go back to my primary assertion. Whites, actually racist whites are full of fear regarding the expression of their views. They dont want understanding or resolution. They want chaos because chaos makes them feel genetically comfortable.
You must have never talked to me which is pretty much the point of what Starbucks was trying to foster.

No it doesnt matter. If you cant have a conversation with someone that has a different point of view you may as well turn in your adulthood card and get some remedial training on how to articulate your thoughts. Conversations between people with different points of view ultimately render at least a better understanding of the other side of the issue. For instance in your mock assertion regarding the Black family, I would ask if you thought the family breakdown was caused by racist policies.
And I would say no, because the breakdown in the American family is not restricted to black families. It is WORSE among the black community, but is not exclusive to it. Now, I would love to have these kinds of conversations with individuals, but what happens to a lot of people is the very public and ugly reactions when these kinds of things are voiced. They are then, as intended, silenced on the subject because they rightly think the deck is stacked against them from the start. To even give voice to some of these things is to invite screams of "racist".

1. Dont talk about race

or

I have no problem discussing race here with you, in a discussion forum.

I'd tell you to fuck yourself if you were a waitperson and brought it up at my table.
I know. The other part of that assertion is that whites talk a great deal online about race. In public they get silent.

1. Dont talk about race

or

You must have never talked to me which is pretty much the point of what Starbucks was trying to foster.
What info could they provide that isn't known?

You dont know...thats the problem. Also your violent / flippant reaction to any discussion on race.
Well I see you don't provide any but hit the whine button first chance....mommy he microaggressed me

And I would say no, because the breakdown in the American family is not restricted to black families. It is WORSE among the black community, but is not exclusive to it. Now, I would love to have these kinds of conversations with individuals, but what happens to a lot of people is the very public and ugly reactions when these kinds of things are voiced. They are then, as intended, silenced on the subject because they rightly think the deck is stacked against them from the start. To even give voice to some of these things is to invite screams of "racist".
I would disagree with your view of the issue and point out that shit rolls downhill which affects the people at the bottom of social ladder more adversely than anyone else even if its not being done intentionally which is still racism.

I find that people talking in public have a tendency to be way more polite as in the case of my talk with the guy that was in the KKK. After talking to him I found out the reason he was in the KKK was because one of his aunts married a Black guy that beat his cousins all the time.

1. Dont talk about race

or

Never talked.....you were all over the thread supporting miss I hate all whites and it was all good to you

Forum List

Back