squirrel proof bird feeder?

last year i had a few red squirrels....this year they are on the feeder dawn to dusk...and i am going thru 40 lbs of black oil seed in about 5 days ...that is adding up.....i cant do the baffle cause i have trees ....when the beautiful feeder my hubby made me ...runs out..they chew on it...my hubby is pointing out that the squirrels are totally outta hand....and will just continue to increase.....i love to watch the squirrels ....but this is becoming a huge problem...

so are there really any squirrel proof feeders...brome's they just eat the plastic bottom out....
Ours is squirrel proof but it does take a while for the average squirrel to figure out the futility of expending the energy they do to occasionally get themselves perched on the feeding ring, meant only to support X amount of bird weight before the spring mechanism closes off the openings to the food. It’s entertaining to see them finally figure out all has been for naught and seek nourishment elsewhere. Squirrels are a lot like liberals I’ve decided. Very slow when running on brain power.

Our feeder is store-bought though.

Does your feeder hang from a tree or is on a pole? If it is on a pole... there are a couple things you can do.

You can actually put a slinky on it.

Another is to spray the pole with oil so they slide off.

The slinky doesn't work. At least not on Maine squirrels. My coworker recently tried it. He's shooting them now.

There is a weight-activated bird feeder that you adjust, the weight of a squirrel on the perch closes the feed window. But the squirrels quickly figure out they can stay off the perch, swing the feeder back and forth til the seed falls on the ground. If it were on a pole, that might be harder for them. You could try it.

Damn mosquitos and black flies though.

During my time in Alaska, I learned that the mosquito is the state bird. They were so big, you could feel them land on you before they jabbed you with their harpoons. Horse flies? Ouch. They'll bite off chunks of meat.
An Air Force guy told me that a mosquito landed at Elmendorf AFB one time and the refueling crew pumped 25 pounds of fuel into it before they realized it wasn't an aircraft. :21:

last year i had a few red squirrels....this year they are on the feeder dawn to dusk...and i am going thru 40 lbs of black oil seed in about 5 days ...that is adding up.....i cant do the baffle cause i have trees ....when the beautiful feeder my hubby made me ...runs out..they chew on it...my hubby is pointing out that the squirrels are totally outta hand....and will just continue to increase.....i love to watch the squirrels ....but this is becoming a huge problem...

so are there really any squirrel proof feeders...brome's they just eat the plastic bottom out....

A number of options, some that spin endlessly when squirrels grab hold. You can electrify them with low voltage so they get a shock but it doesn't hurt them. Check youtube, countless videos.

Yeah, well low voltage might scare off Squirrels, but it might kill the Birds they're trying to attract.

I'd personally say a mix of hot pepper in a Squirrel Buster feeder shall be approx 100% Squirrel proof.

The birds are too small, the videos show how to hook it up so the squirrels, who have long bodies, are the only ones that can touch the appropriate metal parts that are spaced so only the squirrels are affected. The birds are 100% safe.

Forum List

Back