Sports Playing Surfaces

22lcidw

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2018
Does anyone have an opinion on major sports changing the size of the playing surface they use? Basketball Courts, Ice Hockey Rinks, Football Fields being the major American Sports with others.

I can't believe you listed those as "major American sports" while omitting baseball, the obvious first mention. Ice hockey rinks, REALLY?

So yes. This squeezing-in of the foul area in recent decades is bullshit. Takes away fielding room, causes injuries not only running into walls but running over bullpen mounds and confines the players, way too much. That foul territory IS part of the playing surface, as long as you can record an out in it.

I can't believe you listed those as "major American sports" while omitting baseball, the obvious first mention. Ice hockey rinks, REALLY?

So yes. This squeezing-in of the foul area in recent decades is bullshit. Takes away fielding room, causes injuries not only running into walls but running over bullpen mounds and confines the players, way too much. That foul territory IS part of the playing surface, as long as you can record an out in it.
I left Baseball out because they can do what they want with the fields and foul territory areas. I read where Basketball with its 3 point line is to close to the sideline. There could be a widening of the court. Hockey has an international size rink that is larger then the North American standard. American Football may be better with enlarging as the athletes are a bit better today. Perhaps instead of yard lines, meter lines? Length and Width.

I left Baseball out because they can do what they want with the fields and foul territory areas. I read where Basketball with its 3 point line is to close to the sideline. There could be a widening of the court. Hockey has an international size rink that is larger then the North American standard. American Football may be better with enlarging as the athletes are a bit better today. Perhaps instead of yard lines, meter lines? Length and Width.

Sooooo baseball "can do what they want" but nobody else can?

Baseball's playing areas are different in each stadium. Their foul lines are different also. The other three sports are the same dimensions. Foul/out of bounds areas for plays make no difference or does not apply.

mixxxxxx.jpg

He’s slow. Be nice.

Thats true for the most part.
Try putting a Tal's Hill on an NFL feild.
1586559370369.png

Does anyone have an opinion on major sports changing the size of the playing surface they use? Basketball Courts, Ice Hockey Rinks, Football Fields being the major American Sports with others.
soccer need bigger goals/and or less players/smaller field
..they play so much without much scoring
Fewer players would lead to more goals
But they will never change.

View attachment 321842

Yeah, that thing is just perverse.

View attachment 321842

Yeah, that thing is just perverse.

It's no longer there.

Baseball's playing areas are different in each stadium. Their foul lines are different also. The other three sports are the same dimensions. Foul/out of bounds areas for plays make no difference or does not apply.

--- which is EXACTLY why that varying foul territory MATTERS. Which is not to say they have to be uniform but IS to say those stadia are doing a disservice to the sport by squeezing them the way they are. Which directly and exactly answers your own title's question.

:banghead:

When you don't give a fielder sufficient room to play the ball, you change how the game is played.

..I remember one World Cup where they played standard game [ an HOUR and a half ] --then OT-still tied 1-1 !!!! 2006 I think

..I remember one World Cup where they played standard game [ an HOUR and a half ] --then OT-still tied 1-1 !!!! 2006 I think

I'd rather watch golf or bowling....
Sockher sucks!!!

Soccer is like chess. You play not to lose

Makes for a boring game

Leave the field alone

The problem with sports today is they cripple the defense to allow open scoring

Forum List

Back