Speaking of Operating Systems

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
I have finally returned to Kubuntu 18.04 after playing around with Ubuntu 18.04. The reason and yes Blei Linux distros are not perfect, was Ubuntu refused to see my HP printer. Seems it's a known issue that hasn't been resolved yet sooooooo, I reinstalled Kubuntu, sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade and boom, there was my printer. Not only that Kubuntu is much more customizable than Ubuntu. :thup:

I didn't have to do the "sudo apt" as it has a software updater built in, I just prefer using Terminal (or Konsole in Kubuntu) for certain things.

When I used to screw around with the Linux blow ware, I would have to go into the device drivers for my CD player and edit it before it would recognize it; not a big deal, once you finally found the line and removed the * or whatever symbol was that blocked reading of a line in those days, but it was pretty annoying and cost some time, same with spending a couple months tracking down a bug that kept me from installing Linux because the kernel had an issue with the L2 cache on some Pentium II microprcessors and I had to disable it in the BIOS to get it to load. I'm happy with Windows 7 now, my current system has been running with only 2 reboots over 6 years now; I'm one of those who never turns their PCs off unless they're changing parts out, and with a backup power supply power outages aren't a problem.

When I used to screw around with the Linux blow ware, I would have to go into the device drivers for my CD player and edit it before it would recognize it; not a big deal, once you finally found the line and removed the * or whatever symbol was that blocked reading of a line in those days, but it was pretty annoying and cost some time, same with spending a couple months tracking down a bug that kept me from installing Linux because the kernel had an issue with the L2 cache on some Pentium II microprcessors and I had to disable it in the BIOS to get it to load. I'm happy with Windows 7 now, my current system has been running with only 2 reboots over 6 years now; I'm one of those who never turns their PCs off unless they're changing parts out, and with a backup power supply power outages aren't a problem.
Uuuummmmmm, so you used a "generic" Linux, not a specific distro? Interesting. Where did you find this "generic" Linux that's not a specific distro?

Oh and the wife has Win 10, it also wouldn't load the printer even though it saw it, ended up deleting all the printer software and reinstalling it and have it search for the printer by the Host name.......

Last edited:
I tried Slackware, REd Hat, several versions, 3.2 and up to 8.0, and a German version I can't recall the name of at the moment, versions 11 and 12 of that one, they used green letters in their logos is all I can recall at the moment, they came 'highly rated' so I tried them. I began using the 'System Commander' software to make it easier to mess with back then; it worked better than the dual boot software that came with the Linus distributions at the time. With the advent of free Open Office and other stuff for Windows I just ended up staying with Windows 98, a stable OER version, and later 64 bit Windows 7 that came on my last PC, the current one, I bought about 7 or so years ago. My next PC I may try out some the later Linux flavors just to see if they work as claimed; they never did back when I was into playing around with that stuff.

Looked it up; the German version was SUSE 11 and SUSE 12. They put out English versions at the time. Maybe they still do.

Last edited:
I tried Slackware, REd Hat, several versions, 3.2 and up to 8.0, and a German version I can't recall the name of at the moment, versions 11 and 12 of that one, they used green letters in their logos is all I can recall at the moment, they came 'highly rated' so I tried them. I began using the 'System Commander' software to make it easier to mess with back then; it worked better than the dual boot software that came with the Linus distributions at the time. With the advent of free Open Office and other stuff for Windows I just ended up staying with Windows 98, a stable OER version, and later 64 bit Windows 7 that came on my last PC, the current one, I bought about 7 or so years ago. My next PC I may try out some the later Linux flavors just to see if they work as claimed; they never did back when I was into playing around with that stuff.

Looked it up; the German version was SUSE 11 and SUSE 12. They put out English versions at the time. Maybe they still do.
Okay so it appears you're trying the more technical distros, older ones at that, the ones that typically require some knowledge of command line and coding....... The much more user friendly distros are Ubuntu (and variants) and Linux Mint (and Variants), most of the other distros are more Linux purist tech knowledge related to one degree or another. Even Fedora (a very popular distro) which is based on Red Hat tends towards the more purist approach.
For the most part Ubuntu and Mint are load and play, they understand that the vast majority of users are not techies and try to make their distros work better for them. It's also why most Linux purists hate Ubuntu and Mint, they cater to the typical user. Do they still have issues? Of course, what OS doesn't?

I have finally returned to Kubuntu 18.04 after playing around with Ubuntu 18.04. The reason and yes Blei Linux distros are not perfect, was Ubuntu refused to see my HP printer. Seems it's a known issue that hasn't been resolved yet sooooooo, I reinstalled Kubuntu, sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade and boom, there was my printer. Not only that Kubuntu is much more customizable than Ubuntu. :thup:

I didn't have to do the "sudo apt" as it has a software updater built in, I just prefer using Terminal (or Konsole in Kubuntu) for certain things.

I'm a lifelong windows user and I love it; should I switch?

That's up to you. If you really love Windows then why switch? :dunno:

Installed an update for 16.04 last weekend...Laptop has been locking up and goofing up several times a day ever since.
Question. Why 16.04 and not 18.04? How old is the laptop?
I didn't upgrade when 18 came out, so the bugs got worked out.....Guess it's just laziness.....It's an older laptop, though there's 18 on one I have that's even older.

I'm just wondering if Linux is that awesome. Your opinion would be the first I heard.

Installed an update for 16.04 last weekend...Laptop has been locking up and goofing up several times a day ever since.
Question. Why 16.04 and not 18.04? How old is the laptop?
I didn't upgrade when 18 came out, so the bugs got worked out.....Guess it's just laziness.....It's an older laptop, though there's 18 on one I have that's even older.
Question is do you like the gnome 3 interface or do you prefer something more "classic"? Do you want more configurabilty (not sure that's even a word.....)? There are 7 different Ubuntu flavors, 5 that are actually what you would probably be looking at.

I'm just wondering if Linux is that awesome. Your opinion would be the first I heard.

I never try to convince anyone that one operating system is better than another. Why? Because it's a matter of personal choice, what you like, what you're comfortable with and what you use the OS for. I use both Linux and Windows, some swear by Mac OSx, again it's personal preference.
Linux is awesome to those who love it, Windows is awesome to those who love it, OSx is awesome to those who love it.
I find all have their strengths and weaknesses just like everything else. If you want to try Linux and you know how to burn an ISO (bootable disk) to disk of thumb drive then you can try out the different distributions without installing them.

What's the advantage of using an OS system full of bugs?
Considering most are to one degree or another at one time or another you should ask yourself that question..........
Well, IDK, I wouldn't characterize W10 as being "full of bugs." I've used it exclusively since virtually when it came out, and I'd have to say it's been pretty much trouble free. Sure there's been a little bug here or there, but it's always been something with an easy, quick fix.

I just wondered about these other operating systems. If they don't play well with this and that and you're always having to tinker with them, then what's the advantage? Why not just use W10?

What's the advantage of using an OS system full of bugs?
Considering most are to one degree or another at one time or another you should ask yourself that question..........
Well, IDK, I wouldn't characterize W10 as being "full of bugs." I've used it exclusively since virtually when it came out, and I'd have to say it's been pretty much trouble free. Sure there's been a little bug here or there, but it's always been something with an easy, quick fix.

I just wondered about these other operating systems. If they don't play well with this and that and you're always having to tinker with them, then what's the advantage? Why not just use W10?
Wow!, your experience with Windows 10 is obviously everyone's experience with Windows 10........ :rolleyes:
Why don't you do a quick search of forums that are specifically dedicated to Windows and you'll see. Besides you didn't read what I posted, you read into what I posted, I didn't specifically refer to windows 10 though I did include it.
As for this current problem with Ubuntu and my printer, it's rare nowadays besides, I loaded Kubuntu and guess what, printer is there, no tinkering like I had to do with Win 10 to get the printer working.