Speaking of Operating Systems

What's the advantage of using an OS system full of bugs?
Considering most are to one degree or another at one time or another you should ask yourself that question..........
Well, IDK, I wouldn't characterize W10 as being "full of bugs." I've used it exclusively since virtually when it came out, and I'd have to say it's been pretty much trouble free. Sure there's been a little bug here or there, but it's always been something with an easy, quick fix.

I just wondered about these other operating systems. If they don't play well with this and that and you're always having to tinker with them, then what's the advantage? Why not just use W10?

The most obvious advantage to Linux distros is that they are free.

Beyond that, there are plenty of different people/sites that have given reasons they prefer a particular Linux distro to Windows, or Linux in general to Windows. Maybe it has to do with security, maybe less 'bloatware', maybe reliability, maybe because Linux is supposed to work better with older hardware.

In my experience Linux requires more work on the part of the user. However, everyone will use their PC for different things, so for many, one of the easier to use distros could be as easy as Windows. :dunno:

Considering most are to one degree or another at one time or another you should ask yourself that question..........
Well, IDK, I wouldn't characterize W10 as being "full of bugs." I've used it exclusively since virtually when it came out, and I'd have to say it's been pretty much trouble free. Sure there's been a little bug here or there, but it's always been something with an easy, quick fix.

I just wondered about these other operating systems. If they don't play well with this and that and you're always having to tinker with them, then what's the advantage? Why not just use W10?

Beyond that, there are plenty of different people/sites that have given reasons they prefer a particular Linux distro to Windows, or Linux in general to Windows. Maybe it has to do with security, maybe less 'bloatware', maybe reliability, maybe because Linux is supposed to work better with older hardware.

In my experience Linux requires more work on the part of the user. However, everyone will use their PC for different things, so for many, one of the easier to use distros could be as easy as Windows. :dunno:
I'm back to using KDE, Kubuntu in this instance, seems I keep returning to it no matter what I try so it's quite possible I've found my Linux distro of choice.
After reading about whether Kubuntu or KDE Neon is best I installed Neon on my laptop to try it out. Neon is built on Ubuntu 16.04, the way I read it described is Kubuntu focuses on the operating system with a KDE Plasma interface, KDE Neon focuses on the KDE Plasma interface over the operating system. Neon is bleeding edge KDE Plasma which means more possibility for packages to crash as I've discovered and some packages that work perfectly fine on Kubuntu won't work on Neon at all.
That said Neon is somewhat faster than Kubuntu and a little prettier so it comes down to do I want stability with a slower roll out rate for updated plasma packages or do I want bleeding edge plasma with much faster roll out rates........ Pretty sure I'm going to go with the more stable but the more I play with Neon I may change my mind.
I did have to install Kubuntu's Driver Manager on KDE Neon, Neon doesn't have one.

Last edited:

I'm back to using KDE, Kubuntu in this instance, seems I keep returning to it no matter what I try so it's quite possible I've found my Linux distro of choice.
After reading about whether Kubuntu or KDE Neon is best I installed Neon on my laptop to try it out. Neon is built on Ubuntu 16.04, the way I read it described is Kubuntu focuses on the operating system with a KDE Plasma interface, KDE Neon focuses on the KDE Plasma interface over the operating system. Neon is bleeding edge KDE Plasma which means more possibility for packages to crash as I've discovered and some packages that work perfectly fine on Kubuntu won't work on Neon at all.
That said Neon is somewhat faster than Kubuntu and a little prettier so it comes down to do I want stability with a slower roll out rate for updated plasma packages or do I want bleeding edge plasma with much faster roll out rates........ Pretty sure I'm going to go with the more stable but the more I play with Neon I may change my mind.
I did have to install Kubuntu's Driver Manager on KDE Neon, Neon doesn't have one.

I haven't been using my Linux boot much of late. It's mostly just me being lazy, as I have various things saved in Firefox on my Windows boot. :p

I haven't been using my Linux boot much of late. It's mostly just me being lazy, as I have various things saved in Firefox on my Windows boot. :p
My Windows machine is still my primary gamer though there are a few other things I do with it. I do everything else on my Linux machines

My favorite OS is the one I have the least issues with.
That's one of the primary reasons I keep going back to Kubuntu, the others are functionality, customization and appearance. Out of all the Linux distros I like Kubuntu best though I also like KDE Neon but Neon isn't a true distro by definition.
One other thing, and I've mentioned this many times before, I actually like Windows I just hate Microsucks and what they've done with Windows. Since they're the number one OS by a humongous margin they appear to have developed the arrogant approach that what is good for Microsoft has to be good for everyone. I would LOVE to be around when the eventuality occurs and they have to eat a truck load of humble pies..........

That's one of the primary reasons I keep going back to Kubuntu, the others are functionality, customization and appearance. Out of all the Linux distros I like Kubuntu best though I also like KDE Neon but Neon isn't a true distro by definition.
One other thing, and I've mentioned this many times before, I actually like Windows I just hate Microsucks and what they've done with Windows. Since they're the number one OS by a humongous margin they appear to have developed the arrogant approach that what is good for Microsoft has to be good for everyone. I would LOVE to be around when the eventuality occurs and they have to eat a truck load of humble pies..........
They´re now into cloud services and their experiment of exporting Windows to the new platforms like smartphones has already failed due to shitty software. Since they have made several approaches onto Linux it would be interesting to know what they think about the future of Windows.

They´re now into cloud services and their experiment of exporting Windows to the new platforms like smartphones has already failed due to shitty software. Since they have made several approaches onto Linux it would be interesting to know what they think about the future of Windows.
Yeah, Ubuntu's experiment to be the one size fits all platforms (Unity) failed and not because of shitty software but because people don't want a one size fits all operating system and the fact that Canonical got into the cell phone market too late.
One would think Microsucks would have looked at that and figured it out but once again Microsuck's metrics for measuring their popularity is enormously skewed........

Yeah, Ubuntu's experiment to be the one size fits all platforms (Unity) failed and not because of shitty software but because people don't want a one size fits all operating system and the fact that Canonical got into the cell phone market too late.
One would think Microsucks would have looked at that and figured it out but once again Microsuck's metrics for measuring their popularity is enormously skewed........
Unity was not customizable and the users were not taken with this fact and the look. Anyway, Ubuntu was the draft for Windows 10 in terms of "telemetry" collection.

Unity was not customizable and the users were not taken with this fact and the look. Anyway, Ubuntu was the draft for Windows 10 in terms of "telemetry" collection.
Sure it was........ That's why Microsucks allowed users to opt out...... :lol:

Canonical didn´t offer opt-outs in the first place.
At least, MS keeps their "telemetry" data for themselves to have fun with:
Ensuring secrecy orders are the exception not the rule when the government seeks data owned by our customers - Microsoft on the Issues

Ensuring secrecy orders are the exception not the rule when the government seeks data owned by our customers - Microsoft on the Issues

If you say so...... :rolleyes:

They not even refused to offer opt-outs, they didn´t even notify the user.

Wasn't using it back then so all I have is hearsay.........

You can inform yourself. I wouldn´t use Ubuntu, you pay with your privacy.

Ubuntu Spyware: What to do? — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software

Ubuntu Spyware: What to do? — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software
You are familiar with Richard Stallman, right? Of course you're not otherwise you'd have posted that link with a block of salt.

You are familiar with Richard Stallman, right? Of course you're not otherwise you'd have posted that link with a block of salt.
So what is wrong about the article?

It's highly biased. Richard Stallman like Linus Torvalds is not partial towards Canonical or Ubuntu, neither one like proprietary software and think all Linux should be free and opensource. That's where Stallman's "objection" originates from, the proprietary software (drivers, codecs, etc).
Hence I take him with a block of salt........, a large block of salt.

It's highly biased. Richard Stallman like Linus Torvalds is not partial towards Canonical or Ubuntu, neither one like proprietary software and think all Linux should be free and opensource. That's where Stallman's "objection" originates from, the proprietary software (drivers, codecs, etc).
There are also other articles:
Privacy in Ubuntu 12.10: Amazon Ads and Data Leaks

Only the community´s has prompted Canonical to revise the software.

There are also other articles:
Privacy in Ubuntu 12.10: Amazon Ads and Data Leaks

Only the community´s has prompted Canonical to revise the software.
Again, if you say so however;
From your link,
"While some people find this convenient, others find it a violation of their privacy."

Again it's a matter of personal opinion, thanks to the purists there was a backlash that Canonical was forced to address. Notice at no time did I claim Canonical wasn't allowing data to be captured......... What I was addressing is your unsubstantiated claim that Microsucks borrowed it from Canonical, I'm quite sure Microsucks was already working on it at the time. Remember Microsucks had already started it to a small degree in Win 7 which was released a year before Ubuntu Unity.