Ubuntu Budgie

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
No, it's not a parakeet that uses Ubuntu Linux, it's a fairly new addition to the Ubuntu family of flavors that has seen some phenomenal growth in number of users. Mainly because they truly do listen to the users and try to give them what they want. It looks very elegant and VERY user friendly.
Now when "flavors" are discussed in terms of say Ubuntu, Linux Mint or Fedora what they're primarily talking about is different user interfaces, how the user interacts with their computer as well as how much of your computer resources each flavor uses.
Here's a short video on the different flavors specifically of Ubuntu. It's the best I can find, the person who put it together has a fairly strong Asian Indian accent but is still understandable. No, he's not going to ask you if you want a straw with your Slurpee........

As for Budgie here's the latest release, 19.04. It's only supported for 9 months until the 20.04 LTS (Long Term Support Version) is released.

I tried Mint, I went back to Windows. Getting functionality in various apps was too difficult.

I tried Mint, I went back to Windows. Getting functionality in various apps was too difficult.
Okay. So? :dunno:

This is an info thread for those who might be interested. Heck I bounced back and forth between Linux distros and Windows since Vista, stuck with Windows through 7 and started seriously looking at Linux again after Win 8, super seriously after Win 10.
Doesn't mean I don't still use Windows, I do play games and Windows is still the game king.

Okay, tried out a live version of Budgie, so far I'm impressed. It was fast, surprisingly fast considering I was running off a thumb drive and not the hard drive on a AMD Phenom II x 3 core with 16GB DDR2 RAM.
The only real drawback for me is I prefer the Application Dashboard found in KDE versions over the old application launcher from Gnome 2, that would be "Start Menu" for you Windows users.

Here's the Application Dashboard in Kubuntu.

Budgie does have a Mac OS style Dash Panel that installs automatically so that's another application launcher solution.

Here's the standard application launcher in Budgie.

07%20Application%20Menu.jpg

Last edited:
After some extensive usage I find Budgie is a well put together Ubuntu flavor, it's fast, user friendly. modern, elegant, lightweight, supports Steam and is very customizable. For those who aren't all that happy with Ubuntu's primary Gnome 3 interface and are looking for something more beefy and much prettier than Lubuntu or Xubuntu budgie is the perfect choice.

Forum List

Back