Sons of Divorce, School Shooters

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
By W. Bradford Wilcox, December 16, 2013 12:06 PM

Another shooting, another son of divorce.

From Adam Lanza, who killed 26 children and adults a year ago at Sandy Hook School in Newtown, Conn., to Karl Pierson, who shot a teenage girl and killed himself this past Friday at Arapahoe High in Centennial, Colo., one common and largely unremarked thread tying together most of the school shooters that have struck the nation in the last year is that they came from homes marked by divorce or an absent father. From shootings at MIT (i.e., the Tsarnaev brothers) to the University of Central Florida to the Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy in Decatur, Ga., nearly every shooting over the last year in Wikipedia’s “list of U.S. school attacks” involved a young man whose parents divorced or never married in the first place.

Is the Women's Lib movement reaping terrible rewards? Have we raised generations of people who simply cannot deal with the responsibilities of traditional marriage? Are men no longer capable of being strong father figures? Or have girls been taught that they don't need a man to help raise their children?

I personally note that, while the media focuses on video games and their harmful affects on the shooters, they ignore this simple fact of them not having a positive father figure in their lives.

From Adam Lanza, who killed 26 children and adults a year ago at Sandy Hook School in Newtown, Conn., to Karl Pierson, who shot a teenage girl and killed himself this past Friday at Arapahoe High in Centennial, Colo., one common and largely unremarked thread tying together most of the school shooters that have struck the nation in the last year is that they came from homes marked by divorce or an absent father. From shootings at MIT (i.e., the Tsarnaev brothers) to the University of Central Florida to the Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy in Decatur, Ga., nearly every shooting over the last year in Wikipedia’s “list of U.S. school attacks” involved a young man whose parents divorced or never married in the first place.

Is the Women's Lib movement reaping terrible rewards? Have we raised generations of people who simply cannot deal with the responsibilities of traditional marriage? Are men no longer capable of being strong father figures? Or have girls been taught that they don't need a man to help raise their children?

I personally note that, while the media focuses on video games and their harmful affects on the shooters, they ignore this simple fact of them not having a positive father figure in their lives.

Other countries have video games and aren't nearly as squeamish about what they allow content-wise. The difference and only reason we have so many shootings is our avilability of guns. Everyone else either flatout forbids civilian ownership, or makes it very difficult to get a license.

That said, I don't supportany new gun bans or restrictions. Toothpaste is out of the tube, genie's out of the bottle. Only way to curb gun violence is to change American behaviours.

Research worth reading addressing violence includes:

Brain Pleasure Systems Inhibit Brain Violence Systems | Touch The Future!

When our brains experience pleasure, they're literally unable to feel aggression. And vice-versa. In short, if having sex, you're not able to think about that guy you hate and wanna kill. So since we have such easy access to guns, we need to help people get laid. :) Not what the report says, I'm just translating. :)

Last edited:
The solution to the problem would seem simple enough.

If the problem is proven real then upon finalization of divorce all the offspring of the former union must be killed. To prevent so much mayhem.

The article states "...they came from homes marked by divorce or an absent father". And yet you blame women's lib?

So the men can bail, but it is the woman's fault?

The article states "...they came from homes marked by divorce or an absent father". And yet you blame women's lib?

I blame a philosophy that indoctrinates women into believing that living with a man somehow belittles them.

I blame a philosophy that teaches women are better off by themselves or living with other women.

I blame a group of people who do everything then can to belittle family values.

Can that possibly be part of Women's Liberation? The movement to take men out of women's lives?

Yes, I have posted that many times here. That thread linking many teen shooters. Recent divorces...plus all the years of strife kids have to endure leading up to the final divorce. Kids don't play outside anymore, to work off their hostilities and anxieties, but they do play violent video games and to the unformed mind, the combination can be dangerous and deadly to the innocent people in gun-free zones.

I blame a philosophy that indoctrinates women into believing that living with a man somehow belittles them.

I blame a philosophy that teaches women are better off by themselves or living with other women.

I blame a group of people who do everything then can to belittle family values.

Can that possibly be part of Women's Liberation? The movement to take men out of women's lives?

Sounds more like you are bitter. You know what they say about correlation and all that jazz right? Divorce could be a factor but no knows for sure. Womens lib? Now that is a stretch that could pull a muscle.

The article in the OP appears to refer to recent shootings, but I think if we look back over time, there have been an equal number of school shooters who came from intact families. Kids who deal with divorce can be troubled, but there is no direct correlation to divorce and school shootings. I think there is more likelihood that violence in movies, television, and video games affects young people, possibly making them want to act out anger and teenage angst in a violent way, possibly causing them to not have a true depth of understanding about the permanance of death or the value of human life. And then, if it is easy for them to get their hands on the type of weapon that makes it possible to carry out a school shooting..... Women's lib is not the problem. Women's lib is just as strong in other developed Western countries, and we do not see these school shootings like we do in America.

I think the biggest thing that has attributed to people shooting other people is the way we have moved away from face to face communication and gone to media (mass and personal) for our social contacts.

If the people on the screen are not "real people" that should be respected, why would they treat actual human beings any differently?

Forum List

Back