SOMEX--What is it and why You Should be Afraid

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
SOMEX---the FBI's social media monitoring program. If you have doubts or concerns about the pervasiveness of FBI monitoring of the internet for possible bad actors,,this should be of interest.

The FBI has a little-known effort known as Social Media Exploitation, or SOMEX, that allows agents to monitor Americans’ social media posts for threats of violence and other law enforcement purposes, with virtually no oversight and no requirement to show a prior threat.
That’s the main finding of a USA TODAY investigation published this week. My colleague Tami Abdollah and I outline the FBI’s SOMEX efforts and consider how the FBI’s history of bias might impact this new era in domestic surveillance. We also drill into why bureau officials told Congress they didn’t have the “authority” to do something they’ve actually been doing for years.

The FBI’s years-long effort to monitor Americans’ social media posts is detailed in an extensive USA TODAY investigation published yesterday. Despite assurances from top FBI officials that the bureau only has limited authority to monitor social media posts, an examination of that authority shows it is actually almost unlimited, and subject to very little oversight.

• The FBI’s SOMEX efforts include receiving tips from the public, other law enforcement agencies and contractors who scour social media looking for threats to the public or the government.
  • This might seem obvious. After all, public posts are public. Yet top FBI officials have played down the bureau’s ability to keep tabs on social media postings — even public ones — repeatedly telling Congress they don’t have ability to monitor without an “authorized purpose.”
  • When did they say this? When Congress asked them why they hadn’t noticed social posts than planned the Jan. 6 insurrection.
  • It turns out the phrase “authorized purpose” is extraordinarily broad, and allows agents to search and monitor social media posts for intelligence and law enforcement reasons without having seen a prior threat or getting authorization from their supervisors.
  • So what has changed? The number of threats against the FBI itself. Those have soared in the weeks since agents searched Trump’s Florida home and club Mar-a-Lago. The arrest of one man making those threats initially came from a tip to the FBI’s SOMEX team. It turns out the FBI is watching social media for threats, at least in this case, a threat directed at them.

WHAT WE DON’T YET KNOW: Just how many people – and how many posts, from how many different web sites and social platforms – federal agents and contractors may have seen, or preserved.

SOMEX---the FBI's social media monitoring program. If you have doubts or concerns about the pervasiveness of FBI monitoring of the internet for possible bad actors,,this should be of interest.

The FBI has a little-known effort known as Social Media Exploitation, or SOMEX, that allows agents to monitor Americans’ social media posts for threats of violence and other law enforcement purposes, with virtually no oversight and no requirement to show a prior threat.
That’s the main finding of a USA TODAY investigation published this week. My colleague Tami Abdollah and I outline the FBI’s SOMEX efforts and consider how the FBI’s history of bias might impact this new era in domestic surveillance. We also drill into why bureau officials told Congress they didn’t have the “authority” to do something they’ve actually been doing for years.

The FBI’s years-long effort to monitor Americans’ social media posts is detailed in an extensive USA TODAY investigation published yesterday. Despite assurances from top FBI officials that the bureau only has limited authority to monitor social media posts, an examination of that authority shows it is actually almost unlimited, and subject to very little oversight.

• The FBI’s SOMEX efforts include receiving tips from the public, other law enforcement agencies and contractors who scour social media looking for threats to the public or the government.
  • This might seem obvious. After all, public posts are public. Yet top FBI officials have played down the bureau’s ability to keep tabs on social media postings — even public ones — repeatedly telling Congress they don’t have ability to monitor without an “authorized purpose.”
  • When did they say this? When Congress asked them why they hadn’t noticed social posts than planned the Jan. 6 insurrection.
  • It turns out the phrase “authorized purpose” is extraordinarily broad, and allows agents to search and monitor social media posts for intelligence and law enforcement reasons without having seen a prior threat or getting authorization from their supervisors.
  • So what has changed? The number of threats against the FBI itself. Those have soared in the weeks since agents searched Trump’s Florida home and club Mar-a-Lago. The arrest of one man making those threats initially came from a tip to the FBI’s SOMEX team. It turns out the FBI is watching social media for threats, at least in this case, a threat directed at them.

WHAT WE DON’T YET KNOW: Just how many people – and how many posts, from how many different web sites and social platforms – federal agents and contractors may have seen, or preserved.

So they have computers scanning posts to see if anybody is threatening to kill somebody. BFD. don't post threatening crap and the pooter skips right over you.

But wait! Didn't Trump supporters blame the government for not adequately preparing for the Jan 6th riot given the pervasive threats of violence expressed on social media?

Seems you guys want it both ways. Don't monitor social media. Also, don't fail to respond to threats expressed on social media.

FFS

But wait! Didn't Trump supporters blame the government for not adequately preparing for the Jan 6th riot given the pervasive threats of violence expressed on social media?

Seems you guys want it both ways. Don't monitor social media. Also, don't fail to respond to threats expressed on social media.

FFS
LOL! Pretty sure I wouldn't be mistaken for a Trump supporter--so I dunno about 'you guys'. I DO want social media monitored for bad actors and unhinged idiots--I do not want it turned into a tool for managing the masses or sussing out political opposition.

Thus, I would want transparency..something the FBI is historically against.

LOL! Pretty sure I wouldn't be mistaken for a Trump supporter--so I dunno about 'you guys'. I DO want social media monitored for bad actors and unhinged idiots--I do not want it turned into a tool for managing the masses or sussing out political opposition.

I'll vouch for your not being a Trump supporter.

You have always struck me as being on the left, but not mindlessly partisan like almost all of the others.

I'll vouch for your not being a Trump supporter.

You have always struck me as being on the left, but not mindlessly partisan like almost all of the others.
Close enough...I'm more issue driven than anything..and a believer in compromise. 20 years ago you would have called me Centrist..but the goalposts have moved quite a bit since then.

It’s like saying you want a rocket that can out satellites in orbit to monitor weather but don’t want ones that can launch nuclear weapons.

It doesn’t work that way.

You ARE behind in the news!!!

This was publicized in the 90's. I don't think they called it SOMEX, but it was stated that the FBI was indeed monitoring the internet AND cell phones for "certain words" that would be earmarked so the feds could "investigate" if they so chose to.

The FBI has proven itself to be *corrupt*

They put soccer mom's on their lists of terrorists. They're corrupt.

You ARE behind in the news!!!

This was publicized in the 90's. I don't think they called it SOMEX, but it was stated that the FBI was indeed monitoring the internet AND cell phones for "certain words" that would be earmarked so the feds could "investigate" if they so chose to.
Carnivore and Echelon. SOMEX is specifically social media

I do not want it turned into a tool for managing the masses or sussing out political opposition.
Sorry, dude, that ship sailed long ago. Social media has been monitored since day one--by the complicit tech companies. Google, Meta/FB etc. Haven't you ever heard that "Once something is on the internet, it never goes away?"

So they have computers scanning posts to see if anybody is threatening to kill somebody. BFD. don't post threatening crap and the pooter skips right over you.
Except 'threat' can mean a lot of things. Nor does this monitoring exclude unrelated data collection, which could be used in the future as 'threats' change. These are the same dirtbags that consider parents at school board meetings a 'threat'. Accepting more overreach because it looks benign only emboldens Big Brother.

it looks benign only emboldens Big Brother.
I agree, however, this invasion has been going on since social media has been in existence. If one would read the terms of use of these platforms, they would discover that there is no expectation of privacy and the platform has been using and spreading this info freely--including notifications to government agencies.

Forum List

Back