SOmeone Tell the Air Force this is same as doing nothing

respect for the chain of command builds confidence. it creates a cohesive unit, like a marriage

there's nothing friendly about "friendly fire".

if rigging wasnt rigged correctly, people died.

if they didnt eat correctly, people died

if they didnt drink correctly, people died

"when i first enlisted, i wanted to see the world and feed my adventurous spirit with boys, guns, and things that go BOOM! I was full of piss and vinegar. i thought i was immortal" - Pete Buttigieg

Join the Army. Go new places, meet new people and Kill them. Up close and personal. I like the USAF method where you don't have to see the faces. Well, most of the time anyway.

The General sent all four branches to take 4 different hills.

The Army stormed it with heavy losses but occupied the hill. The General pleased.

The Navy left theirs pocked marked with craters from all sorts of neat weapons. The Admiral was pleased.

The Air Force bombed it until it was a smooth level parking lot. The General was pleased. He had a place to park his Merceds.

The Marines sent on single Rifleman to the confusion of the Generals. A day later, the Marine came back carrying the hill and asked where they wanted it.

If the Chinese launch Missiles, it won’t be a handful to cripple bases, it will be a massive overwhelming attack to destroy every target they can. The principle of dispersed aircraft is one that was used before December 7th, and was planned for through the entire Cold War. It is one of the reasons the Harrier was so valuable. It could land on any hunk of roadway and hide under the trees to be serviced before heading out again.

In case the missiles are flying over the horizon, it won’t matter where the Airplanes are parked. Nobody will be left to fly them. Our own Missiles will be headed out, and anyone who is left when it is all over will probably die from Radiation Poisoning in a few days. Especially when the second strike Submarines launch their missiles to make the rubble dance A few days after the first strike.

Now anything short of Nuclear will give us time to disperse aircraft, and personnel, and supplies. But don’t worry about the Nukes. They are not a one and done deal. You fire every single one you have. Because if you just fire one, the enemy is responding with everything they have. And you’ll fire the rest of your shortly.

Nucleophobia detected. I'm not going to say, that the big war is a very simple and easy thing, but it is obviously not a "total annihilation".

Nucleophobia detected. I'm not going to say, that the big war is a very simple and easy thing, but it is obviously not a "total annihilation".

You finally said something worth reading. No it won't but life as we know it will have ended.
Sure. The "usual life" as people knew it, usually ends. It is normal. Will be our life better or worse - mostly depends on our solutions, our intellectual, physical and moral capabilities.
I believe, that we can win and change our life to better.

You finally said something worth reading. No it won't but life as we know it will have ended.
Sure. The "usual life" as people knew it, usually ends. It is normal. Will be our life better or worse - mostly depends on our solutions, our intellectual, physical and moral capabilities.

After almost a decade working inside of SAC, I have only one thought about Nuclear War and the aftermath. Let me draw a big red X so they can center a direct nuclear strike right on me.

After almost a decade working inside of SAC, I have only one thought about Nuclear War and the aftermath. Let me draw a big red X so they can center a direct nuclear strike right on me.
Oh, yes. It is a pretty good reason why we need to finish CTBT and restart a program of the military exercises with the real nuclear weapon usage. Looks like it's the only way to clean our forces from nucleophobic cowards. A boy, who have irrational fears about his rifle can't be a soldier. Staff with irrational fears about nuclear weapon should not serve in SAC (or anywhere else).
Or, may be, you, leftists, can't even imagine a life without your Russian masters?

Last edited:

Oh, yes. It is a pretty good reason why we need to finish CTBT and restart a program of the military exercises with the real nuclear weapon usage. Looks like it's the only way to clean our forces from nucleophobic cowards. A boy, who have irrational fears about his rifle can't be a soldier. Staff with irrational fears about nuclear weapon should not serve in SAC (or anywhere else).
Or, may be, you, leftists, can't even imagine a life without your Russian masters?

This leftist served for almost 8 years with SAC. And anyone not fearful of Nukes is a fool and shouldn't be anywhere near the control or support of those weapons. I remember in the 70s when there was a panel of Military and Civilians from both sides in a televise conference. Both sides of the Civilians kept doing what you are doing and constantly waving those sabers. Meanwhile, both sides from the Military were trying to keep the Politicos from getting too worked up. There is a reason the Military has last say in Nuclear War. There are many reasons we were trained like we were. But, if push comes to shove, we would do our Duty regardless of our personal feelings. And I suspect the Russians would do the same. Sleep well, we are on Guard.

1586995129146.jpeg

I spent some time at Bitburg AB and not one single F-15 was parked out in the open. All of them were parked in Revetments. So you take out the Runway. A F-15 will use the taxiways to take off just as well. And it's tough enough to land in the cut grass almost anywhere on the base including the Golf Course. The F-16 does as well.

Your lack of operational knowledge shows big time.

Actually, that is not the way it is really done anymore. The US showed why it was a bad idea in 1990-1991.

After Iraq invaded Kuwait, they took over the large airbase that had just been built. And the Kuwaiti Government had just spent millions of dollars to a French construction company to build huge "bombproof" bunkers for all of their fighters. The Iraqi Air Force was very grateful, and quickly put all of their aircraft into those bunkers.

And the footage of the US response is legendary. Each and every one of them was later destroyed by 1 (and in a few cases 2) "bunker buster" PGMs. I still remember the first time I landed there in 2009, and was stunned at the destruction.

Row after row of bunkers, all destroyed. And almost 2 decades later used for storage, maintenance, and vehicle parking.

37848030.jpg

Today, what is done is more like what was done in WWII. Huge underground garages, camouflaged so they can not be seen from the air, in a honeycomb structure inside and multiple places for egress. At most even a "bunker buster" might take out 1 or 2 aircraft, or shut down one of the openings. But the rest will still be operational and protected.

Dispersal is also a legitimate solution. By increasing the number of locations an enemy must strike, you decrease the effectiveness of each attack. Be it missiles, aircraft, or ground assault it all works the same. If you have 25 Land Attack missiles and all the resources of the enemy are in one area, you just plaster that area. If it is spread out between 5 bases, now you can only target 5 missiles per base. 10 bases, no more than 2-3 missiles per base. 25 bases, then 1 missile per base (or they ignore some and concentrate on others, ensuring that at least some of your resources survive).

I am finding it funny that so many in here have apparently forgotten the lessons of the Vietnam War. This was a key strategy of the Viet Cong and NVA forces. They almost never amassed into groups of larger than Company size when in South Vietnam, they were always scattered and spread out. They only amassed into larger units immediately prior to an attack. This was done precisely to protect them from US attacks and bombing raids. At most a Regiment might loose a company or two, not the entire command.

This leftist served for almost 8 years with SAC. And anyone not fearful of Nukes is a fool and shouldn't be anywhere near the control or support of those weapons. I remember in the 70s when there was a panel of Military and Civilians from both sides in a televise conference. Both sides of the Civilians kept doing what you are doing and constantly waving those sabers. Meanwhile, both sides from the Military were trying to keep the Politicos from getting too worked up. There is a reason the Military has last say in Nuclear War. There are many reasons we were trained like we were. But, if push comes to shove, we would do our Duty regardless of our personal feelings. And I suspect the Russians would do the same. Sleep well, we are on Guard.

It must always be remembered that nuclear weapons are not "Military Weapons", they are political weapons. Not one commander of any military organization goes "Well, before we attack let's drop a nuke right there, then go around the crater".

No, they are the tools of leaders and politicians. Now granted, that is the philosophy from the 1970's, but we are talking about the current world, not the era of "Bomb A Day LeMay". By the 1980's, the military was pretty much disgusted with them, but had no choice but to be the operators and maintainers because that was a job assigned to us.

I worked with nukes in the 1980s, and I know others that did as well in other areas. And we all absolutely hated the damned things. And other than for a period in the 1980's when some floated the idea of a "limited nuclear exchange", we all knew that once these things started dropping, we could all just forget everything and look forward to living the rest of our lives in an R.E.M. song.

According to Defense News, Air Force units will now head to the hills at the first sign of war, dispersing from their massive bases to local airports, isolated airstrips, any place that can support airplanes. The idea is to use those large bases not to concentrate air power but as a hub to feed dispersed air power, maintaining a steady flow of fuel, ammunition, and food to small detachments of fighters and other warplanes hiding at airfields adversaries may not even know about. U.S. Air Force Air Bases | Why Big Air Bases Are a Big Liability
The first sign of war will be these giant Airbases all burning at once. Speed of missiles these days fired from subs this must have Chinese laughing their ass off
So they are smart enough to know that in a real war our enemy will bomb the shit out of main bases, so they have contingency plans to use other air fields so they can still stay operational.

Sounds like a smart move to me.

According to Defense News, Air Force units will now head to the hills at the first sign of war, dispersing from their massive bases to local airports, isolated airstrips, any place that can support airplanes. The idea is to use those large bases not to concentrate air power but as a hub to feed dispersed air power, maintaining a steady flow of fuel, ammunition, and food to small detachments of fighters and other warplanes hiding at airfields adversaries may not even know about. U.S. Air Force Air Bases | Why Big Air Bases Are a Big Liability
The first sign of war will be these giant Airbases all burning at once. Speed of missiles these days fired from subs this must have Chinese laughing their ass off
So they are smart enough to know that in a real war our enemy will bomb the shit out of main bases, so they have contingency plans to use other air fields so they can still stay operational.

Only prob is their first warning a war is starting is their airbase and planes burning

Only prob is their first warning a war is starting is their airbase and planes burning

Because you say so.....

riiiiiight......
:cuckoo:

Because you say so.....

riiiiiight......
Yeah that Pearl Harbor thing never happened ….and then got repeated in the Philippines.....

Because you say so.....

riiiiiight......
Yeah that Pearl Harbor thing never happened ….and then got repeated in the Philippines.....
Yea, before the Air Force was even created.

Because you say so.....

riiiiiight......
Yea, before the Air Force was even created.
OMG...…… both places were packed with planes,,,,,wtf…....the time to disperse is before the attack...….. I'm told we have this great plane that doesn't require a runway yet we dont make use of its ability to disperse before the fact

Both sides have at lest 48 hours before any nuclear attack can happen. Both sides had done this to prevent accidental Nuclear War and give the Civilians time to negotiate a way out of it. The second the actions start, the other side will know it and start it's own actions. The Movie Fail Safe changed a lot of thinking.

Both sides have at lest 48 hours before any nuclear attack can happen. Both sides had done this to prevent accidental Nuclear War and give the Civilians time to negotiate a way out of it. The second the actions start, the other side will know it and start it's own actions. The Movie Fail Safe changed a lot of thinking.
Once more dumbass we aren't talking a nuke attack...….

Forum List

Back