Solar panels failing after 2 years!

This is a stupid thread that talks about a shitty manufacturer to attack all solar.
Unlike your threads, which is a new thread for each individual installation of a Solar Panel. Of course you link to the Lobbying Groups of the Solar Industry so your individual announcements are unbiased.

Yes, according to Matthew these Solar Panels last 80-100 years, require zero maintenance, they do not even require to be washed, because unlike everything else in our lives, the are Clean and Green and completely Free, forever.

Matthew, you may not of got it yet, but all my threads here, are a response to your close minded, narrow posts from the Heavy Solar and Wind Turbines Heavy Industry lobbyist.

In another blow to "Renewable" Energy, Solar Panels are failing after 2 years of use. Everything we are told about Solar Power being Clean, Green, Renewable, that lasts forever is a lie.

I must thank Matthew, ClosedCaption, and Old Crock for requesting this thread. Here you go "boys", read it and weep.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/b...lar-powers-dark-side.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

LOS ANGELES — The solar panels covering a vast warehouse roof in the sun-soaked Inland Empire region east of Los Angeles were only two years into their expected 25-year life span when they began to fail.

Coatings that protect the panels disintegrated while other defects caused two fires that took the system offline for two years, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenues.

PANEL-articleLarge.jpg
Is this your only example? Sounds like defective work like it says in the article. I know a guy that has solar panels that are 20 years old and they still work just fine.

I am speaking of Industrial Scale Solar Panels, not the low use, simple Solar panels a house uses. I see I did not make that clear.

But it is not my only example, there are thousands and when I have time I will post more examples.
Even if you do then you are only citing examples of a normal business cycle. This is a relatively new market niche. There are always unscrupulous people that flood the market with cheap, poorly made systems or service. Once it levels out then you will see less and less of these stories.
New? In 1767 a Swiss Scientist was credited with building a Solar Collector.

Solar Power is older than the Oil industry.
The technology may be older but the industry is relatively new. About 10 years ago I was offered a chance to go into the industry so I learned a lot about it.

Even if you do then you are only citing examples of a normal business cycle. This is a relatively new market niche. There are always unscrupulous people that flood the market with cheap, poorly made systems or service. Once it levels out then you will see less and less of these stories.
New, in 1767 Swiss Scientist Horace de Saussure was credited with building the world’s first solar collector, later used by Sir John Herschel to cook food during his South Africa expedition in the 1830s.

Of course Solar goes back even further, centuries, sounds like a great idea for my next thread, thanks for the idea.

Well, when you go with the lowest bidder, without looking at the past record of that bidder, this is what you get. Will it affect the manufactures of defective panels? Yes. Will it affect those with a good record? No. Just shake out the less reputable manufacturors. Happens with every new product.
Link, asshole, Link!

Solar Panels on Tampa Courthouse Fail to Meet Promises

Great article showing they will never recover the costs.

Seems your link is Media Trackers which is a conservative (pro big business) site.

Why no pictures of the panels?

Why no answer to the question; Why aren't the panels delivering as promised?

Why no information of nearby solar on what they are providing? Is it a location issue?

FYI: I own a new condo on South Beach. The building has solar to provide 80% of the common power which what it does.

Lots of why's in your 'great article.'

There were a couple of green homes near Withrow Park inToronto. They were built in the 1980's and their solar collectors have never been replaced. Their annual energy bill for heat, electricity and water is less than $100.

I love how Electra, who claims to work for nuclear power stations, never posts any technical explanations for her posts and relies on the weakest stories to trash green energy.

Posting stories about defective products is not an indictment of an entire industry. You need to find flaws with the basic science of solar collectors or wind turbines to prove they're a bad idea.

There were a couple of green homes near Withrow Park inToronto. They were built in the 1980's and their solar collectors have never been replaced. Their annual energy bill for heat, electricity and water is less than $100.

I love how Electra, who claims to work for nuclear power stations, never posts any technical explanations for her posts and relies on the weakest stories to trash green energy.

Posting stories about defective products is not an indictment of an entire industry. You need to find flaws with the basic science of solar collectors or wind turbines to prove they're a bad idea.
epri analysis.jpg

Attachments

• thermodynamics.jpg
    thermodynamics.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 117
Photovoltaic Reliability and Failure Analysis: Enduring a ...http://www.ewh.ieee.org/r6/scv/eds/slides/2011-Feb-Alers-PV.pdf

Federally funded solar energy project falls short of projected savings - Story abcactionnews.com Tampa Bay News Weather Sports Things To Do WFTS-TV

Solar equipment failures spark demand for defective building material coverage Business Insurance

This industry article shows failure rates are climbing.
Solar Panels on Tampa Courthouse Fail to Meet Promises

Great article showing they will never recover the costs.

Seems your link is Media Trackers which is a conservative (pro big business) site.

Why no pictures of the panels?

Why no answer to the question; Why aren't the panels delivering as promised?

Why no information of nearby solar on what they are providing? Is it a location issue?

FYI: I own a new condo on South Beach. The building has solar to provide 80% of the common power which what it does.

Lots of why's in your 'great article.'

We have read the original post. It said that poorly made, defective solar panels are failing. Note the word "defective".

Solar energy has been used successfully for years. If you're going to go with the cheapest panels you can buy, or buy from countries like China which is notorious for cutting corners and using less than quality materials, you shouldn't be surprised by this.

But to suggest that solar isn't a viable form of energy based on low quality collectors indicates a level of ignorance about how energy works that is astonishing. Especially from someone who purports to work in the energy business.

We have read the original post. It said that poorly made, defective solar panels are failing. Note the word "defective".

Solar energy has been used successfully for years. If you're going to go with the cheapest panels you can buy, or buy from countries like China which is notorious for cutting corners and using less than quality materials, you shouldn't be surprised by this.

But to suggest that solar isn't a viable form of energy based on low quality collectors indicates a level of ignorance about how energy works that is astonishing. Especially from someone who purports to work in the energy business.
Get over yourself, what proof do you have that solar is a "viable" form of providing us with electricity. It is just your belief, nothing more.

This is just one thread I have started, which does not include all the problems, but the basic proof is cost and size. Size equals the increase in consumption of fossil fuels. Cost also equals increase in the use of fossil fuels.

The lies and denial on the side of those who support Solar is astonishing, when confronted with failing panels the excuse is they were made in China, yet the supporters will praise the low cost of Chinese made panels as being competitive with Fossil Fuels? e

Yes, just one thread here.

Solar power failed in Greece, Germany, Spain, and Australia, as my other threads have stated in which not one person has yet to prove otherwise.

2015 Worldwide Solar Demand to Grow 16.5%, Emerging Markets Growth to Surpass 40%

2015 Worldwide Solar Demand to Grow 16.5 Emerging Markets Growth to Surpass 40 EnergyTrend PV

The worldwide solar market demand in 2014 was approximately at 44GW, even though the China market did not perform as well as expectations, due to the continuous growth in Japan and the U.S. market, the supply and demand remained stable. At the end of 2014, the overall supply chain maintained a solid utilization rate, while China’s tier-one module manufacturers also continued to break shipment records. Jason Huang, Research Manager at EnergyTrend, a research division of TrendForce, indicates that the 2015 worldwide solar demand is projected at 51.4GW, with the key markets remaining in China, United States, and Japan, taking up 57% of the overall share, yet it is slightly lower than that of 2014. The rise of the emerging markets (the solar installation countries that are out of top 10) has begun to appear starting the second half of 2014. In 2015, the growth momentum of the emerging markets will become more apparent, and the overall demand will surpass 10GW.

Don't we all wish we had bank accounts with that kind of growth rates. Pretty good for a failing industry.

In another blow to "Renewable" Energy, Solar Panels are failing after 2 years of use. Everything we are told about Solar Power being Clean, Green, Renewable, that lasts forever is a lie.

I must thank Matthew, ClosedCaption, and Old Crock for requesting this thread. Here you go "boys", read it and weep.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/b...lar-powers-dark-side.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

LOS ANGELES — The solar panels covering a vast warehouse roof in the sun-soaked Inland Empire region east of Los Angeles were only two years into their expected 25-year life span when they began to fail.

Coatings that protect the panels disintegrated while other defects caused two fires that took the system offline for two years, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenues.

PANEL-articleLarge.jpg

2 year old article- and what is the cause for the failure according to the article?

“We need to face up to the fact that corners are being cut,” said Conrad Burke, general manager for DuPont’s billion-dollar photovoltaic division, which supplies materials to solar manufacturers.

The solar developer Dissigno has had significant solar panel failures at several of its projects, according to Dave Williams, chief executive of the San Francisco-based company.

“I don’t want to be alarmist, but I think quality poses a long-term threat,” he said. “The quality across the board is harder to put your finger on now as materials in modules are changing every day and manufacturers are reluctant to share that information.”

Nothing about the technology itself being bad in the article.

Solar Panels are good for home values though

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/realestate/solar-panels-and-home-values.html?_r=0

New research sponsored by theDepartment of Energyshows that buyers are willing to pay more for homes with rooftop solar panels — a finding that may strengthen the case for factoring the value of sustainable features into home appraisals.

Forum List

Back