Zone1 Social Security Scam

Are you in drugs?
The disability entitlements are literally handled by the same department, same people, same building and paid from the same funds.
If you want to say they are not the same - then you are just wanting to run in circles.

That's normal for the midshipman.

Are you willing to take your parents in? Grandparents also?
The vast majority of Americans have a negative savings rate. They spend more than they make.
They refinance their homes, take out 2nd mortgages, credit cards, store cards, signature loans etc. etc.
Without SS... the majority of plus 40 Americans would be bankrupt and forced to sell their homes now or in the future.
Americans are ABYSMALLY unprepared for retirement.

My parents planned for retirement. (Indeed: they are retired.) Of my grandparents, exactly ONE collected Social Security. I expect she got maybe half what her husband paid in-he never saw a cent.

If you cannot support yourself in retirement, you have probably failed in life.

If you cannot support yourself in retirement, you have probably failed in life.
Then, at minimum, 90% of Americans failed in life.
I am secured myself, having ran a business successfully to sale from 2005 - 2016.
Plus investments, but I am not like 90% of Americans.
I have no credit card debt that I don't pay off every month.
I have no car loans.
The only debt we have is the mortgage with 6 figures in equity.
I am fine. But I would not want to foot the bill for 20% of the population that would be in financial ruin.

That should take 5 minutes to teach.

What do we teach in high school that we should not?

Your comments about not using Algebra is a testament to your ignorance.
What percentage of people use algebra outside of an academic setting? Do you think that percentage is higher or lower than the percentage of people who need to know about budgets and basic accounting?

85% of HS students take Algebra, they spend an entire year learning something that will be of little to no use to the vast majority of them in their lives other than to take more math courses which will be of little to no value as well.

I am secured myself, having ran a business successfully to sale from 2005 - 2016.
I have no car loans.
I am fine. But I would not want to foot the bill for 20% of the population that would be in financial ruin.
That’s is in large part because people think SS is their retirement fund si they dont worry about it.

SS is a horrible system...until you retire. Then it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. :)
Only if you're bad at math. Like the lottery is gambling for people who are bad at math, Social Security is investing/retirement planning for the same.

That is wholly untrue. My 20 year old surviving kid doesn’t get any of my social security.
Wouldn't, not doesn't. You aren't dead yet.

If he was a legitimate dependent he would. Wives are usually the 'survivor'.

Last edited:
I have no car loans.
Bro! :up:

Last edited:
Only if you're bad at math. Like the lottery is gambling for people who are bad at math, Social Security is investing/retirement planning for the same.
SS has a pretty good record to stand on. Lotteries are wishful thinking or desperation.

Regarding math, the longer you collect the better SS is as an 'investment'. Unfortunately, they no longer provide information on how much you actually contributed to the system so figuring out 'return on investment' is impossible. I've collected for nearly 20 years so the return is likely pretty good. Those who die early, with no dependents or survivors take a bath, but this is baked into the system as well.

Last edited:
That’s is in large part because people think SS is their retirement fund si they dont worry about it.
No.
Americans, financially, live like children. For today. No thoughts of the future. Here and now is all they think about.
In the late 90s I worked at a large commercial web printing plant. We also did a lot of mailings for folks.
A company that owns several car lots in the area wanted to mail an advertisement to everyone who has filed bankruptcy.
We got the list and I was absolutely stunned. 1000s of people in a county of only 54,000 households. About 1 in every 25 or so households. I thought that can't be right. So I looked up bankruptcy data and sure enough 1 in 25 households was not out of the ordinary back then. (Much lower now)
This was my first clue about how much of a mirage the glorious 80s and 90s economic boon was.
I also remembered that I read an article in the WSJ about looming debt crises years ago. I remember the statistic that really caught my eye - 67% of consumer retail spending was on credit cards. This was around 2000.
Last year it was 28.2%. So the millenials are using credit cards about half what GenX did in the 90s-2000s.
People didn't save for retirement because they simply never thought about 1 month in the future, let alone decades.

No.
Americans, financially, live like children. For today. No thoughts of the future. Here and now is all they think about.
In the late 90s I worked at a large commercial web printing plant. We also did a lot of mailings for folks.
A company that owns several car lots in the area wanted to mail an advertisement to everyone who has filed bankruptcy.
We got the list and I was absolutely stunned. 1000s of people in a county of only 54,000 households. About 1 in every 25 or so households. I thought that can't be right. So I looked up bankruptcy data and sure enough 1 in 25 households was not out of the ordinary back then. (Much lower now)
This was my first clue about how much of a mirage the glorious 80s and 90s economic boon was.
I also remembered that I read an article in the WSJ about looming debt crises years ago. I remember the statistic that really caught my eye - 67% of consumer retail spending was on credit cards. This was around 2000.
Last year it was 28.2%. So the millenials are using credit cards about half what GenX did in the 90s-2000s.
People didn't save for retirement because they simply never thought about 1 month in the future, let alone decades.
So, lowest common denominator? Surely you see the self fulfilling prophecy here. People live like children because we have government eager to treat them like children. And the longer we maintain that kind of government, the more people will live like children.

I have no car loans.
Do you have an actual source for that, or did you pull it out of your sphincter?

Who want's to end SS?
Who? Too many in the Republican and Libertarian Party's. All of those on the far-right wing who post on this message board, those who claim that it is a Ponzi Schem and the private health care industries.

So, lowest common denominator? Surely you see the self fulfilling prophecy here. People live like children because we have government eager to treat them like children. And the longer we maintain that kind of government, the more people will live like children.
I won't disagree with that, all I am saying that people don't do this because of the government, they do it because they simply don't think about the future.
Case in point, and this guy I know very well, and have known for over 20 years - is a typical American.
I couldn't believe what he did back around 2005 or so... he came into the office talking about how much money he "saved" by consolidating his debt. And was attempting to tell other people about how much money they could save "Great Deal!!"
He took all of his credit card debts which was well over $10,000, several thousand he owed Lowes, a loan he had on his ATV four wheeler, and even took out some cash. And consolidated it with his home loan.
Now he had lived in that home for over 10 years.
So he had about 18-19 years left on the loan. That was now reset to 30 years again.
It took some time for me to convince him he made a huge mistake. He didn't save any money at all.
All of his equity was gone, and his debt INCREASED (obviously). He lost money.
But to him it was all about how much he paid a month. The here and now.
This is how typical Americans think.

I won't disagree with that, all I am saying that people don't do this because of the government, they do it because they simply don't think about the future.
They do it because they think they can get away with it. Because they think the government has their back.
Case in point, and this guy I know very well, and have known for over 20 years - is a typical American.
I couldn't believe what he did back around 2005 or so... he came into the office talking about how much money he "saved" by consolidating his debt. And was attempting to tell other people about how much money they could save "Great Deal!!"
He took all of his credit card debts which was well over $10,000, several thousand he owed Lowes, a loan he had on his ATV four wheeler, and even took out some cash. And consolidated it with his home loan.
Now he had lived in that home for over 10 years.
So he had about 18-19 years left on the loan. That was now reset to 30 years again.
It took some time for me to convince him he made a huge mistake. He didn't save any money at all.
All of his equity was gone, and his debt INCREASED (obviously). He lost money.
But to him it was all about how much he paid a month.
This is how typical Americans think.
Yes - but that is informed by the landscape, created by government, that tells them they're "taken care of". I speak from experience. My parents were all-too-typical, working class people who assumed that retirement meant Social Security. They never taught me any different. It wasn't until I was in my forties that I "found myself" and saw the writing on the wall. I've avoided debt, and I've been piling as much money into retirement accounts as I can manage, but I'm way behind. I have to think that, without the presumed security blanket (SS), people would raise their kids differently. Not everyone, of course, but people learn, and we'd be moving in the right direction, rather than descending in to mass state dependency.

No.
Caveat. Many if not most buy with credit cards, but not everyone carries a balance. I have never carried a balance and buy everything on my credit card.

Caveat. Many if not most buy with credit cards, but not everyone carries a balance. I have never carried a balance and buy everything on my credit card.
I do the same. I use a CC for all online purchases for the security benefits, but of course pay the balance before the end of the term.
Having said that, you would think then that credit card spending would be greater now than then.

Forum List

Back