Zone1 Social Security Scam

Are you in drugs?
The disability entitlements are literally handled by the same department, same people, same building and paid from the same funds.
If you want to say they are not the same - then you are just wanting to run in circles.
No, I am not "in drugs". Not everyone qualifies for SS disability, now do they?

I had 10 years I the state's retirement system, so I did not qualify for disability because I missed contributing to SS. I spent 4 years after I retired trying to get 5 years in order to qualify for SS disability. I didn't make it because of my illness forcing me to leave my job before I was eligible. Right now, and forever more, I am unable to collect disability because of my state's failure to participate in SS.

I use both my benefit and the data, which has SS paying out at current levels until 2034, when the Trust Fund surplus is gone. They have 12 years to fix it for the future.
OK. I oppose SS from an ideological standpoint. It's not a proper application of government. We need government to keep the peace and protect our rights - not to dictate our retirement plans (or healthcare, or whatever else some might want government to take over).

OK. I oppose SS from an ideological standpoint. It's not a proper application of government. We need government to keep the peace and protect our rights - not to dictate our retirement plans (or healthcare, or whatever else some might want government to take over).
Without these social programs America would quickly become a third-world country economically. Freedom from government would be a hollow victory.

Without these social programs America would quickly become a third-world country economically. Freedom from government would be a hollow victory.
I don't agree. Especially when I look at the people we're putting in charge of government. It's getting worse every cycle and, given that we seem poised for a dip into real fascism, I want them to have as little power over our lives as possible. It's going to get ugly.

I don't agree. Especially when I look at the people we're putting in charge of government. It's getting worse every cycle and, given that we seem poised for a dip into real fascism, I want them to have as little power over our lives as possible. It's going to get ugly.
Are you willing to take your parents in? Grandparents also?
The vast majority of Americans have a negative savings rate. They spend more than they make.
They refinance their homes, take out 2nd mortgages, credit cards, store cards, signature loans etc. etc.
Without SS... the majority of plus 40 Americans would be bankrupt and forced to sell their homes now or in the future.
Americans are ABYSMALLY unprepared for retirement.

Are you willing to take your parents in? Grandparents also?
The vast majority of Americans have a negative savings rate. They spend more than they make.
They refinance their homes, take out 2nd mortgages, credit cards, store cards, signature loans etc. etc.
Without SS... the majority of plus 40 Americans would be bankrupt and forced to sell their homes now or in the future.
Americans are ABYSMALLY unprepared for retirement.
Of course. They've been trained to be that way. Any responsible plan for eliminating SS would require not only a phase out period (so that people who have paid in all their lives get at least something out of it) but also a campaign by government to publicize the change to ensure that people are aware that their retirement will be their own responsibility going forward.

And to answer your initial question, yes - I'd be more than happy to help out family members depending on the circumstances. In part, that's what families are for.

Why teach something that would possibly change in a few years? My father retired in 1984 when I graduated from college. . There is nothing the same as when I retired this year.

He never heard of a 401K and never made more than $17000 a year working for GE.

I was in the military for many years. My daughter is now. Her retirement and mine are/were nowhere near alike.
Using that logic there's a bunch of shit we teach in HS that we shouldn't. At a minimum the principles that you have to save and invest for retirement wouldn't change. Just because the vehicle by which you might do that might change doesn't mean it isn't a life skill we should be imparting on young adults. It's certainly more valuable than more than half the crap we teach kids in HS. While subjects like Algebra might not change who give a shit, 95% of people will never use it in their lives outside the classroom.

The government certainly has more money to pump back into the economy.
I cant seem to find statistics on exactly how much SS has taken in vs how much it pays out. I wouldnt be surprised to find that over the years more revenue has come in than out.

Using that logic there's a bunch of shit we teach in HS that we shouldn't. At a minimum the principles that you have to save and invest for retirement wouldn't change. Just because the vehicle by which you might do that might change doesn't mean it isn't a life skill we should be imparting on young adults. It's certainly more valuable than more than half the crap we teach kids in HS. While subjects like Algebra might not change who give a shit, 95% of people will never use it in their lives outside the classroom.

That should take 5 minutes to teach.

What do we teach in high school that we should not?

Your comments about not using Algebra is a testament to your ignorance.

I cant seem to find statistics on exactly how much SS has taken in vs how much it pays out. I wouldnt be surprised to find that over the years more revenue has come in than out.
That's what has built the Trust Fund, revenues exceeding benefit payments due to strong employment numbers. So much that if not circulated would starve the money supply.

Forum List

Back