Soaring Bankruptcy Rates Signal A Coming Storm For Broke Elderly

Nope. Medical bills.

Medical bills that have nothing to do with insurance.
The fact is, IMO, it is a crime that so many elderly are receiving "extreme care"... that is, exorbitantly expensive medicines and procedures that either only keep them alive a few more weeks... or have little chance to improve their condition if at all.
As soon as anyone has an ageing relative that gets terminally ill.... you will see a side of the medical establishment that exist only to use these people as crops to harvest all of their savings.

Medical bills that Medicare does not cover. I should have been more descriptive I guess.

What do you mean by "extreme care"?

I mean unnecessary tests and treatments that do not, in any way, effect the outcome of their disease or improve their comfort. The best thing my father did was sign a DNR (do not resuscitate) when he was diagnosed with brain cancer. It is a must, otherwise the hospital will rack up $100,000's in charges to keep an unconscious patient "alive" wherein they have zero chance of survival.
All of us had to stay on top of what the hospital and nursing home was doing, running routine blood test and xrays on a patient that is literally days from dying. And they will do it without asking. This happens all the time. It is common to see a persons entire life savings disappear in the last few months of life.
both of my parents had DNRs. , my sibllings and I also created a trust and moved their money.

Good for them and good for your siblings.
it's what people who have to care for their elderly parents do to avoid bankruptcy because the government wants to take the old peoples money and redistribute to lazy assholes. There are options to avoid it. It cost my mother and father 6000 a month each to stay in a home. 6000 for a bed inside four walls.

Older Americans are filing for bankruptcy at more than double the rate of just 25 years ago, a sign of a "coming storm of broke elderly," a new study finds.

The rate of people 65 and over filing for bankruptcy grew nearly 204 percent from 1991 to 2016, a study published by the Social Science Research Network found, and the percentage of seniors among all U.S. bankruptcy filers increased by nearly five times over the same period.

Soaring bankruptcy rates signal a 'coming storm of broke elderly,' study finds

The gift of Ronald Reagan keeps on giving.

Well, they just need to die faster.

Next up: Obamacare will require people to start smoking a couple of packs a day once they hit 50 in order to kill off a large portion of the population once they are no longer tax serfs.

Older Americans are filing for bankruptcy at more than double the rate of just 25 years ago, a sign of a "coming storm of broke elderly," a new study finds.

The rate of people 65 and over filing for bankruptcy grew nearly 204 percent from 1991 to 2016, a study published by the Social Science Research Network found, and the percentage of seniors among all U.S. bankruptcy filers increased by nearly five times over the same period.

We thought Obama care solved that problem by covering pre existing conditions?

So more lies by the left???

Medicare doesn't ask about PEC's.
that was the argument for the ACA. correct?

property tax in blue states.

Nope. Medical bills.

The fact is, IMO, it is a crime that so many elderly are receiving "extreme care"... that is, exorbitantly expensive medicines and procedures that either only keep them alive a few more weeks... or have little chance to improve their condition if at all.
As soon as anyone has an ageing relative that gets terminally ill.... you will see a side of the medical establishment that exist only to use these people as crops to harvest all of their savings.

Medical bills that Medicare does not cover. I should have been more descriptive I guess.

I mean unnecessary tests and treatments that do not, in any way, effect the outcome of their disease or improve their comfort. The best thing my father did was sign a DNR (do not resuscitate) when he was diagnosed with brain cancer. It is a must, otherwise the hospital will rack up $100,000's in charges to keep an unconscious patient "alive" wherein they have zero chance of survival.
All of us had to stay on top of what the hospital and nursing home was doing, running routine blood test and xrays on a patient that is literally days from dying. And they will do it without asking. This happens all the time. It is common to see a persons entire life savings disappear in the last few months of life.
both of my parents had DNRs. , my sibllings and I also created a trust and moved their money.

We are trying like crazy to get Mom to move her assets and home ownership. You have 5 years before death to do it or lose it.

Nope. Medical bills.

We are trying like crazy to get Mom to move her assets and home ownership. You have 5 years before death to do it or lose it.
good luck

Next up: Obamacare will require people to start smoking a couple of packs a day once they hit 50 in order to kill off a large portion of the population once they are no longer tax serfs.

Wait, I thought that was a republican plan?

you thought wrong.

Actually, it's the Chinese plan. They smoke like chimneys in China.

you thought wrong.

But there was that thin when Paul Ryan tossed the old lady off a cliff.

I would do it if I could smoke weed instead of cigarettes.

You hit the nail on the head, we are a victim of our own success , people need to die before they hit 65 like in the the 1940s when social security was created .

you thought wrong.

But there was that thin when Paul Ryan tossed the old lady off a cliff.
:ack-1:

Ick. Pot is nasty shit.

You hit the nail on the head, we are a victim of our own success , people need to die before they hit 65 like in the the 1940s when social security was created .

my bride will be 70 in November, and she collected zero dollars for the last eight years. WTF?

While many Americans confront these risk shifts, they profoundly affect older people.
Simply because of their age, this group is less able to effectively respond to the shifting risks.
Unstable employment is particularly problematic for older people. When they lose jobs, it takes
them significantly longer to find new ones and when they do, they typically earn less than what
they earned before (Hardy 2011). Retirement is a particularly precarious time of life. Full Social
Security benefits now begin at 70, rather than 65 (Ellis, Munnell, and Eschtruth 2014)
. The
penalty for early retirement increased from 20-30 percent (Quadagno, Kail, and Shekha 2011).

Graying of U.S. Bankruptcy: Fallout from Life in a Risk Society by Deborah Thorne, Pamela Foohey, Robert M. Lawless, Katherine M. Porter :: SSRN

What a load of crap.

View attachment 214765

Benefits Planner: Retirement | If you were born between 1943 and 1954 | Social Security Administration

What is it you don't understand about Medicare?

Medicare has what to do with the incorrect info in that "study"?

Ick. Pot is nasty shit.

But funner then ciggi’s.

Ick. Pot is nasty shit.

But funner then ciggi’s.

I'd rather have a good glass of red wine.

You are making this way harder than it has to be. Just vote Bernie

imageedit_1959_2658680386.jpg

Yeah, the ACA has done massive damage to this country, good find

Saw nothing about the ACA in that article, it was about senior's on Medicare.
all part of the ACA. you should read up.

You're also a fucking idiot Medicare and ACA are not all the same.
well how could they be, one is called medicare and one ACA, however, the bill that was the ACA was to include medicare. again, you should read up on the ACA.
the bill that was the ACA was to include medicare.
WTF?
No. Not in any way, dope.

Forum List

Back