So, who is stocking their shelves?

BTW..never play darts with me. I always win. :auiqs.jpg:

Mom and dad owned a bar and I had full use of the dart board AND the pool tables. Don't play pool with me either.;)

Can't store fuel here. Against the rules. But I think sterno will be ok and a small camp stove. Just big enough to boil water or heat up a can of raviolis or something. Only thing that REALLY concerns me is if the water shuts off from earthquake or fire or whatever. No pump. Being on 6th floor. Then again, if there is a flood...all those below me will be up here in the nose bleed section, lol.

OMG! I don't know of anyone where I live that builds living spaces above the 3rd floor, unless they are condos for the rich. Most apartments are two or three floors, and no elevators, only stairs. I live on the second floor. I also live in an area that is secluded and not noticeable by all the mainstream traffic.

People here can have outside grills, but they have to use them out on the lawn or in the parking lot. Camping stoves are ok on the patios I think. Most people buy candles here though. I'm sure those battery operated induction burners will be popular soon.

I also have a fireplace. Guess I should buy a box of those long burning logs.

I just turned 69 and I can shoot the head off a fireplace long match with a 22 rifle. I'm also good with a bow and arrow.

I don't plan to shoot anyone, but I WILL protect me and mine..and my neighbors if need be. Most scumbags tend to avoid those who are armed even though they are armed as well. Tis best to harass the weak, the elderly and unarmed folks...less possible damage to their scummy selves.
I think I will get a 22 like the Ruger I shot, and put a laser sight on the rail. I'd damn sure rather blind someone than kill them.

Old ladies who can shoot! Hell yeah!

Last edited:
Handy thing to have in short term power down situation and great if you have a small generator for recharging.

I buy what I am able.
I work from paycheck to paycheck, and I have a lot of medical bills right now. So I buy what I'm able.
I have a box of canned food, instant food, and cereals.

I do get a bit of extra money the end of October. So I can buy some extra TP, tissues, and some more instant and canned foods.

Realistically, it's not food thats being halted, it's all that garbage from China. Most stores are warning they aren't getting the usual amount of Christmas crap for decorations and such this year. It's mainly just crap thats being deflected and sitting there, not anything regarding basic needs.

I would expect the worst of the hoarding from morons being in November and December, seeing as they are holiday months. IF it happens. But if everybody bought their normal usage quantities, nobody will go without. It's always the idiot hoarders that make things difficult for everybody.

There are a bunch of other supply issues too. Try getting spare parts for things that break down, even if those parts are made in the US. New car lots are sitting empty, and everything seems to be on backorder or "not available."

OMG! I don't know of anyone where I live that builds living spaces above the 3rd floor, unless they are condos for the rich. Most apartments are two or three floors, and no elevators, only stairs. I live on the second floor. I also live in an area that is secluded and not noticeable by all the mainstream traffic.

People here can have outside grills, but they have to use them out on the lawn or in the parking lot. Camping stoves are ok on the patios I think. Most people buy candles here though. I'm sure those battery operated induction burners will be popular soon.

Candles not allowed. Its in the rules. Which is why I hate it here. Too many stupid rules. I have some anyway, so.....:tongue-44: to them concerning candles. I also have the fake candles. And flashlights. Usually when the power goes out, everyone just opens their doors to the hallway since those lights are on the generator.

Never heard of a battery operated induction burner! Link please? Sounds cool!

Last edited:
Handy thing to have in short term power down situation and great if you have a small generator for recharging.

I don't have the generator. The apt complex does. Senior HUD housing, this place. And its nice we are on the same grid the hospital is on.....power does not stay off for long. Everyone else has to take a back seat cuz we be first in line to get it when its back on. :)

Candles not allowed. Its in the rules. Which is why I hate it here. Too many stupid rules. I have some anyway, so.....:tongue-44: to them concerning candles. I also have the fake candles. And flashlights. Usually when the power goes out, everyone just opens their doors to the hallway since those lights are on the generator.
No candles? Imagine. But I have battery operated candles too.

I don't have the generator. The apt complex does. Senior HUD housing, this place. And its nice we are on the same grid the hospital is on.....power does not stay off for long. Everyone else has to take a back seat cuz we be first in line to get it when its back on. :)
That's the good thing about senior housing. I lived in senior high rises for several years. We were also the first place that the community aid came to, like the senior center being able to cook on their gas stoves would bring sandwiches and hot soup and coffee to my building.

I like being prepared. I bought my van because I KNEW two years before it happened, that the owner of the house I was renting would want it back even though it was supposedly a life estate deal. Women's intuition kicked in way in advance and I am so glad I listened to it since we wound up living in it for awhile.

So....I stock food and supplies and if it is not needed and the world straightens up..well....then it will be share time with my neighbors. Maybe a gathering where everyone brings a dish or something. It will NOT go to waste.

That's the good thing about senior housing. I lived in senior high rises for several years. We were also the first place that the community aid came to, like the senior center being able to cook on their gas stoves would bring sandwiches and hot soup and coffee to my building.
We have a kitchen here, but we are still in lockdown. No chairs anywhere. Tables put in storage. Kitchen locked. No gatherings. But we do anyway and those who can't move around well just sit in their walkers and gather in front of the mailboxes, lol. Dining/Bingo room is closed too. But each floor has huge bookshelves full of books, so.....

I like being prepared. I bought my van because I KNEW two years before it happened, that the owner of the house I was renting would want it back even though it was supposedly a life estate deal. Women's intuition kicked in way in advance and I am so glad I listened to it since we wound up living in it for awhile.

So....I stock food and supplies and if it is not needed and the world straightens up..well....then it will be share time with my neighbors. Maybe a gathering where everyone brings a dish or something. It will NOT go to waste.
Intuition -- one of the greatest tools in life!

We have a kitchen here, but we are still in lockdown. No chairs anywhere. Tables put in storage. Kitchen locked. No gatherings. But we do anyway and those who can't move around well just sit in their walkers and gather in front of the mailboxes, lol. Dining/Bingo room is closed too. But each floor has huge bookshelves full of books, so.....
Making the best of it!

Some of those cargo ships MIGHT be carrying meds too. China makes all the stuff we SHOULD be making here in the states. Make our own meds. So stuff like that should be collected too.

MrG is on blood thinners and when he went to get a refill, they said he had to wait cuz they were out and still waiting for the supply to arrive. Good thing he still had backup.....just in case.

And home remedy books. No power, no internet. Can't get to a doc because of no gas and no power for cash registers? Know how to do it yourself to mend whatever needs mending.

In short...think the worst and prepare for it.

MrG is on blood thinners and when he went to get a refill, they said he had to wait cuz they were out and still waiting for the supply to arrive. Good thing he still had backup.....just in case.
Smart man. Another important thing to have -- a month or two of medications! I'm so lucky I don't need meds.

And home remedy books. No power, no internet. Can't get to a doc because of no gas and no power for cash registers? Know how to do it yourself to mend whatever needs mending.

In short...think the worst and prepare for it.
What's so amazing is that just a hundred years ago or even more recently, everyone knew how to do so many of those things we now rely on "experts" to do for us. Just try reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's books and you'll see what life was like when people knew how to provide for all their own needs, with a few exceptions.

Forum List

Back