So, What Did Everybody Get For Christmas?

The one thing that I didn't get this year was a white Christmas unfortunately.

We had what is traditional Christmas weather for Phoenix: gray and rainy.

I did get to go to a special Christmas Eve karaoke last night at a new place I haven't been to, and they basically gave me the bar equivalent of a standing ovation: everyone stopped talking while I sang, then shouted and cheered, and I came back to my table to find it covered in drinks people sent over. So that was nice.

We had what is traditional Christmas weather for Phoenix: gray and rainy.

I did get to go to a special Christmas Eve karaoke last night at a new place I haven't been to, and they basically gave me the bar equivalent of a standing ovation: everyone stopped talking while I sang, then shouted and cheered, and I came back to my table to find it covered in drinks people sent over. So that was nice.

Not really sure about your neck of the woods but where I live, the bar equivalent of a standing ovation is when they start throwing bottles at the stage.

Not really sure about your neck of the woods but where I live, the bar equivalent of a standing ovation is when they start throwing bottles at the stage.

Yeah, I don't go to those kinds of bars. The worst that happens, if someone really sucks, is that the whole bar gets up and goes outside for a cigarette break . . . even the people who don't smoke. One of the highest compliments is when you start singing and people start streaming back inside from the smoking area.

An awesome opportunity to go duck hunting without having to worry about anyone else being on the lake this morning.
Wasn't very cold, good hunting conditions, didn't have to rush getting to my spot, and had my limit by 8:30.

.​

Yeah, I don't go to those kinds of bars. The worst that happens, if someone really sucks, is that the whole bar gets up and goes outside for a cigarette break . . . even the people who don't smoke. One of the highest compliments is when you start singing and people start streaming back inside from the smoking area.

I kinda sorta think that it's not "cigarettes" they're smoking out there. Don't go out there with them, whatever you do. Last time I did, was back in 2006. I ended up leaving all my instruments because I got so stoned and ended up in some town in Oklahoma the next morning, not knowing where the hell I was.

I kinda sorta think that it's not "cigarettes" they're smoking out there. Don't go out there with them, whatever you do. Last time I did, was back in 2006. I ended up leaving all my instruments because I got so stoned and ended up in some town in Oklahoma the next morning, not knowing where the hell I was.

Not that kinda bar, either. And it's fairly easy to tell from the smell what people are smoking.

Aztecs Revenge Mexican Style Hot Sauce Collection - 7 Exciting Flavors. (it is a caucasian thang you wouldn't understand).​

5c8417c2-9548-4717-b0c3-8ac102d65f87

Kroger Card $200.00
Baseball Cap

Aztecs Revenge Mexican Style Hot Sauce Collection - 7 Exciting Flavors. (it is a caucasian thang you wouldn't understand).​

5c8417c2-9548-4717-b0c3-8ac102d65f87

Kroger Card $200.00
Baseball Cap

Water - 10%

Vinegar - 10%

Salt - 60%

Pepper - 20%

I've gotten so many of those for Christmas presents, even got one this year. The problem with those sauce packages is that they're way too salty, and they're usually made in some northern state. The best Meskin hot sauce is a perfect mixture of salty, sweet, sour, hot, and pungent, which most Gringos can't figure out how to do. Most commercial sauces I find at the stores don't do it for me, even the ones made in Mexico. Cholula is good, but lacks sweetness. Valentina is too salty. Tapatio is too salty. El Yucateco comes in varying degrees of heat, but doesn't have flavor. Tabasco is salty and hot, but doesn't have enough sweetness and tastes more "Louisiana" than Mexico.

The best sauce you can find is at those little hole in the wall taco joints that used to sell their tacos for a dollar. I think they're about $3 now. They're nothing but two fried corn tortillas with chicken or beef, onions, and cilantro. The tacos aren't much but what makes them good are the sauces. Most taco joints have two bottles of sauce - one red, and one green. The red sauce is usually hotter than hell, made out of one or more different dried peppers that were toasted, some vinegar, tomato sauce, salt, sugar, onion, and cilantro, all ran through a food processor. The green sauce is always milder, and is made of tomitillo, or small green tomatoes.

Every little taco shop has the same two sauces, although they vary slightly. Now the best Mexican hot sauce I ever had was back in the late 50's. It was at a little place 30 miles outside of Chicago. The place was basically a bar, which had a small restaurant in the back. The name of the place was "Longey's". The Meskin cook had palsy and his hands shook. They had some bottles of sauce on the table that came from Mexico. It had the consistency and color of A-1 steak sauce, but was the perfect combination of hot, sweet, sour, and salty.

I've tried several times to replicate that, but haven't been successful. Guess I'm just not Meskin enough to pull that off.

My wife and I got the same things we give each other every year: Edibles, clothes, and scratch-off tickets. We just both have so much stuff that we really don't need anything.

I mean, just look at the garage. Do I look like I need anything? :laughing0301:

View attachment 579798

Same here.
If we want something we just buy it. If it's more than say a couple hundred bucks we'll let the other know beforehand.

I got a 70” television set, several clothing items, and my wife tells me there’s a surprise arriving for me in the next couple days. Small, simple, quickly over… just how I like Christmas.

Same here.
If we want something we just buy it. If it's more than say a couple hundred bucks we'll let the other know beforehand.

Simply getting something that you want isn't really the point of gifts. The point is someone loving you enough to put the thought and effort into getting you something you wouldn't necessarily get for yourself.

My favorite gift that I've ever gotten from my husband was a breadmaker. Sure, I could have just gone and bought one myself, but it never would have occurred to me that I wanted to do so. I told him once how my grandma used to bake bread when I was a kid, and I always loved the smell and the taste of fresh bread, and I was sorry I didn't have time to bake my own. So he decided to get me a breadmaker so I could still have the smell and taste without the time and effort to do it by hand.

Forum List

Back