So someone said "corrupt extremists"implying extremism is not wrong per se

Libby von H

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2023
This is why LOGIC is so important.

IF extremism is not ipso facto wrong only 'corrupt' extremism is, then 3 things follow and can't be denied

1)Poster actually approves certain fomrs of extremism BOO!!!
2) Poster wants to only tar certain people and nothing else. Doesn't really care one way or the other about right and wrong
3) Doesn't realize that BOTH terms have no referent !!! What does 'corrupt" mean ? --- that the poster gets to decide ? But he might be corrupt !! So there is the ego problem of just saying " What I call 'corrupt' is what you have to accept !!

IN all this the psychological fact stands out, people who talk like this are more likely to be extreme and corrupt than are other people
LOGIC

This is why LOGIC is so important.

IF extremism is not ipso facto wrong only 'corrupt' extremism is, then 3 things follow and can't be denied

1)Poster actually approves certain fomrs of extremism BOO!!!
2) Poster wants to only tar certain people and nothing else. Doesn't really care one way or the other about right and wrong
3) Doesn't realize that BOTH terms have no referent !!! What does 'corrupt" mean ? --- that the poster gets to decide ? But he might be corrupt !! So there is the ego problem of just saying " What I call 'corrupt' is what you have to accept !!

IN all this the psychological fact stands out, people who talk like this are more likely to be extreme and corrupt than are other people
LOGIC
"extremism in persuit od liberty is no vice." goldwater

Yes, written by Harry V Jaffa whom I quoted extensively just minutes ago.

But that makes my point that it is the aim that makes a thing good or bad.

And notice to that the above quote has an implication
YOU CAN DO THE RIGHT THING FOR THE WRONG REASON

THe FOunders did not take the view that the French Revolution did.Their Christian faith prevented that

Basically, if you speak up too much you get labeled as an extremist. I should know, I am one.

It is simply a redundancy.

Corrupt behavior is intrinsic to extremists as they believe the ends justify the means.
Intolerable Tolerance

You're assuming that there is something wrong with the means that needs them to be justified. But extremism is justified if it's the only way to get something done. The atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were literally "mass-murders." But it was the only way to prevent mass-murders by the fanatical Japanese civilians of American GIs.

Anyone who participates in a riot must be shot dead in cold blood, meaning even if he doesn't have a weapon. Arrests and tear gas have not put a final stop to this subhuman behavior, so considering it a war situation is the only way to prevent mass destruction of our cities.

It is simply a redundancy.

Corrupt behavior is intrinsic to extremists as they believe the ends justify the means.
Well, it can't be that unless you know that the main thought is corruption or the main thought is extermism.
Corrupt means by defnition 'not good' but 'extremism' is totally a matter of good and bad. If someone kills saintly resister the killer is estremely bad and the martyr extremely good.

Not a redundancy at all, You assume you know what is central and what is just modifier BUT YOU DO NOT

Which makes my point that until we know the end for which you act, you could be a horrible horrible person doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

1712670804416.png

Forum List

Back