So many morons with fake degrees

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
The universities have greatly expanded the variety of master and phds you can obtain .
They know the Govt is paying and the colleges are making bank

Amazing how many fake high level degrees you can obtain and still be making under 30 grand but be 300,000 in debt

White 6
The only majors that pay well are computer sciences, a few engineering degrees , maybe accounting!!
You need to go to med or law school to make the real $$$

I am sure T school did not cost very much and helped fine tune folks but it won’t do much for new people

White 6
The only majors that pay well are computer sciences, a few engineering degrees , maybe accounting!!
You need to go to med or law school to make the real $$$
You can make it fine in a middle income with just a business degree if you actually studied and know what you are doing. Then, you can retire comfortably having never owed a dime in college loans. If making the big buck is your goal, knock yourself out and borrow the big buck. It did not cross my mind.

The universities have greatly expanded the variety of master and phds you can obtain .

Amazing how many fake high level degrees you can obtain and still be making under 30 grand but be 300,000 in debt
Do you have your high school diploma framed on your wall, or are you still working on it?

Graduate degrees (as contrasted with Professional Degrees) used to be a big deal, but are they still?

A friend of mine got a Masters in Political Science in the 70's and he had to write a (graded) thesis, pass a comprehensive exam, and go through an evaluation interview with the faculty, all of which he described as grueling. At the time, all advanced degrees in the humanities had similar requirements.

I have the impression - with no first hand knowledge - that one can get a masters degree today simply by taking courses - no comprehensive exam, no thesis, and no in-person evaluation.

Is that true?

The problem is the government guarantee of the loans. Lenders don't give a shit about qualifying the loan and making sure the borrower pays back because Uncle Sucker- the beleaguered taxpayer- will pony up if the he doesn't.

Putting the risk back on the lender is how to get this back under control.

If someone comes forward and wants to borrow 300k to get an advanced degree in German Polka or Lesbian Studies, most lenders would want substantial collateral and/or cosigners with deep pockets to guarantee payment. Further, the lender would want to charge higher interest to justify the risk as well as be given license to break legs if necessary to get their money back.

An overhaul of the student loan program is definitely needed.
And despite the many other flaws the nation has actually Australia has one of the best programs for student loans and forgiveness programs around. (Controlled fixed pricing and repayment programs for certain degrees)

But I definitely agree...an overhaul is needed despite the whining.
We need the tertiary educations available as well as post-secondary educations for the skilled trades. (HVAC to electricians and nursing)

Because if we get blanket loan forgiveness for everyone...the current, worthless system gets cemented in place.

The term "scientist" has become a cliche. Shake a test tube for a couple of hours a week and presto, yur a scientist even if you can't spell it.

Wow, so much animus towards those trying to accomplish the very things others are denigrated for not having, especially us.

By the way, the definition of a "fake degree" usually refers to one obtained from a degree mill where the degree holder didn't have to attend any classes or put in much if any work. To my understanding you pay your money and you get your paper.

I found this article to be helpful:
Online College versus Diploma Mills: Know the Difference - TheBestSchools.org

NewsVine_Mariyam
Accomplish what ?? Landing a minimum wage job lol
If you have a graduate degree and are only earning minimum wage, then there are a lot of things wrong with your life before you even get to your alleged "fake degree".

Before I earned my bachelor's I rarely worked for minimum wage. That's one of the things that caused some of the animus on the job from some of the other girls in one case because I earned more than they did (I'm black, they were white) but we were doing different jobs.

And to hear you complain weekly on this board about your work life it sounds like no matter how much you're making, you're miserable in having to do the work you do. I have turned down jobs that paid more for jobs that were less stressful including the commute and the working environment.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back