So Biden wants 500,000 chargers... how long does it take to charge an EV car?

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Biden's plans...
These steps will help the United States meet President Biden’s ambitious goals to confront the climate crisis, by building a national network of 500,000 electric vehicle chargers along America’s highways and in our communities and have EVs make up at least 50% of new car sales by 2030, all while advancing an industrial strategy to continue to build-out the domestic EV and EV charging industry.

Two glaring obstacles that Biden hasn't thought of...
1) 500,000 chargers with the FASTEST charging installed will require if the FASTEST re-charger charges an EV in 40 minutes to travel 24 miles POD Point Confidence!
The most miles with confidence is 238 miles and takes 2 hours! How Long Does It Take to Charge an Electric Car? | Pod Point
It takes me less than 10 minutes to fill my car that will allow me to travel over 340 miles on one 10 minute fill up!
Think about that... 2 hours to charge an EV to travel at least 238 miles.... wow!
So Joe's 2nd glaring obstacle is this..
2) Joe wants 50% of new car sales being EVs... ok..
Average number of new cars sold per year:...The U.S. auto industry sold nearly 2.86 million cars in 2022. U.S.: annual car sales 2022 | Statista
So between 2023 and 2030 is 7 years... 1,500,000 EVs sold for 7 years equals 10,500,000 cars.
10,500,000 traveling the average of 14,253 miles/car source: https://www.thezebra.com/resources/driving/average-miles-driven-per-year/
The average EV car uses 0.25 kWh to travel 1 mile... or 10,500,000 cars traveling 149,761,500,000 miles divided by 0.25 kWh equals 599,046,000,000 kWh ADDED to
the current average of 4,165,030,000,000 kWh electricity generated in USA in 2021 by all power plants or nearly 15% more electricity!
So Biden's totally ignorant plans to make 10.5 million EVs with each EV needed at least 2 hours to charge a vehicle traveling 238 miles will cost EACH American household
another 15% MORE electricity demand per year! Folks where will that come from because we can't build enough generating plants in 7 years.
Right now 11,070 plants generate an average of 376,244,806 kWh and with Biden's plan adding nearly 600 Billion kWh... that means 1,592 power plants needed all built
within the next 7 years!
Biden's 7 year plan will Cost Americans in electricity blackouts and wasted time re-charging their cars.
Now some of you ignorant people will say... oh yea well these EV owners can re-charge at home over night! I've heard that before! Where does the electricity to come from?
Not Wind turbines as it takes 80 acres for one WT. Solar panels... that'll work... if you have a home but how many EV owners have homes?
howlongtochargeEV.png

You silly goose.

95% of ALL CHARGING will be done in the middle of the night, at home. Using a remote charger for most people will be a one-off event, happening a few times per year.

Charging speeds, especially at public superchargers is quickly increasing in efficiency. Expect 15 minutes to go from 10% to 80% - easily tolerable for everyone. Every new car that is introduced is slightly faster charging than those that preceded it.

The real obstacle is rare minerals required to make batteries. As always, tree-huggers getting in the way of doing the logical thing.

So you drive 340 miles and stop for lunch.

Problem solved
Where did you get 340 miles traveling from the below FASTEST recharger from the below chart?
There is NO 340 miles worth of traveling...meaning the most you can confidently travel is 238 miles after recharging for 2 hours!

The shortest time was 40 minutes for a Point of Distance Confidence range of 24 miles with the FASTEST time from empty to Full Charged!
Obviously you are like Biden totally ignorant of EVs.
Plus remember 500,000 chargers for 10,500,000 EVs... really?
The problem with Biden and people like you is you have NO CONCEPT of what you are proposing!

howlongtochargeEV.png

For many electric vehicles, there is no way to repair or assess even slightly damaged battery packs after accidents, forcing insurance companies to write off cars with few miles - leading to higher premiums and undercutting gains from going electric.

And now those battery packs are piling up in scrapyards in some countries, a previously unreported and expensive gap in what was supposed to be a "circular economy."

Where did you get 340 miles traveling from the below FASTEST recharger from the below chart?
There is NO 340 miles worth of traveling...meaning the most you can confidently travel is 238 miles after recharging for 2 hours!

The shortest time was 40 minutes for a Point of Distance Confidence range of 24 miles with the FASTEST time from empty to Full Charged!
Obviously you are like Biden totally ignorant of EVs.
Plus remember 500,000 chargers for 10,500,000 EVs... really?
The problem with Biden and people like you is you have NO CONCEPT of what you are proposing!

View attachment 774142
Ok. 240 miles and you stop for lunch. That’s four hours of driving

Biden's plans...
These steps will help the United States meet President Biden’s ambitious goals to confront the climate crisis, by building a national network of 500,000 electric vehicle chargers along America’s highways and in our communities and have EVs make up at least 50% of new car sales by 2030, all while advancing an industrial strategy to continue to build-out the domestic EV and EV charging industry.

1) 500,000 chargers with the FASTEST charging installed will require if the FASTEST re-charger charges an EV in 40 minutes to travel 24 miles POD Point Confidence!
The most miles with confidence is 238 miles and takes 2 hours! How Long Does It Take to Charge an Electric Car? | Pod Point
It takes me less than 10 minutes to fill my car that will allow me to travel over 340 miles on one 10 minute fill up!
Think about that... 2 hours to charge an EV to travel at least 238 miles.... wow!
Average number of new cars sold per year:...The U.S. auto industry sold nearly 2.86 million cars in 2022. U.S.: annual car sales 2022 | Statista
So between 2023 and 2030 is 7 years... 1,500,000 EVs sold for 7 years equals 10,500,000 cars.
10,500,000 traveling the average of 14,253 miles/car source: https://www.thezebra.com/resources/driving/average-miles-driven-per-year/
The average EV car uses 0.25 kWh to travel 1 mile... or 10,500,000 cars traveling 149,761,500,000 miles divided by 0.25 kWh equals 599,046,000,000 kWh ADDED to
the current average of 4,165,030,000,000 kWh electricity generated in USA in 2021 by all power plants or nearly 15% more electricity!
So Biden's totally ignorant plans to make 10.5 million EVs with each EV needed at least 2 hours to charge a vehicle traveling 238 miles will cost EACH American household
another 15% MORE electricity demand per year! Folks where will that come from because we can't build enough generating plants in 7 years.
Right now 11,070 plants generate an average of 376,244,806 kWh and with Biden's plan adding nearly 600 Billion kWh... that means 1,592 power plants needed all built
within the next 7 years!
Biden's 7 year plan will Cost Americans in electricity blackouts and wasted time re-charging their cars.
Now some of you ignorant people will say... oh yea well these EV owners can re-charge at home over night! I've heard that before! Where does the electricity to come from?
Not Wind turbines as it takes 80 acres for one WT. Solar panels... that'll work... if you have a home but how many EV owners have homes?
View attachment 774129
LOL So, since EV technology hasn't yet matured, we should abandon it? Do you think we got to the moon on the very first try?

Gad, being conservative has become synonymous with stupidity.

Biden's plans...

within the next 7 years!
View attachment 774129
It's not designed to save anything. It's designed to destroy this country, destroy freedom of movement and take control of citizenry.

IF you have a garage.....(family or fairly wealthy) you can charge at home and add costs onto Utility bills. But for the hundreds of million renters in Apartments (some with covered parking but no chargers) They are out of luck, unless their job has a charger out front. Things to think about. But of course I use common sense and logic. Unlike Communists.

You silly goose.

95% of ALL CHARGING will be done in the middle of the night, at home. Using a remote charger for most people will be a one-off event, happening a few times per year.

Charging speeds, especially at public superchargers is quickly increasing in efficiency. Expect 15 minutes to go from 10% to 80% - easily tolerable for everyone. Every new car that is introduced is slightly faster charging than those that preceded it.

The real obstacle is rare minerals required to make batteries. As always, tree-huggers getting in the way of doing the logical thing.
Geez you didn't read where I took that into consideration!
I wrote...
"Now some of you ignorant people will say... oh yea well these EV owners can re-charge at home over night! I've heard that before! Where does the electricity to come from?

I guess I need to repeat... WHERE do you get the electricity that "95% of all charging will be done"????? WHERE???

"Level 2 chargers (left) are common in home, workplace, and public settings and can charge a BEV from empty in 4-10 hours.
Direct current fast chargers (right) are common as public chargers and along highway corridors and can charge a BEV to 80 percent in under an hour.

But the most important FACT you evidently ignored: Where will the additional 15% more electricity come from for 10,500,000 EVs.
OH and by the way ... you and the Biden people forget about TRUCKS!!!

The average EV truck gets about 4.3 kWh per Battery capacity and recharging needs for electric buses in city transit service (Journal Article) | OSTI.GOV
The average EV truck was NOT included in the above examples I generated!

California's mandate that by 2035,
55% of delivery vans and small trucks,
75% of buses and larger trucks, and
40% of tractor-trailers and other big rigs sold in the state would have to be all-electric.”
Half of California Trucks to Be Electric by 2035

AGAIN and FINALLY the major point is where will the electricity come from? You haven't answered that!

LOL So, since EV technology hasn't yet matured, we should abandon it? Do you think we got to the moon on the very first try?

Gad, being conservative has become synonymous with stupidity.

Its' an option. Not to be MANDATED by BIG GOVT for no reason whatsoever. GAS cars are fine. a 4CYL will get 30MPG. Been around for decades. Infrastructure in place. If an EV was cost-equivelant and suited for many........they might buy them. But to be ordered by Ketchup Kerry to buy and Electric? We already have power shortages.

FACTOR in COLD Weather:

• The Nissan Leaf (with its base 40 kWh battery; a longer range version is set to go on sale later this year, Nissan has said) has an Environmental Protection Agency-estimated 151-mile range. At the end of our 64-mile drive, the predicted range left was only 10 miles. Using the advertised range, the car should have traveled 141 miles before it was left with only 10. That's more than double the anticipated loss in range.
  • The Tesla Model 3 has an EPA-estimated 310-mile range. At the end of that same 64 mile drive, it indicated there were 189 miles of predicted range. Put another way, the Model 3 used 121 miles worth of range in only 64 miles. That's almost double the anticipated loss.

IF you have a garage.....(family or fairly wealthy) you can charge at home and add costs onto Utility bills. But for the hundreds of million renters in Apartments (some with covered parking but no chargers) They are out of luck, unless their job has a charger out front. Things to think about. But of course I use common sense and logic. Unlike Communists.
AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN!!!
Where will the electricity come from that the family at home will use to recharge the EV?
ARE YOU aware that this is the situation?
I know, I know... these numbers are hard to comprehend but bottom line..Where will 1.5 TRILLION kWh come from that these home owners will be using to recharge?

if11.4carsEVsin2030.png

FACTOR in COLD Weather:

• The Nissan Leaf (with its base 40 kWh battery; a longer range version is set to go on sale later this year, Nissan has said) has an Environmental Protection Agency-estimated 151-mile range. At the end of our 64-mile drive, the predicted range left was only 10 miles. Using the advertised range, the car should have traveled 141 miles before it was left with only 10. That's more than double the anticipated loss in range.
  • The Tesla Model 3 has an EPA-estimated 310-mile range. At the end of that same 64 mile drive, it indicated there were 189 miles of predicted range. Put another way, the Model 3 used 121 miles worth of range in only 64 miles. That's almost double the anticipated loss.
My kid has a suburb plug in hybrid. He buys gas about twice a month

Forum List

Back