Smoker's - A Place to Work & Shop?

Smokers should be free to spread their filth wherever they please

Just lke the good ole days

I don't think that. I do however thing they have rights since smoking is legal.

I think they should have the option to run a store or business that allows it if they wish.

Non-smokers can just shop or work elsewhere...

Smoking illegal...I have no problem with you buying them

But lighting them and forcing me to breathe your filth is another issue

Should people be allowed to have work environments and run business that permit smoking?

If I'm a smoker and I want people to feel free to do so also and I own a business, should I have the right to do so? what if I want to run an establishment where I want people to smoke?

Or is it ok for the Government to decide this?

As a lifelong smoker and current pipe smoker I would say that because what I'm doing isn't limited to myself, but those downwind as well, it can be restricted by the government as to where I can enjoy a pipe. And forcing those downwind to smell and inhale my smoke infringes upon their rights not to.

As the Wiccan Rede states, "If it harm none, do as ye will."

I'm not saying make it a REQUIREMENT to smoke, just that they would allow it.

If I want to start a business, say, a comic book shop, in my neighborhood, but I want people to feel free to smoke while they are shopping, why not? People that don't like it can go elsewhere... why is this a problem?

Anyone opening a comic book shop would take a machete to anyone proposing smoking be allowed inside. :)

Smokers are free to work and shop anywhere that everyone else can....they just can't endulge in their filthy habit

Smoking is comparable to sky diving. Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane is not a natural act any more than inhaling the smoke from a burning plant. And much as a firsttime sky diver may exhibit violent reluctance to step out, someone who has never smoked before may find it very unpleasant as well. :)

But, nicotine is addictive, and the mechanical act of smoking is very habit-forming as well. That said, there are a handfull of physical health benefits plus psychological benefits to smoking. Gonna die of something eventually, if you grew up with smoking parents, you're probably addicted to nicotine from the 2nd hand exposure which results in your starting eventually. So there's a case to be made for not smoking around children as much as it can be avoided.

I find people who fret and worry about their exposure to smoke and other things are usually less healthy than you'd think just because of how much time they spend worrying about their health. Whereas we smokers are usually a lot better off. Ironic but true. We're far less stressed-out than those who worry about things like catching the odd whiff of smoke or how many calories are in their food.

Like my Mom who's always trying to stay thin despite being in her mid 60s. As I tease her, "It's probably too late to be thinking about a modelling career." :)

I find people who fret and worry about their exposure to smoke and other things are usually less healthy than you'd think just because of how much time they spend worrying about their health. Whereas we smokers are usually a lot better off. Ironic but true. We're far less stressed-out than those who worry about things like catching the odd whiff of smoke or how many calories are in their food.

Like my Mom who's always trying to stay thin despite being in her mid 60s. As I tease her, "It's probably too late to be thinking about a modelling career." :)
Smokers I have known throughout my life age prematurely and start having health problems in their fifties.

But ...hey

At least you got to look cool while puffing away your life

Should people be allowed to have work environments and run business that permit smoking?

If I'm a smoker and I want people to feel free to do so also and I own a business, should I have the right to do so? what if I want to run an establishment where I want people to smoke?

Let's see what the Book that establishes the government says:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common Defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Nope. You still cannot get around the laws of physics. People breathe air. There is no job or business that requires smoking. It's the same reason you can't just go dump antifreeze into your local water supply. Does the government, in its role as guardian of the public welfare, not have the right to prohibit you doing that?

Why would you "want people to smoke"? In your business or anywhere? Are you a (drug pusher) tobacco company? Would you "want" people to shoot heroin?
That's an extremely modern and incorrect application to the phrase Promote the General Welfare, an application (use of the phrase) never intended by the founding fathers.
The Founders made it clear that the general welfare was only referring to specifically enumerated powers granted within the Constitution, as Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton, and the Federalist Papers stated.

You don't have to patronize any establishment that chooses to allow smoking do you?
Evidently.......neither do smokers

I'm not the one spreading stench
So why do you care if a bar allows smoking when you don't have to patronize that establishment?

Why should the decision of passing up a meal or bar experience be mine, when I am not the one engaging in offensive behavior?

The smoker can decide when he will smoke

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common Defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Nope. You still cannot get around the laws of physics. People breathe air. There is no job or business that requires smoking. It's the same reason you can't just go dump antifreeze into your local water supply. Does the government, in its role as guardian of the public welfare, not have the right to prohibit you doing that?

Why would you "want people to smoke"? In your business or anywhere? Are you a (drug pusher) tobacco company? Would you "want" people to shoot heroin?
That's an extremely modern and incorrect application to the phrase Promote the General Welfare, an application (use of the phrase) never intended by the founding fathers.
The Founders made it clear that the general welfare was only referring to specifically enumerated powers granted within the Constitution, as Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton, and the Federalist Papers stated.
There is no federal ban on public smoking.....it is done at the state level

Is keeping the air (relatively) unpolluted "promoting the general welfare", or is it not? Seems a fairly straightforward equivalence, IMHO. Where might be the exclusionary language?

You don't have to patronize any establishment that chooses to allow smoking do you?

So why do you care if a bar allows smoking when you don't have to patronize that establishment?

Why should the decision of passing up a meal or bar experience be mine, when I am not the one engaging in offensive behavior?

Why should an owner, if he wants to create a bar that caters to smokers, be forced to accommodate your prissy ass?

Why should an owner, if he wants to create a bar that caters to smokers, be forced to accommodate your prissy ass?

Desiring to breathe oxygen is "prissy"?

pris·sy ˈprisē/
adjective
adjective: prissy; comparative adjective: prissier; superlative adjective: prissiest
fussily and excessively respectable.
"her prissy mother"
synonyms: prudish, priggish, prim, prim and proper, strait-laced, Victorian, old-maidish, schoolmarmish;
informalstarchy
"the family was stunned when prissy Aunt Trudy ran off with the tractor salesman"

shakehead.gif

How would you describe fish? "Whiny"?
Damn gill breathers....

Desiring to breathe oxygen is "prissy"?

pris·sy ˈprisē/
adjective
adjective: prissy; comparative adjective: prissier; superlative adjective: prissiest
fussily and excessively respectable.
"her prissy mother"
synonyms: prudish, priggish, prim, prim and proper, strait-laced, Victorian, old-maidish, schoolmarmish;
informalstarchy
"the family was stunned when prissy Aunt Trudy ran off with the tractor salesman"

shakehead.gif

How would you describe fish? "Whiny"?
Damn gill breathers....

Expecting every single bar to cater to your desire is sure as hell prissy. If a person wants to open a bar that allows smoking, what's the problem?

GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

She/he who signs the checks, makes the rules. Period! :thup:

Is keeping the air (relatively) unpolluted "promoting the general welfare", or is it not? Seems a fairly straightforward equivalence, IMHO. Where might be the exclusionary language?
You're basing it on primarily correlative evidence, what we don't know about external, environmental affects on the human body can fill libraries. From a purely scientific standpoint for all we really know the vast majority of diseases associated with tobacco could just as easily be associated with the over 2000 nuclear tests conducted since the first atom bomb was tested or the unknown (definitely large) number of plastics that have been burned since plastic was first invented not to mention what has been released into the atmosphere with their manufacture. We really don't know all the possible variables so given those (relatively few empirical) incidents where tobacco can be linked to diseases it's just much simpler to extrapolate and blame tobacco alone.

There is no federal ban on public smoking.....it is done at the state level
Bingo.

She/he who signs the checks, makes the rules. Period! :thup:

Except in the People's Republic.

Forum List

Back