Smoker's - A Place to Work & Shop?

Smokers should be free to spread their filth wherever they please

Just lke the good ole days

I don't think that. I do however thing they have rights since smoking is legal.

I think they should have the option to run a store or business that allows it if they wish.

Non-smokers can just shop or work elsewhere...

I'm not saying make it a REQUIREMENT to smoke, just that they would allow it.

If I want to start a business, say, a comic book shop, in my neighborhood, but I want people to feel free to smoke while they are shopping, why not? People that don't like it can go elsewhere... why is this a problem?

Because smoking cannot exist in a vacuum. Literally.
In other words it is impossible for one person in a roomful of people to be smoking. If one person lights up, everybody in the area is smoking. Whether they want to or not. And that's the issue. It always has been.

If one person in the same roomful of people is drinking --- that doesn't happen.

Well put and the very crux of the question.

People can smoke. They just can't force others to smoke tool

If I want to start a business, say, a comic book shop, in my neighborhood, but I want people to feel free to smoke while they are shopping, why not? People that don't like it can go elsewhere... why is this a problem?

In other words it is impossible for one person in a roomful of people to be smoking. If one person lights up, everybody in the area is smoking. Whether they want to or not. And that's the issue. It always has been.

If one person in the same roomful of people is drinking --- that doesn't happen.

It depends on the ventilation setup, and the degree. Secondhand smoke does not equal direct inhale, no matter how much lying the anti-smoking people say. Its all about concentration and duration.

It depends on the ventilation setup, and the degree. Secondhand smoke does not equal direct inhale, no matter how much lying the anti-smoking people say. Its all about concentration and duration.

Riiiiight. Like being "a little bit pregnant".

For the record: I do NOT smoke (and am a reformed smoker, it's been 10 years)

Should people be allowed to have work environments and run business that permit smoking?

If I'm a smoker and I want people to feel free to do so also and I own a business, should I have the right to do so? what if I want to run an establishment where I want people to smoke?

Or is it ok for the Government to decide this?

Let's see what the Book that establishes the government says:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common Defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Nope. You still cannot get around the laws of physics. People breathe air. There is no job or business that requires smoking. It's the same reason you can't just go dump antifreeze into your local water supply. Does the government, in its role as guardian of the public welfare, not have the right to prohibit you doing that?

Why would you "want people to smoke"? In your business or anywhere? Are you a (drug pusher) tobacco company? Would you "want" people to shoot heroin?
Because there are too many people on the planet. People are not an endangered species, we don't need to treat them like one.

Riiiiight. Like being "a little bit pregnant".

If you have an updraft system in place with sufficient air changes the impact would be negligible, even more so if you limit smoking to a certain area near the updraft. The point is controls could be implemented for business that wanted to include smoking, but the people pushing for smoking bans are all or nothing nanny staters.

And I have never smoked a cigarette in my life, (I smoke 2-3 cigars a year), but I think if business wants to allow smoking, and can set up proper HVAC controls, they should be able to get a waiver to the laws in question.

And I have never smoked a cigarette in my life, (I smoke 2-3 cigars a year), but I think if business wants to allow smoking, and can set up proper HVAC controls, they should be able to get a waiver to the laws in question.

Again -- gases don't work that way. It's like suggesting you can put jacuzzi jets in a swimming pool and say that lets you have a peeing zone.

You can't just overrule the laws of physics.

Should people be allowed to have work environments and run business that permit smoking?

If I'm a smoker and I want people to feel free to do so also and I own a business, should I have the right to do so? what if I want to run an establishment where I want people to smoke?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common Defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Nope. You still cannot get around the laws of physics. People breathe air. There is no job or business that requires smoking. It's the same reason you can't just go dump antifreeze into your local water supply. Does the government, in its role as guardian of the public welfare, not have the right to prohibit you doing that?

Why would you "want people to smoke"? In your business or anywhere? Are you a (drug pusher) tobacco company? Would you "want" people to shoot heroin?
Because there are too many people on the planet. People are not an endangered species, we don't need to treat them like one.

So ---- what, we should set up gas chambers and establish some percent of the population to go there?

Bizarre.

Again -- gases don't work that way. It's like suggesting you can put jacuzzi jets in a swimming pool and say that lets you have a peeing zone.

Liquids and gasses have different diffusion rules, as well as a jacuzzi being set up for mixing, not isolation.

Air curtains are used all the time to create different zones in industrial settings.

To me this would only apply to businesses like bars, and only if they WANT to do it, and post so outside. I would still see them needing a waiver.

Why are you so hard up on being such a busybody?

My first woman said just about the same thing to Me.......what a woman....:afro:

Liquids and gasses have different diffusion rules, as well as a jacuzzi being set up for mixing, not isolation.

Air curtains are used all the time to create different zones in industrial settings.

To me this would only apply to businesses like bars, and only if they WANT to do it, and post so outside. I would still see them needing a waiver.

Not my thread dood. I'm just saying, this is how gases work. As long as we breathe air, it's not something one person does by himself -- unless he IS by himself.

I ain't about to walk around in SCUBA gear just because some self-centered asshole has to get his fix. He can get the fuck over it like I did.

Not my thread dood. I'm just saying, this is how gases work. As long as we breathe air, it's not something one person does by himself -- unless he IS by himself.

I ain't about to walk around in SCUBA gear just because some self-centered asshole has to get his fix. He can get the fuck over it like I did.

and concentration matters. if you reduce the smoke concentration below the level of contaminants in ambient air, you don't have an issue. One particle of this will not kill you.

And you being an ex-smoker makes sense, if you can't have fun, no one else can. What a prick.

So ---- what, we should set up gas chambers and establish some percent of the population to go there?

Bizarre.
I'm not for setting up or assigning anything, Mr. Statist-Presumpto. They can jump off of bridges for all I care.

Smoking is voluntary... as is hanging out in place where people smoke. My only complaint with choosing smoking as your means to get off this fine planet, is the amount of time it takes for that end-game to reach fruition.

and concentration matters. if you reduce the smoke concentration below the level of contaminants in ambient air, you don't have an issue. One particle of this will not kill you.

And you being an ex-smoker makes sense, if you can't have fun, no one else can. What a prick.

I have zero desire to smoke, because it ain't "fun". "Fun" ain't got nothing to do with it. "Fun" is actually breathing air and having a sense of smell.

Actually not "zero" -- you know that number that's way way less than zero? That. Kelvin scale.

I don't give a flying fuck what somebody else does with their lungs. You just don't get to put it in mine. That's all there is to it.

Find a way you can smoke solo, and puff away. I think that's why they invented e-cigs. But conventional ones don't do it. And throwing HVAC at it doesn't either -- that's a joke. Hell I can smell when the driver in the car in front of me is smoking.

I have zero desire to smoke, because it ain't "fun". "Fun" ain't got nothing to do with it. "Fun" is actually breathing air and having a sense of smell.

Actually not "zero" -- you know that number that's way way less than zero? That. Kelvin scale.

I don't give a flying fuck what somebody else does with their lungs. You just don't get to put it in mine. That's all there is to it.

Find a way you can smoke solo, and puff away. I think that's why they invented e-cigs. But conventional ones don't do it. And throwing HVAC at it doesn't either -- that's a joke. Hell I can smell when the driver in the car in front of me is smoking.

Considering the nanny state-ers are treating vapers as cigs shows what most people want out of this. Control.

and smelling it doesn't equal it being at concentrations of concern.

I see nothing wrong it a bar getting a waiver if it can set up a system to reduce the smoke in the area.

I don't smoke never did never will.

I just don't think I have the right to tell a business owner what to do on his own property.

If there was a bar or store or restaurant around me that allowed smoking I simply wouldn't patronize those places.

I certainly wouldn't get my undies in a twist over it like some of the idiots here are.

Forum List

Back