• Yes

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Let's see if they raise the age to buy a rifle

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I'm not paying attention

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Potato (this answer is unaffiliated with Joe Biden)

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
Whatever regulations apply to any adult of any age should apply to an 18 year old or you raise the age of what is legally considered an adult.
Exactly, if we need to restrict firearm purchases to 21 year old's then the age of majority needs to be put back to 21 as well.

Either you're an adult or you aren't.

Anything else violates the 14th Amendment and in the case of firearms the 2nd as well.

Congress can also choose not to enforce that prohibition in the same way that the federal government only attempts to enforce the supremacy clause when Missouri passes a law that state law enforcement will not cooperate with federal law enforcement when there is a possibility of 2nd Amendment infringement...but ignores other states laws that forbid cooperation with federal enforcement of immigration law.
But if they choose not to enforce it,

it will end up in the Supreme Court, and the SC HAS TO support the Constitution's DIRECT WORDING, on this topic, which states 18 as the legal age to vote.

It just can't and won't happen, Missourian.... Not without a constitutional Amendment. And that is more than highly, unlikely....

You can change through laws the drinking age, the age of consent, the driving age, the draft age etc..... But NOT the age to vote!

it will end up in the Supreme Court, and the SC HAS TO support the Constitution's DIRECT WORDING, on this topic, which states 18 as the legal age to vote.

It just can't and won't happen, Missourian.... Not without a constitutional Amendment. And that is more than highly, unlikely....

You can change through laws the drinking age, the age of consent, the driving age, the draft age etc..... But NOT the age to vote!
Then we have a 14th Amendment problem.

Ok...let me see if I understand what you are saying.

Hypothetically... Let's say that the Constitution said something like...."A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."...that we couldn't infringe on the rights of 18 to 20 year olds citizens?

Because that's what it sounds like you are saying.

If the government says you aren't old enough to buy tobacco, alcohol or guns...they are telling us people under 21 aren't mature enough to make good decisions...therefore...should we not also raise the voting age to 21?

Infantilizing our youth has done no good to anyone. I say make the age of majority 19 across the board for EVERYthing, so "kids" are out of high school. Then everything can happen: voting, marriage, contracts, drinking, buying guns, military. Everything.

On a related note:

This infantilizing is getting worse. The term "preschoolers"--previously children aged 3 and 4--has been replaced by "toddlers". Wrong term. Toddlers are new walkers--those who toddle. One and maybe two year olds.

The children who tragically died at Uvalde are commonly referred to as "babies". I understand that their lives were cut short entirely too soon, and tragically. But these were children--they were 10. Some were pre-pubescent. They were not babies.

I know it seems small but words matter. The way we refer to our children and youth matter.

/end vent

Hypothetically... Let's say that the Constitution said something like...."A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."...that we couldn't infringe on the rights of 18 to 20 year olds citizens?

No, it has not turned out that way.... The courts have ruled in various different court suits that congress can regulate age, and can regulate where guns are permitted or not, and regulate who can not own a gun, like felons cant for a time period, and stuff like that.....

Honestly, I've never read the Supreme Court decisions on these suits mentioned above so I do not know or understand how they came to their decisions on these things!?!?!?

If the government says you aren't old enough to buy tobacco, alcohol or guns...they are telling us people under 21 aren't mature enough to make good decisions...therefore...should we not also raise the voting age to 21?
Doesn’t matter since most Americans of any age aren’t mature enough to vote. The proof of this is reflected in the politicians they’ve elected for decades.

Any restriction on an individual right should be applicable to any other individual right. Unless specified by amendment.

Yes, the voting age should be raised to 21. Younger voters are taking America the wrong direction.

---Young Voters Were Crucial to Biden’s Win---

Biden didn't win, they stole.

Years ago the argument was "if you can be drafted and fight for your Country you should be able to vote" and it was a logical argument. Today you can fight for your Country and vote but you can't buy a pack of cigarettes or a drink in some jurisdictions. If you aren't smart enough after High School to pick a political agenda you agree with, you will probably never be smart and they might as well raise the voting age to 35.

As much as the Democrats want to maintain voting age or even lower it while raising the age for tobaccos and alcohol while not even touching the draft age, all shows how they are simply about control.

Sadly yes we should because today's 18 years old have the maturity level of a 12 year old from 30 years ago. And even a lot of today's 21 year olds have the maturity level of a 16 year old from 30 years ago.

Id also argue that you shouldn't be allowed to vote unless you have a job, or are 65 years or older and retired. Not paying income tax? No voting.

Yes, the voting age should be raised to 21. Younger voters are taking America the wrong direction.

---Young Voters Were Crucial to Biden’s Win---

Do something to attract them besides running the same choice as the last election. Heck if desantis doesn't run I'm sitting the next election out.

Raise it to 24.

Correct.
18-20yrs olds have the same rights as 21+yr olds.

Forum List

Back