Should we ban peanuts?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
A small minority of Americans are lethally allergic to peanuts, which are pervasive throughout our food chain. Although precautions by the individuals potentially affected are largely effective, there are still a few people who die from this allergy every year. If we are truly concerned about saving their lives, why shouldn't we ban peanuts altogether until a preventive medical remedy is developed?

A small minority of Americans are lethally allergic to peanuts, which are pervasive throughout our food chain. Although precautions by the individuals potentially affected are largely effective, there are still a few people who die from this allergy every year. If we are truly concerned about saving their lives, why shouldn't we ban peanuts altogether until a preventive medical remedy is developed?
I'm sure you're not comparing a person choosing to eat peanuts to an aggressively contagious and deadly virus that is spread both through the air and by touching infected surfaces.

So perhaps you could provide some context or a reference point.

I don't know. Lucy can be pretty annoying when she pulls the football away just before Charlie Brown can kick it, but I don't think the whole cartoon should be banned.

84,000+ and rising is not "a few" deaths.

I'm sure you're not comparing a person choosing to eat peanuts to an aggressively contagious and deadly virus

No, I am not comparing a person to a virus. I am comparing a peanut allergy to a particular susceptibility to the Wuhan virus. In the former case, affected individuals are expected to take necessary precautions. In the latter case, the entire population is forced to quarantine rather than just the individuals who are in serious danger.

It's not a lot either. 84 million is a lot.

It's not a lot either. 84 million is a lot.
Yeah, it's a lot. imo. And we ain't done yet.

I'm in the susceptible category. It is impossible to quarantine here. I HAVE to go out to get groceries, etc. There is no delivery around here for necessities. But there are no active cases in our county, haven't been for weeks. So I'm not real worried. To truly "care for" the susceptible and keep them in quarantine where they would be safe is impossible unless they live alone. To keep them safe, NO ONE in their household could go out. Some of them rely on routine caregivers who come in to help them. You can't eliminate them, either.

Quarantining the susceptible (there are a lot more than you realize, and they're not all 80 and in nursing homes) is not possible at this point. Some country (maybe Sweden?) actually thought that out and prepared to actually provide in home support to those who need it. Do you think with a population our size, with the constraints on resources we have now, that you could arrange that here. Think it through.

There is no easy answer to this thing. Accept it.

Probably already have in CA

We should ban people with peanut allergies.

I remember my grandpa having a deadly allergic reaction(ambulance time) to N word toes. Nobody else in the family had any problem with any mixed nuts. I grow Macadamia and get a lil strange( dry mouth and itch) if I eat more than a couple handfuls.

I don't know. Lucy can be pretty annoying when she pulls the football away just before Charlie Brown can kick it, but I don't think the whole cartoon should be banned.
The blanket that she hated to see Linus carry around with him all of the time wasn't going to get him banned from the Christmas play either. If anything, it only fit perfectly with the character that he was going to portray. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Ever heard of cost-benefit analysis? We haven't banned hamburgers because of heart attacks or banned cars because of auto accidents. Why should we shut down the entire country because of a virus?

Haven't the airlines already done that (ban peanuts)? It has been years since I've flown and pretty soon I won't be able to fly since I haven't bothered to get the proper id.

No. We should not ban peanuts,

Some are allergic to it....but we are not

C'mon.... so stupid

Forum List

Back