Should I Buy An Air Fryer?

If Yes, Can You Recommend A Brand?

• Yes

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Not Worth The Trouble

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
My air fryer cooks better than my outside grill, because you can set the time and temperature and walk away and wait for the ding sound.
For a steak I set the time for about 12 minutes at 400F each side.
It comes out perfect every time.
I vary the time not the temperature depending upon the size of the steak.
You can also change the shelf height for different levels of cookedness, like rare, med, well and well done.
Chicken is cooked about the same way.
It also does a great job on frozen fries.
Just set the time and temperature and wait for the ding sound.

I would recommend a tall toaster oven type because they have different rack heights, and some have a rotisserie option.
air frierdjsdfjsldfjlsfj.JPG

I've got news for you: If you put 5 gallons of oil in a 20 gallon pot and drop in a 20 pound turkey, the results won't be much different...

I was laughing at the firemen in the video ... They were just playing with fire.

I cook duck by cutting it in 3/4-inch cubes, rolling it in a slurry of melted real butter and creole seasonings ...
Get a cast iron skillet almost white hot on the burner ...
Hook up the water hose, put on mitts, a leather apron and safety glasses ...
And the duck is done in 1 minute and 10 seconds.

Even that can get sketchy ... :thup:

Any seasoned veterans who can help a brother out?
They are not air fryers. They don't fry anything. They are oddly shaped convection ovens. And they are oddly shaped for a reason. It's so you have to buy their proprietary accessories.

Better off getting one of those little toaster ovens/convection ovens. Most of those even have a rotisserie. They are much more versatile that those air "fryers".

If you want to fry something, get a fry daddy.

Last edited:
I don’t get it.

How is something fried if there’s no grease or oil involved?

It's not.

It's basically an electric toaster oven that blows the hot air around.

But it still has that electric heating element in there that burns the food.

And it's like that baked burned. You know what I'm talking about? Imagine baked burned french fries. Blech.

I've bought a couple different ones.

Gave em to the neighbors. Junk...

Last edited:
It's not.

It's basically an electric toaster oven that blows the hot air around.

But it still has that electric heating element in there that burns the food.

And it's liek that baked burned. You know what i'm talkign about? magine baked burned french fries. Blech.

I've bought a couple different ones.

Gave em to the neighbors. Junk...

We have a Breville smart oven Pro that air fries and does many other tasks.
It's big enough to put a whole chicken in and then some. While it's not cheap at $400 bucks it easily doubles as a second oven which are hard to find in a house since the advent of the microwave.
We've found that we rarely fire up the full size oven anymore since there's just the two of us.

1645241598285.png

We have a Breville smart oven Pro that air fries and does many other tasks.
It's big enough to put a whole chicken in and then some. While it's not cheap at $400 bucks it easily doubles as a second oven which are hard to find in a house since the advent of the microwave.
We've found that we rarely fire up the full size oven anymore since there's just the two of us.

View attachment 603312

Yours looks way better than the last one I bought.

Last one I bought was something called a Ninja Foodie digital fry oven.

Or something like that.

Think I only paid around 250 Federal Reserve Notes for it.

No where near what you paid for yours.

Yours looks way better than the last one I bought.

Last one I bought was something called a Ninja Foodie digital fry oven.

Or something like that.

Think I only paid around 250 Federal Reserve Notes for it.

No where near what you paid for yours.

I can honestly say it's worth every penny.
Your average home oven,even the nice ones,have temp fluctuations of plus or minus 20 degrees,so a 40 degree temp swing.
The Breville has plus or minus 5 degrees.
We did find that it's slightly hotter in the back so it's a good idea to rotate your food halfway through.

I don’t get it.

How is something fried if there’s no grease or oil involved?
Because "Air crisper" wasn't a sellable label for the product.
You can brush a slight amount of oil before air frying, but I noticed you don't need to when comparing both dry and lightly brushed or sprayed with oil items. Also some fryable products already have slight oily coatings. Some even flash fried before flash frozen.

What's kept me from buying one is I can't decide which one to get. My toaster oven gets a lot of work, and I'd like to get an air fryer that also has a toaster oven, I think, but then I think "Do I want to give up counter space?" and I end up not getting one. Maybe I'll get a smaller one and keep my toaster oven, even though it will eat up my counter space that way too. I do want an air fryer though, it's past time I get one.
I heard the toaster oven ones aren't true air fryers maybe because the air doesn't circle around in the way a round basket one does, maybe they are just convection ovens with diferent air flow and flow speeds. People prefer the round basket ones that just air fry.
People were discussing uses, and heat up speeds, I can toast a garlic bread in only 4 minutes in the air fryer, but 10 it takes in a toaster oven.

Any seasoned veterans who can help a brother out?

My assessment of the air fryer is this:

Think of it like a whisk, a colander, or a large stock pot. It has its uses for only a few types of food.

I have had mine for nearly a year now and I have invested like $50 in cookbooks to find recipes to make in it. I have tried everything from sausage to chicken to frittatas to just reheating. Only a handful of recipes works consistently well every time in the air fryer. I'm sure if I played around with it and could devote a week or so to cooking the same thing 3 or 4 times, I could get close to the quality I get out of my cheap oven/range top for some other tried-and-true recipes I have.... but it just tastes better when you can add stuff in while cooking.

That being said,my quick go-to are Yummy brand chicken strips... 400 degrees for 8 minutes gives you better results than the 20 minutes it takes in the oven and you don't have to flip them half-way through. Clean up is super quick and easy as well. Frozen french fries--I only use the air fryer. But beyond that...it collects dust. That isn't to say I don't love it. It just has limited uses.

Forum List

Back