Should DC become a state and get 2 Senators and voting rights for residents?

Why or why not?

I say NO.

The remaining part of DC should be given BACK to Maryland...and then the residents have voting rights as Marylandins.

Virginia already got their piece back...now give MAryland back their piece.

By the way, the 3 westernmost counties in MAryland are trying to leave Maryland and join WEST VIRGINIA.

MAryland should love this...shed off a bunch of Red votes.
it has voting rights for its residents

snd no it should not become a state. Our Founders out lined the reasons why a federal district was necessary quite nicely

I'm not going to pretend that you actually believe the horseshit you are posting in here.

I don't care what you do. I'm asking you for a valid reason to deny 700k American citizens equal representation in Congress. I mean other than your fear of a shift in the balances of power which to me just demonstrates your only motive here.

it has voting rights for its residents

snd no it should not become a state. Our Founders out lined the reasons why a federal district was necessary quite nicely
Nobody is saying to get rid of the district. Next.

I don't care what you do. I'm asking you for a valid reason to deny 700k American citizens equal representation in Congress. I mean other than your fear of a shift in the balances of power which to me just demonstrates your only motive here.
I've already given you a valid reason.

And it has been pointed out to you multiple times that there are ways to give them voting rights without creating a new state. There's literally no need for it at all.

The people of DC pay more Federal Taxes than 30 states but are not allowed to vote on how their tax dollars are spent.

During the Revolution, this was called ”Taxation without Representation”

If you are not going to treat them as US Citizens with voting rights, exempt them from federal taxes like Puerto Rico
Telling people to get an ID is not a threat.

And it has been pointed out to you multiple times that there are ways to give them voting rights without creating a new state. There's literally no need for it at all.
No, actually not a single realistic alternate to D.C. statehood has been posted here.

Virtual statehood - that's stupid

Absorb D.C. into a state that doesn't want to, never mind the citizens of D.C. don't either and a federal government that wouldn't have the power to anyway.

Those are not valid plans.

No, actually not a single realistic alternate to D.C. statehood has been posted here.

Absorb D.C. into a state that doesn't want to, never mind the citizens of D.C. don't either and a federal government that wouldn't have the power to anyway.

Virtual statehood can be done easily and grants the right to vote. You saying it's stupid doesn't mean anything, it merely reveals that your goal is a new state, not voting rights.

Virtual statehood can be done easily and grants the right to vote. You saying it's stupid doesn't mean anything, it merely reveals that your goal is a new state, not voting rights.
There is no such thing as virtual statehood. Why would DC residents who don't live in Maryland need to vote on Maryland issues? Just like why would Maryland want voters from an area they have no control over influencing their elections?

Maryland doesn't want DC either for reals or virtually (this is not a thing btw) so that kills it right there.

Who needs an alternative? The status quo is perfectly acceptable.

There is no such thing as virtual statehood. Why would DC residents who don't live in Maryland need to vote on Maryland issues? Just like why would Maryland want voters from an area they have no control over influencing their elections?

Maryland doesn't want DC either for reals or virtually (this is not a thing btw) so that kills it right there.
Who cares if they want DC or not? All your protests do is reveal your true goal, and it's not representation. Here's a thought. Who is REQUIRED to vote on state issues? I'm not, and I live in a state. All that is needed is for the local states to allow remote residents for voting and tax paying purposes.

And I find it ironic to an extreme that you complain about voters from areas they don't live in influencing elections. They already do, they're Americans living abroad who can vote absentee. Plus, you want additional Senators who will influence life over areas they don't live in.

Who needs an alternative? The status quo is perfectly acceptable.

Sure, deny 700k people representation because I guess according to you the Republican party couldn't compete and who cares if those people who pay more in taxes than you don't get a say in their government because you called them parasites.

That is not an argument, you're just giving up. If you can't make a point then just stop posting.

Sure, deny 700k people representation because I guess according to you the Republican party couldn't compete and who cares if those people who pay more in taxes than you don't get a say in their government because you called them parasites.

That is not an argument, you're just giving up. If you can't make a point then just stop posting.
They choose to live in a place that's not a state, that is the nation's capitol. If they really want to vote, there are ways to make that happen.

Why or why not?

I say NO.

The remaining part of DC should be given BACK to Maryland...and then the residents have voting rights as Marylandins.

Virginia already got their piece back...now give MAryland back their piece.

By the way, the 3 westernmost counties in MAryland are trying to leave Maryland and join WEST VIRGINIA.

MAryland should love this...shed off a bunch of Red votes.

Two words: Fuck and NO!

This argument comes down to creating two senators from a liberal District, nothing more.
It's the liberals way of stacking the Senate by coming through the back window.
I'm sure that if it was a conservative district that these advocates for statehood would be quiet as church mice.
And would find all sorts of Constitutional arguments why it should not happen.

Forum List

Back