Seven random Americans are Asked "Do "#BlueLivesMatter?"

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
The black man in the purple bow-tie completely nails it:

"That policeman is a citizen, just like we are. A policeman doesn't wake up in the morning and say, 'you know what, I'm going to kill someone.' ... They are humans, just like we are, they are fathers or mothers, brothers or sisters, so absolutely, they matter just as much as we do!"

In reality, all life matters, but in this polarized atmosphere where police and law enforcement are being shed in a bad light, it really must be said that their lives matter just as much as black ones do. Not all cops are racist, not all of them are killers, not all of them are out to kill someone for the fun of it. They have families, wives, husbands, children, brothers, sisters, mothers or fathers; they are citizens just like you and I. To continually vilify them only makes their work that much harder, and makes their work that much more dangerous.

There are other cops who give the rest of the force a bad name. I'm not discounting that. But there are honest, hard working cops out there who believe they are doing their jobs to protect the citizens of their jurisdictions and serve them all within their capacity. They should be treated with reverence, not hatred.

Last edited:
One of my oldest friends is a police officer. He just recently received an award for saving my sister in law's life. He works in a very corrupt department though.

One day he was talking to his boss about this kid who was running through the local high school raising hell. I can't remember the circumstances, but the kid wasn't armed or anything. He was running away from the Chief of Police, and he told my friend, "I wish I could have just shot him."

There are good people and bad people. It's ridiculous not to acknowledge that there are good and bad police. The people protecting us are human beings.

One of my oldest friends is a police officer. He just recently received an award for saving my sister in law's life. He works in a very corrupt department though.

One day he was talking to his boss about this kid who was running through the local high school raising hell. I can't remember the circumstances, but the kid wasn't armed or anything. He was running away from the Chief of Police, and he told my friend, "I wish I could have just shot him."

There are good people and bad people. It's ridiculous not to acknowledge that there are good and bad police. The people protecting us are human beings.

Free cheeseburgers for a month, aaron!

That sums it up quite nicely. It is too bad that all of this will most likely fall on deaf ears.

My Father taught us self-reliance. Being black, we were never really in a position to call the police (Even though my Father was a Brigadier General in the Air Force) the locals STILL didn't want to show up in "our" neighborhood. Therefore, it was incumbent on us to protect ourselves. So, do Blue lives matter? Yes. ALL lives matter.

My Sister was dating a young golden gloves boxer when we were stationed in Phoenix AZ (Luke AFB). This guy was one mean son-of a gun. Damn near beat his own brother to death. My Old man told him one day to "get the hell out of our house" and that pissed him off. he went around town (Avondale - little bitty place in the early 60s) telling everyone he was going to kill my old man. My Dad goes to the Sheriffs office (he knew the guy) and asked him what was going to happen to him if he killed the guy? The Sheriff says "You'll probably get a medal". So - couple of weeks later this guy calls the house and asks if he can meet with my Dad. The Old Man says "Sure, where and when?" so he loads his .45 and leaves the house. He says that when the kid came walking up to the car door, he was staring down the barrel of the 45. About 2 years later we ran into him out on the street and he asks my Dad "Sir, would you have really shot me that day?" My old man looked him square in the eye and says "You're damned right I would have." That was the end of that.

As much as I understand the job that Cops do - I don't need them.

Free cheeseburgers for a month, aaron!

That sums it up quite nicely. It is too bad that all of this will most likely fall on deaf ears.

I posted a topic a while ago about an autistic kid who had nobody show up at his birthday party. After a Facebook rant by his mother the police and firefighters pooled together to throw him a party.I bumped that thread about 3 times before I got a response. People are only interested in negative police stories.

Cops get excused for killing people when no one else does. That is a problem.

Note to the OP:

That was not anti-cop rhetoric. That was anti bad/frightened cop and bogus legal system rhetoric. Learn the difference.

And......in what ways do YOU support law enforcement? Are you opposed to public employee unionization?

I think police departments need a lot more oversight, sensitivity training, and a bigger budget to make it happen.

But I don't think they are going to get it.

So police are going to continue getting a bad rep, whether they are following procedure or not, as the training isn't as good as it could be, nor the oversight if the department is going downhill as far as human rights.

As to my personal attitude towards police, I am apathetic. Some police officers are honest and have a lot of integrity, though I have never lived outside a moderately wealthy neighborhood (where the police are generally more relaxed).

My Father taught us self-reliance. Being black, we were never really in a position to call the police (Even though my Father was a Brigadier General in the Air Force) the locals STILL didn't want to show up in "our" neighborhood. Therefore, it was incumbent on us to protect ourselves. So, do Blue lives matter? Yes. ALL lives matter.

My Sister was dating a young golden gloves boxer when we were stationed in Phoenix AZ (Luke AFB). This guy was one mean son-of a gun. Damn near beat his own brother to death. My Old man told him one day to "get the hell out of our house" and that pissed him off. he went around town (Avondale - little bitty place in the early 60s) telling everyone he was going to kill my old man. My Dad goes to the Sheriffs office (he knew the guy) and asked him what was going to happen to him if he killed the guy? The Sheriff says "You'll probably get a medal". So - couple of weeks later this guy calls the house and asks if he can meet with my Dad. The Old Man says "Sure, where and when?" so he loads his .45 and leaves the house. He says that when the kid came walking up to the car door, he was staring down the barrel of the 45. About 2 years later we ran into him out on the street and he asks my Dad "Sir, would you have really shot me that day?" My old man looked him square in the eye and says "You're damned right I would have." That was the end of that.

Where I live, we rely upon our own wits, our companion dogs, and whatever form of self-protection we choose. If you didn't, by the time the cops show up here, you are nothing but a blurb on the obit page. While I acknowledge the police are needed and beneficial in some settings, when you live "off grid", you'd better be capable of caring for yourself and your family. Oh, and be prepared for both two- and four-legged encounters...

Where I live, we rely upon our own wits, our companion dogs, and whatever form of self-protection we choose. If you didn't, by the time the cops show up here, you are nothing but a blurb on the obit page. While I acknowledge the police are needed and beneficial in some settings, when you live "off grid", you'd better be capable of caring for yourself and your family. Oh, and be prepared for both two- and four-legged encounters...

Same here. We live on 260 acres up here in Montana - miles from the nearest town - and that is EXACTLY the way I want it. The local Sheriff and I are good friends (we go fishing and hunting often) and I really like the guy. But, he understands that at, at least in this part of the country, people enjoy being left alone. He absolutely agrees that there are FAR too many police organizations in this country now. FAR too many. And, they have FAR TOO MUCH POWER.

Up here, however, we can't rely on cops to help us out. By the time they got here, whatever was going on would be history - not that much ever goes on. Therefore, we take care of ourselves. I would LOVE to take any one of these "gun grabbers" up to 14,000 feet and let them encounter a mountain lion or a pissed off bear or hell, even a ticked off bull moose - and then ask them, "what are you going to do now" Throw rocks at him?" :2up:

But we seldom ever have to worry about them (the gun grabbers). They tend to stay in the cities - they would never be "bothered" to come here. :eusa_naughty:

Same here. We live on 260 acres up here in Montana - miles from the nearest town - and that is EXACTLY the way I want it. The local Sheriff and I are good friends (we go fishing and hunting often) and I really like the guy. But, he understands that at, at least in this part of the country, people enjoy being left alone. He absolutely agrees that there are FAR too many police organizations in this country now. FAR too many. And, they have FAR TOO MUCH POWER.

Up here, however, we can't rely on cops to help us out. By the time they got here, whatever was going on would be history - not that much ever goes on. Therefore, we take care of ourselves. I would LOVE to take any one of these "gun grabbers" up to 14,000 feet and let them encounter a mountain lion or a pissed off bear or hell, even a ticked off bull moose - and then ask them, "what are you going to do now" Throw rocks at him?" :2up:

But we seldom ever have to worry about them (the gun grabbers). They tend to stay in the cities - they would never be "bothered" to come here. :eusa_naughty:
It would appear that you fully understand the Alaskan point of view! We have bears, moose, and wolves...not to mention self-sufficient and responsible people who want most of all to be left in piece to live, or die, as best suits them. A friend of mine, a US Marshall, once told me that if ordered to confiscate firearms, he knew exactly which households he would target. His targets included know drug dealers and other undesirable miscreants. All were domiciled in more densely inhabited areas.

Forum List

Back