Serious question - is air conditioning a human right?

How is this in politics?
In answer to your question, NO!

I'm getting there, was hoping for a few people to chime in

To me, this is political, but I won't complain if it gets moved to current events:

Federal judge orders Texas prisons to provide A/C

quote:
In a searing 100-page rebuke of the Texas prison system, a federal judge Wednesday ordered state officials to provide air-conditioned living quarters for elderly, disabled and other heat-sensitive inmates at the Pack Unit northwest of Houston.

The judge's ruling — which chastises prison officials for "obstruction" and "deliberate indifference" to inmate suffering — gives the state 15 days to draft a plan to ensure that 475 vulnerable inmates have living units cooled to no more than 88 degrees and that 1,000 others have easy access to indoor respite areas. The prison must also develop a heat-wave policy to prevent further injuries and install insect-proof window screens.

Why stop at prisoners, shouldn't everyone have the same rights to free A/C?
in a prison there are no choices, as there would be outside of prison....

outside of prison, someone without AC could go to a friend's house, an emergency room lobby, a walmart, a church or mall and get reprieve from the heat...

The judge's order was only for the sick, the disabled and the elderly who could die from the excessive heat in prison.... and we do not try to kill people in prison, unless they got the death penalty.... and we are not allowed to treat prisoners under our control with cruel and unusual punishment....

There is a HUGE choice here. There is the choice of the inmate to not have committed the crime that landed him/her in prison in the first place. Prisoners made their choices, now they face the consequences. Otherwise, they could go sit with friends, go to Walmart, or whatever. It is not cruel or unusual to let them sweat, either.
And, hey, let's just put the sick, elderly, and disabled out on the streets. Grant them all parole or pardon them. Then let's see how they support themselves and find cool places and medical care.

How is this in politics?

To me, this is political, but I won't complain if it gets moved to current events:

quote:
In a searing 100-page rebuke of the Texas prison system, a federal judge Wednesday ordered state officials to provide air-conditioned living quarters for elderly, disabled and other heat-sensitive inmates at the Pack Unit northwest of Houston.

The judge's ruling — which chastises prison officials for "obstruction" and "deliberate indifference" to inmate suffering — gives the state 15 days to draft a plan to ensure that 475 vulnerable inmates have living units cooled to no more than 88 degrees and that 1,000 others have easy access to indoor respite areas. The prison must also develop a heat-wave policy to prevent further injuries and install insect-proof window screens.

outside of prison, someone without AC could go to a friend's house, an emergency room lobby, a walmart, a church or mall and get reprieve from the heat...

The judge's order was only for the sick, the disabled and the elderly who could die from the excessive heat in prison.... and we do not try to kill people in prison, unless they got the death penalty.... and we are not allowed to treat prisoners under our control with cruel and unusual punishment....

Fuck em

Seriously, fuck em

They should not have a right to cold air

I hope this gets overturned on review
it's only for the vulnerable that could die from the heat wave or excessive heat. you are as the Bible describes the bad guys in the End Times, your thoughts and feelings and emotions for your fellow man are;

Waxed over cold!
Here's a real-life fact, everyone dies. OK? You got that? These people made their choices, tough crap if they have less than optimal, comfortable living conditions. Plus, the sooner they die, the sooner the taxpayer has to quit paying for their upkeep.

So, this is a stupid ruling

There should never be a judicial mandate to make convicts comfy

I do think we should arrest less people and do more to prevent rapes and sexual subjugation in prisons, but guaranteed TV and AC?

Fuck no

Yes, you do want these people in air conditioning. The weren't told they should be providing air conditioning for all. They have singled out the elderly and those with other illnesses. They do need to provide some cooling areas for others.

Look, you don't want a large amount of people in a prison so ill they are vomiting or the medical conditions they already have are impacted and they need to be transported. You don't want them dying on you.

It's a petty thing to argue over.
OK, make sure they have access to plenty of water and train them to stay hydrated. More is not needed. Hell, just turn the fire hoses on them if they're that overheated...

I do think we should arrest less people and do more to prevent rapes and sexual subjugation in prisons, but guaranteed TV and AC?

Fuck no

Yes, you do want these people in air conditioning. The weren't told they should be providing air conditioning for all. They have singled out the elderly and those with other illnesses. They do need to provide some cooling areas for others.

Look, you don't want a large amount of people in a prison so ill they are vomiting or the medical conditions they already have are impacted and they need to be transported. You don't want them dying on you.

OK, make sure they have access to plenty of water and train them to stay hydrated. More is not needed. Hell, just turn the fire hoses on them if they're that overheated...

No.

How is this in politics?

quote:

Even though you RWNJs want to gut the constitution, its still in force. Suck it up little cupcake, and get it through your thick skull that patriotic Americans will fight you.

How is air conditioning a right for every American? How is denying an American air conditioning a violation of the constitution? Please the name of the part of the constitution that calls air conditioning a right for all Americans?

Fuck no

No.
No, you don't think they should have access to plentiful water?

For those whose life is endangered, prisoners should have air conditioning, for the rest, they don't need it. Many Americans don't have air conditioning, they don't need to be more comfortable than the rest of America.

Fuck no

No.
No, you don't think they should have access to plentiful water?

Try again.

How is this in politics?

quote:

Even though you RWNJs want to gut the constitution, its still in force. Suck it up little cupcake, and get it through your thick skull that patriotic Americans will fight you.

How is air conditioning a right for every American? How is denying an American air conditioning a violation of the constitution? Please the name of the part of the constitution that calls air conditioning a right for all Americans?

Bill of Rights.

Amendment VIII
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

As a former CO, I see no reason to give them a damn thing more than they need.

HOWEVER, I see no reason not to give necessary aid to those in need.

How is this in politics?

quote:

Fuck em

Seriously, fuck em

They should not have a right to cold air

I hope this gets overturned on review
it's only for the vulnerable that could die from the heat wave or excessive heat. you are as the Bible describes the bad guys in the End Times, your thoughts and feelings and emotions for your fellow man are;

Waxed over cold!
Here's a real-life fact, everyone dies. OK? You got that? These people made their choices, tough crap if they have less than optimal, comfortable living conditions. Plus, the sooner they die, the sooner the taxpayer has to quit paying for their upkeep.
do you think everyone in prison is a murderer and deserves death or maiming or great harm?

The ruling for AC was for the vulnerable that can be harmed or put in grave danger in excessive heat....they only have to cool the room for them, 88 degrees or below....88 degrees is still gosh awful hot, BUT these vulnerable will not be made sicker...or die from their rooms being 88.

I think it is reasonable to not kill these vulnerable to excessive heat or make them even sicker, the inmates that never received a death sentence for their crimes.

If it were my father or husband or uncle or brother etc and they were in jail and disabled or sick or old, I would not want or expect the prison/my government killing them for a crime that never had a death sentence for it.

Is ac necessary?

I think not

Could it prolong their life? Maybe, but that's not something they have a right to

Anology - if an inmate needs a kidney, should he be on the list for a transplant?

Just wondering, do you think it is inhumane to have dogs outdoors?

My wife and daughter think that animals have a right to be indoors, and despite my pointing out that OUTDOORS IS HOW THEY EVOLVED, they both insist it is cruel and inhumane to leave a dog outside.

roflmao

Lack of air conditioning is not cruel as many people do not have it. Neither is it unusual for the same reasons. According to the Constitution the punishment must be both cruel and unusual to be prohibited and lack of air conditioning is neither.

While it is a nice thing to provide air conditioning to the elderly, sick or disabled failure to do so is not a violation of rights.
if you kill them or make them sicker, it is cruel and unusual punishment not part of the sentence...

I disagree.

They are in Prison and can be given water to hydrate with. Nowhere in the constitution does it require our government to offer A\C to prisoners.

Does it bother me they are forcing the State of Texas to do this?

No, but again it is not require by the constitution to do this.

Is ac necessary?

I think not

Could it prolong their life? Maybe, but that's not something they have a right to

Anology - if an inmate needs a kidney, should have he be on the list for a transplant?
Have you ever lived in Texas during the summer?

AC is a life preserving matter, especially for the elderly and many sick.

Is ac necessary?

I think not

Anology - if an inmate needs a kidney, should he be on the list for a transplant?
Is ac necessary?

To those listed, yes

Really?

Were they sentenced to death?

Why wouldn't he be?

again, when he was incarcerated, was it a death penalty?

Lack of air conditioning is not cruel as many people do not have it. Neither is it unusual for the same reasons. According to the Constitution the punishment must be both cruel and unusual to be prohibited and lack of air conditioning is neither.

While it is a nice thing to provide air conditioning to the elderly, sick or disabled failure to do so is not a violation of rights.
if you kill them or make them sicker, it is cruel and unusual punishment not part of the sentence...

I disagree.

They are in Prison and can be given water to hydrate with. Nowhere in the constitution does it require our government to offer A\C to prisoners.

Does it bother me they are forcing the State of Texas to do this?

No, but again it is not require by the constitution to do this.
Nowhere in the constitution does it require our government to offer A\C to prisoners.
Cruel and unusual punishment.

Look it up

Forum List

Back