Senator Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) Announces She Will Introduce Resolution To Remove Russia From SWIFT Banking System

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
If the US can remove Iran from SWIFT in 2012, they can remove Russia now for their war crimes.

Mr. President, do the right thing and show Putin we won’t stand for his inhumanity. Let’s encourage our European allies to help get the Kremlin out of SWIFT.

Not very knowledgable about SWIFT but it appears that is not a system we control unilaterally.

This is a meaningless gesture to gain attention in a news cycle.

If the US can remove Iran from SWIFT in 2012, they can remove Russia now for their war crimes.

Mr. President, do the right thing and show Putin we won’t stand for his inhumanity. Let’s encourage our European allies to help get the Kremlin out of SWIFT.

She must have seen where they did remove most of Russian banks from SWIFT earlier today.

So no Russian citizen with a bank account could do anything?
Seems a bit draconian. I doubt most Russians want anything to do with the war.

How will we pay Russia for oil without SWIFT?

Hunter's on his way in Air Force One with the cash ...

6165ebb3991f6b00186572f4.jpg

Even though this is a bit of a PR stunt, it's nice to see Republicans fall on the correct side of ethics, morality, and history, after the last 5 years of whatever the fuck they were.

Even though this is a bit of a PR stunt, it's nice to see Republicans fall on the correct side of ethics, morality, and history, after the last 5 years of whatever the fuck they were.
unless Biden also wants to remove russia from swift, then republicans would need to fight to keep russia in swift.

unless Biden also wants to remove russia from swift, then republicans would need to fight to keep russia in swift.

It's not Biden's decision. As has been pointed out before, SWIFT is a private, European-owned and operated company.

I would still like to see the resolution passed. It shows unity of our government and solidarity with Ukraine.

It's not Biden's decision. As has been pointed out before, SWIFT is a private, European-owned and operated company.
It's Biden's decision whether or not the US joins its allies in demanding that russia be shut out.

Seems to be working.

It's Biden's decision whether or not the US joins its allies in demanding that russia be shut out.

Seems to be working.

I would call it a request rather than a demand, since it has no teeth.

And it remains unclear just how committed Europeans are to a financial embargo of Russia (one of their largest trading partners).

But, I'm all for symbolic gestures when you have nothing else to offer.

Fake news! All right wingers support putin!

I would call it a request rather than a demand, since it has no teeth.
The request has no teeth?

As I understand it, it's not really a request. SWIFT is a co-op. The US andits allies didn't so much request it as they did just DO it.

They already started.

The request has no teeth?

As I understand it, it's not really a request. SWIFT is a co-op. The US andits allies didn't so much request it as they did just DO it.

They already started.

A demand would have no teeth. The US is in no legal position to tell EU companies how to operate. We could threaten SWIFT with sanctions on their US operations (most US banks are members) but those sanctions would impact American companies worse than it would SWIFT.

I did say asking, politely, for Russian banks to be removed from SWIFT would be a good move and it appears that's what SWIFT is doing, that is in response to EU pressure, and since they are regulated by the EU, the EU has pressure to make it happen.

For Biden to take credit for Russian expulsion from SWIFT would be like Tibet claiming to be responsible for an Allied Victory in World War II.

Forum List

Back